HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I dont want a guy "for what he did". I want one "for what he is doing!". BOB is out. Mullen is out. Coach O is out. Chadwell is a favorite of mine, but I worry if he will bring his full staff or find assistants with positive P5 coaching and recruiting experience.
A head coach just closes the deal with recruits. Kirby aint breaking down film and finding a guy in the boonies of south Georgia. He's there to make a splash at a game his senior year and talk to mama and grandmama.
All that being said, im happy with how tight lipped the search is. ADJB is very impressive so far. Go Tech!

I still think people underestimate how good of a coach O'Brien is. He was a HFC in college for 2 seasons under the worst circumstance, and coached in the B1G. By any measure he did a great job there. Imagine if O'Brien had a full deck of cards to play with while at Penn State. Then he went to the NFL and had a far better career there than guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrer, Matt Rhule...coaches other schools would break the bank for. As an OC for Saban, his offenses have been just as good as his predecessors.

GT needs a coach that can recruit, develop players, and has a proven scheme.

1. Recruiting: Imagine having to recruit to a school that was basically given the death penalty. That's what O'Brien had to do at Penn State. All he did was talk a 5 star QB into signing with him.
2. Developing Players: He developed a walk on QB into an NFL player, and one of the best QBs in the B1G.
3. Proven Scheme: Look at what he did at Penn State. He also coached Deshaun Watson at Houston. Look at his offense at 'Bama and the concepts they use. He's like Kiffin in that he's not married to a system but molds the system to the players he has. He's coached dual threat QBs and classic drop back passers...he's had success with all of them.

IMO, being an OC for Bama and spending most of his head coaching years in the NFL has masked just how good of a HFC O'Brien actually is. O'Brien, IMO, is George O'Leary with a higher upside.

Watch whoever gets O'Brien. Strong rumor is this is O'Brien last season coaching for Saban. There's a school that's going to get a VERY good coach. He's not a sexy pick like Kiffin or Chadwell, but he's just a very good coach like Leipold or Fritz would be.

slugboy

Staff member
On recruiting rankings, GT, and Deion Sanders:
  • There seems to be a strong difference between classes 1-5, 6-10, 11-20, and 21-25 or so (it gets weaker as you get above 20 in the rankings).
  • The top 5 classes have multiple 5* players
  • If a top 10 class doesn't have a 5*, then it's loaded with high 4*'s
  • A 5* player is frequently part of a top 20 class, but not always
  • At the top 20 level, your players have to skew higher--if you have a 3*, they're a "higher 3*"
  • Deion Sanders did get a 5* DB to Jackson State. FSU "accused" Sanders of using Barstool NIL money to "buy" a player, but Sanders denied having access to any large pool of NIL money. Barstool also denied it. However, since then, Sander's son signed a deal with Tom Brady's company, their 5* CB signed a deal with a hoodie company, and Michael Strahan's company also signed a deal. https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/?team-key=7358. (google "Jackson State Football NIL deals" to find some of the deals)
  • Texas A&M reportedly DID (indirectly) pay a ton for their #1 ranked class last year.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Deion
2. Chadwell
3. BOB

That has to be the pecking order. Deion admittedly is a high risk but the upside is too high to not pursue it. He can truly be the gamechanger that awakes the sleeping giant if given the right support from Batt, Cabrera and the hill.

The way I think of it, the only hire that Kirby and uGA don't want to see at Tech is Deion. Anyone else will be business as usual - Deion will apply some pressure. With the emergence of the transfer portal, he can accelerate a 3-year rebuild into 1-year very quickly. Kids will be lining up to play for him at a P5 school in a big city. If the NIL money follows - there is no reason we can't recruit at the level of FSU and Miami.

Chadwell would be a great X & Os fit but I worry about the culture fit - that is the only thing holding him back from being a homerun - he would be a A- or B+ hire though. His scheme seems like it was built for this program.

BOB is not sexy at all but admittedly the guy can coach football, unlike TFG. That is an improvement of itself. What he did at Penn St was remarkable - and deserves credit for that. Wouldn't energize the fanbase, but he could achieve results in a historically weak ACC quickly I think.

If not any of those guys - Riley is intriguing but lacks the HC experience most of us would like to see. Mullen doesn't have the fire in him to put the necessary work in to rebuild this program - this will be one of the hardest jobs in the country.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
My mom is good friends with someone who works at the firm (I think it's called Parker) who Tech hired to help hire the coach. She says that Deion is not getting the job. She says they most likely have our guy after the season... december-january months. She says they're going through a long process to determine the coach.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My mom is good friends with someone who works at the firm (I think it's called Parker) who Tech hired to help hire the coach. She says that Deion is not getting the job. She says they most likely have our guy after the season... december-january months. She says they're going through a long process to determine the coach.
I mean this sincerely. It is refreshing to have some younger voices here. This may be the first time someone has referred to their mom as a source of information on this site. My mom (RIP) knew I was in school at GT up the road aways in Atlanta but I don't know that she was aware that we had a FB team. I smiled when I read this.

JacketFan137

Banned
if it lasts until january that would be pretty grim. need a guy in before then to salvage what’s left of the 23 class

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
if it lasts until january that would be pretty grim. need a guy in before then to salvage what’s left of the 23 class
This should likely be resolved in December. Even if the selection is on the staff of a team in the playoffs, an announcement could still be made while allowing them to finish the season. Seems that was the case when the puppies hired Kirby.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Not having a coach lined up until late December or January would be a massive failure. Most desirable coaches will have been hired by then, and you would completely miss ESD and give almost no time to grab anyone before NSD. Parker should be nearly done, if not already done, with their work related to the coaching search by now. They were hired over a month ago, and Batt was hired 2.5 weeks ago.

slugboy

Staff member
A couple of data points:
1. Mullen has a reputation of being very difficult to get along with. That's a key reason why he did not last at UF.
2. In the current Sagarin ratings, Coastal Carolina comes in at number 80.

This may not be Coastal's high water mark, but they're good for the Sun Belt. JMU or AppState might be the cream of the crop there this year. Look for "CCU" in the SunBelt row:
1667397489590.png

Coastal Carolina basically came out of nowhere. Sagarin does OK, but I think it's better for basketball than for football. Still, it's easy to get to. Here's some info for the past couple of years (2020 and 2021) https://www.bcftoys.com/coastal-carolina
They're a better than average team. Their offense just flat out rocks. Considering they didn't get any 4* athletes last year, and their recruiting isn't as strong as ours, they get a ton out of the players they do get. Where they've fallen back lately has been on defense.
1667401240651.png

If you could combine what they do on offense with what we do on defense this year, you'd have a strong team:

Opponent-Adjusted Efficiency​

Season
Rec
FBS
FEI
Rk
OFEI
Rk
DFEI
Rk
2017​
3-9​
3-8​
-.66​
115​
-.42​
93​
-.84​
112​
2018​
5-7​
4-7​
-.78​
117​
-.37​
88​
-1.44​
127​
2019​
5-7​
4-7​
-.54​
111​
-.26​
89​
-.92​
114​
2020​
11-1​
10-1​
.84​
7​
1.35​
9​
.65​
16​
2021​
11-2​
10-2​
.22​
47​
.90​
17​
-.56​
101​

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thank God

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Not having a coach lined up until late December or January would be a massive failure. Most desirable coaches will have been hired by then, and you would completely miss ESD and give almost no time to grab anyone before NSD. Parker should be nearly done, if not already done, with their work related to the coaching search by now. They were hired over a month ago, and Batt was hired 2.5 weeks ago.
She’s not on the case of hiring the coach, but she does work for the company. Despite her saying this I doubt it lasts that long. I think she meant early December.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Not doubting you but Im still struggling to understand why Deion isnt at least being considered. It seems like we should at least interview him unless he is the one saying that he has no interest.

Also, did she mention anyone that is being considered?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Could announce in December even if still coaching in a bowl game. Some stay until after the bowl, some don't. HC probably stays, assistant walks, although GC came before temple bowl game where Duke destroyed them. That's when I was worried about his Temple staff coming with him.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not doubting you but Im still struggling to understand why Deion isnt at least being considered. It seems like we should at least interview him unless he is the one saying that he has no interest.

As to the first part... It’s a two way street...

The second... 🍿

CEB

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, if we’re announcing in January, that means our guy is instrumental for a team playing in a MEANINGFUL bowl game in January.
Sounds OK to me...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, if we’re announcing in January, that means our guy is instrumental for a team playing in a MEANINGFUL bowl game in January.
Sounds OK to me...
There may not be an official announcement, but I can't imagine the cat staying in the bag until January. Somebody somewhere's going to let it out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I can remember a number of coaches who were interested coaching at Tech and Tech said, "Not a good culture fit" ... Deion would be a positive for many programs where there is a good fit. I'm not sure that's Tech.

In fact, word is Auburn already has its coach identified and because he is currently coaching, they will announce the day after the Alabama game. The money is on Lane Kiffin.