HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
i think it would be a hard sell for a new AD to hire a guy that played a part in us getting to this situation
Agreed. Fair or not, Key was part of the problem. The OL is nothing special (below average) which was his group. If Key stays, he might keep on the OC or DC and I want a fresh start all around. Very unimpressed by Chip Long. Terrible game plan and play calling. Thatcher, maybe with improved talent he's okay, but again...fresh start please.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
If we hire Primetime or Chadwell, I'll give up on GT football and start rooting for someone else.
I'll pull for whomever we hire (hopefully not any of the current staff retained...fresh start). I personally would be fine with either of those two. I don't want a retread coach that didn't improve a program. Other than that, I am open to the hire. I am not really for O'Brien, Mullen or other recycled coaches, but I'd be all aboard those trains after they announce the hire. They at least both have as many pros as cons.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Im honestly torn about retaining coach key as HC.
The team seems to like him and honestly there isn't much he can change right now, would.love to see what he could do with an off-season behind him .
But on the flip side the offensive side has had some quirks under him the last few years

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think like any of these guys, we'd want to know what staff they plan to assemble. How much of our current staff would Key keep, who would he replace? It's a question for every candidate.
I said this before the first question I would ask each candidate for Head Coach who would you hire as the OC and DC

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I do think it's so funny how much recency bias there is. We beat a 2-6 VT team and suddenly we need to keep Brent Key. Lay an Egg vs FSU and UVA and he's a useless coach.

We just need to start fresh. Clean slate, no Collins baggage. Thanks for giving us some more wins than we expected, but happy trails coach

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think Key could be a really good head coach at Georgia Tech, but he’s just too closely connected to what has transpired the last several years to get the job right now.

At 44, it’s likely he’ll go be an assistant head coach and OL coach for somebody like Auburn, South Carolina, Penn State, etc for a couple of years. I bet by age 50 he’ll be a full time HC somewhere. Maybe the next time Tech is doing a coaching search Key is in position to take over the job full time, with a quality resume.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If aTm fired Jimbo, what are the thoughts, regarding him as the hire?
I just threw up in my mouth.

He can’t win with the resources he has at TAMU. If he came to GT, his biggest success would be in making us forget the misery of our previous “coach”.

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I do think it's so funny how much recency bias there is. We beat a 2-6 VT team and suddenly we need to keep Brent Key. Lay an Egg vs FSU and UVA and he's a useless coach.

We just need to start fresh. Clean slate, no Collins baggage. Thanks for giving us some more wins than we expected, but happy trails coach
The bar for him to be considered as a serious candidate was 5-3. It's still highly unlikely, but shouldn't be discounted until it's impossible. If you can find a homerun hire, I wouldn't wait though.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since many seem to like O'Brien as new Head Coach, I will state some facts and rumors regarding his connections with GT. He was an offensive graduate assistant coach at Tech in 1995-1997; the Tech records for those three years were 6-5, 5-6, and 7-5. He was the Running Back Coach under Ralph Friegden for years 1998-2000; The record for Tech under Friegden for those years were 10-2, 8-4, and 9-3.

He was the Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach for years 2001-2002; the Tech record for those two years were 8-5 and 7-6. He was also the assistant HC for 2002. He was the Running Back Coach at Maryland for 2003-2004; The record at Maryland were 10-3 and 5-6 under OC Ralph Friegden. He was the Offensive Coordinator for Duke in 2005-2006; Dukes record for those two years were 5-6 and 9-4.

He is presently the OC at Alabama and knows Batt very well. He was also a coach at GT when Brent Key played for Tech. There was a rumor that the prominent candidate has ties to GT. There is also the rumor that O'Leary has made comments of O'Brien's popularity as the new Tech Head Coach.

It is very likely O'Brien knows most of the officers and money backers from his stints at GT. Now, I still think he will be named the new Head Coach even though I dislike the choice. Saban probably does not want a change at present since he has an outside chance of being in the playoffs. However, if he loses to LSU Saturday, Alabama is definitely out of that picture; there are also rumors that Alabama fans are not happy with O'Briens performance. We may know on Monday the new Head Coach.
Did anyone read this? No comments! How much does he currently make?