HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A road win against a 9-1 top-25 team while platooning 3rd and 4th string QBs, top WR is out, down multiple OL, the opposing team’s QB is a Heisman candidate, 21 point underdogs. We fight for 3 first downs late I n the 4th quarter to ice the game. Oh yeah, on a team that was 10-30 in the 3.5 years before Key takes over. Imagine having your head so far up your own [donkey] you don’t see the magnificence on that.

If you can’t find one singular reason Key should be retained then I’m not sure there’s any coach that’s going to satisfy you. Key took over a program in turmoil, he replaced a position coach that resigned mid-season for a reason the public isn’t even aware of. A team that for 3 years found incredible ways to lose football games. He’s turned them into at the very least a .500 team.

Lance Leipold went 2-10 at Kansas last year. What the **** else do you want Key to do? Yeah he lost to Virginia at home. Our starting QB went out of the game in the first half. Do you not see the difference between the games when Gibson was forced into action because of injury, and the one game we played where we actually created a gameplan set up for Gibson and Taisun? Come tf on dude. You’re better than that. If you’re an athlete you should know how important culture is to a team. It’s hard to break out of a losing culture like Tech had for the last 3+ years. Key has done it in 7 games.
Both our QB's did some good things tonight. Gibson was better than I thought he could perform. Good for him. Phom-etc can run it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
TCU has a better SOS than UGA, OSU, and Clemson. UNC sos is definitely weak, but not sure why you are trashing TCU.
It’s not so much trashing TCU as relating how they are winning games. TCU is playing a lot of close games that could go either way. Today they had to rush onto the field with seconds left to kick a game winning field goal against an average team. UNC has been doing the same thing against lesser competition. Hence a poor man’s TCU. UNC finally got bit by it today. TCU managed to survive again.

JacketFan137

Banned
key with full support from the program is an interesting prospect and it is a true 50/50 for me who i’d prefer over him and chadwell (who i believe will be hired based on the rumors from our sources here).

i think there are some shortcomings on offense (regardless of who is playing qb), but the team plays hard, we make way less mistakes, and i think the players love him.

if he is not hired this time around i hope that in the future he is heavily considered because having a coach that loves tech AND is a competent coach is something i haven’t felt in 20+ years

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Do any deep throats have any info on who the Money Men want as coach? We keep hearing of chadwell and key, but what if the money men are telling JBatt “bring Ted Roof home or no $20 million check”?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What's odd is that until 2018, Collins was never connected to that class, but it was credited to Giff Smith. Those are facts as well.
No they’re not. Collins was absolutely considered to have had a big hand in that class. Giff was also considered to have a big hand in that class. Why do people always have to manufacture reasons to disagree when it’s actually both things being partly correct. They both did a tremendous job getting that class and what was also widely felt was that Giff and Chan had finally figured out how to recruit here after NOT having had huge success before then.

See what I did there? Everyone who had a hand in a positive thing got credit instead of using that positive thing to bash other people’s heads in? Both of you are spouting some facts. Right up until you each claim it was one OR the other of Giff and Geoff who were totally responsible for that terrific class.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No they’re not. Collins was absolutely considered to have had a big hand in that class. Giff was also considered to have a big hand in that class. Why do people always have to manufacture reasons to disagree when it’s actually both things being partly correct. They both did a tremendous job getting that class and what was also widely felt was that Giff and Chan had finally figured out how to recruit here after NOT having had huge success before then.

See what I did there? Everyone who had a hand in a positive thing got credit instead of using that positive thing to bash other people’s heads in? Both of you are spouting some facts. Right up until you each claim it was one OR the other of Giff and Geoff who were totally responsible for that terrific class.

From reading the message boards here and elsewhere I believe many people did not take statistics. If they did, they skipped the day where Venn diagrams and intersecting sets were discussed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is something I have also considered. For my peace of mind with Key it depends on the mood of the team. Are they working their tails off in practice or just trying to get past these last two games? Does it look like our best players are planning to stay? Or, will we be decimated by defections? Batt should have a feel for that by now. Key has been a genuine improvement over Collins and he is a good, solid coach. I am not sure he can get us back to winning consistently, but he is an improvement. I also think this depends on whether any of our top candidates are possible. As @RamblinRed posted earlier, we are not sure if any of our top candidates are interested in coaching at GT under any set of conditions. Key might be better than anyone we could actually hire.
The question this post posed may have been answered. The team really cares about Key and they are "working their tails off."

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Boy, my post did not age well. To be fair, it was 17-0 when I wrote it. Any way, I am certainly glad we came back and won. Kudos to Key, Thatcher the rest of the coaches and, especially, the players for gutting out an exceptional road win against a top 15 team.

I see the pendulum has swung back where a number of fonts are again all in for Key. I guess we are going to ignore any evidence that we will suffer terribly inconsistent play under Key like the two road upset wins coupled with the two bad home losses to UVA and Miami. I think Key could be an excellent coach one day. I would put Key ahead of several candidates (McGee for one example), but still prefer Chadwell or BOB, but that is just me.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I think for me if it comes down to Chadwell or Key the only question I have is - what does your staff look like? I think they both could be successful - in their own ways. what if Key can bring in a staff that is >>> Chadwells?

Guys like Kirby and Saban are only as good as their overall coaching staff is.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think for me if it comes down to Chadwell or Key the only question I have is - what does your staff look like? I think they both could be successful - in their own ways. what if Key can bring in a staff that is >>> Chadwells?

BOB might be available as OC if Saban runs him off.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Boy, my post did not age well. To be fair, it was 17-0 when I wrote it. Any way, I am certainly glad we came back and won. Kudos to Key, Thatcher the rest of the coaches and, especially, the players for gutting out an exceptional road win against a top 15 team.

I see the pendulum has swung back where a number of fonts are again all in for Key. I guess we are going to ignore any evidence that we will suffer terribly inconsistent play under Key like the two road upset wins coupled with the two bad home losses to UVA and Miami. I think Key could be an excellent coach one day. I would put Key ahead of several candidates (McGee for one example), but still prefer Chadwell or BOB, but that is just me.
You and I know no matter who is the next head coach they will not win 9+ games next year and the 2nd year.
I respect you think Chadwell and Bob would be a good pick. I really think Key could be. But knowing you I know we are Tech Fans and even if they pick someone else, we will back them. as least till .................

stech81

Helluva Engineer

You are right any Head Coach needs a good staff, there would be my 1 st question to them who are you going to want as OC and DC.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do any deep throats have any info on who the Money Men want as coach? We keep hearing of chadwell and key, but what if the money men are telling JBatt “bring Ted Roof home or no $20 million check”?
Fwiw, I haven't heard ANY chatter amongst my contacts about Chadwell. I feel like I've got some pretty good sources, but maybe not the most important sources since, if they had their way, we would've fired Todd years ago. I know it was on a different board, but there's a reason why I posted about JBatt so early in the AD search.

Key has always been the O'Leary plan in some important eyes, but 5-3 was the arbitrary target in my mind there and it will be hard to end the season against the #1 team and then turnaround and hire the guy. It also doesn't fit the splash hire that would back up Cabrera's talk. That said, there is another way to make a splash.... Peyton or Matt Ryan as OC... I doubt we could talk either of them into it, but they're both in close enough circles with Key that it's a possibility.

JacketFan137

Banned
Fwiw, I haven't heard ANY chatter amongst my contacts about Chadwell. I feel like I've got some pretty good sources, but maybe not the most important sources since, if they had their way, we would've fired Todd years ago. I know it was on a different board, but there's a reason why I posted about JBatt so early in the AD search.

Key has always been the O'Leary plan in some important eyes, but 5-3 was the arbitrary target in my mind there and it will be hard to end the season against the #1 team and then turnaround and hire the guy. It also doesn't fit the splash hire that would back up Cabrera's talk. That said, there is another way to make a splash.... Peyton or Matt Ryan as OC... I doubt we could talk either of them into it, but they're both in close enough circles with Key that it's a possibility.
i just don’t see peyton or matt ryan taking that job today. peyton seems like the media money is flowing and he probably doesn’t have to do half the work he’d have to do to coach at this level. matt ryan is one of the richest nfl players ever and i frankly don’t think tech has the resources or the notoriety to entice him to coach with 320 mil career earnings