HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
that i agree with lol

i’m pretty interested to see how big they go cause frankly there doesn’t seem to be a big name hire out there that is glaringly obvious for them. unless they poach a guy like kiffin or someone else who is currently employed

Well, heavy rumor is donors are going to throw money at Kiffin...and I can actually see Kiffin take the job because he's the type to tell donors to "F off".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's no offsetting your terrible taste for bad ice cream.

College Accuse GIF

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell has increased Coastal’s recruiting over his tenure there. No, he’s not bringing in any 4 stars, but he’s recruiting to a Sun Belt school that was in the FCS 5 years ago.

Coastal’s 2019 recruiting class finished 7th in the Sun Belt with only 9 3-star commits out of 30 total, for an average composite score of 78.62. The 2022 class finished 3rd in the Sun Belt with 17 3-star commits out of 19 total for an average composite rating of 83.39. For the 2023 class they currently have 11 3-stars committed out of 12 total commits, and the 3rd highest average rating.

Chadwell had no ammunition to recruit with in his early years. Coastal had no football history to look back to, no energetic fan base, located in a portion of the state that doesn’t really care about football, and competing against much bigger programs. Even in the Sun Belt, Coastal isn’t all that desirable. You have teams with a ton of history and support in App State, Marshall, UL-Lafayette, and Georgia Southern. You have Georgia State with the built in advantage of being in Atlanta. UL-Monroe, and both Troy and South Alabama are located in fertile recruiting ground. Chadwell and his staff have proved they can recruit at the top for their level.

They’re also already recruiting the right places. They don’t have name recognition because Coastal isn’t a large brand, but if you attach them to GT they become larger. Just in Georgia they already have signed recruits from Hapeville, McEachern, Parkview, East Coweta, Westside, Carver, Langston Hughes, and more. Plus they recruit Florida and Alabama heavily. They have players from IMG, Lakeland, Hoover, La Salle, etc. places we already recruit heavily.

CGC’s 2022 class finished 55th nationally, 9th in the ACC, and 6th in the ACC by average composite rating. The 2021 class was 47th nationally, 11th in the ACC, and 6th in the ACC by average composite rating. I believe Chadwell could walk in the door tomorrow and replicate those numbers. Give him a year or 2 and results to show up on the field and those numbers will get even better. And also, the thing about Chadwell is that I believe we can make a bowl game every year if he doesn’t improve recruiting at all (which I think he will). The only concern would be getting him a really solid defensive staff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Auburn will throw crazy money at Kiffin. They were semi close to getting him last go around. Kiffin would be paid insanely well at Auburn. I just want Kiffin to go to Auburn to see how him and the notorious auburn boosters mix together.

Even if Auburn hires Kiffin, Ole Miss would still be a more attractive job than GT, so we still stay a few spots down in the HC pecking order.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Going to list HC candidates with their positives and negatives.

Deion Sanders:
Positives: Would bring a lot of needed good attention to the program when it needs it the most, would put fans back in the stands which is what tech needs desperately, Deion would attract lots of side walk fans, the NIL deals with Deion at the helm would be insane. He already has ties to barstool with him being apart of a podcast there and a NIL deal from barstool sports helped get Travis Hunter there. Deion would also recruit at the top of the ACC, it would be around 3rd in the acc just behind Florida state and then Clemson. The talent I’ve heard he would bring in is truly remarkable.
Negatives: He brings a lot of attention to himself, it’s both a positive and a negative. We saw how CGC had a lot of attention to himself and how he portrayed himself to the media. I don’t think it would be weird like CGC but you have to ask yourself, is Deion all about Deion or is it a mixture of coaching, recruits, program and himself. He’s not experienced. His first college job is at a HBCU where he has a lot more talent. You have to wonder is he actually coaching and developing this kids up or is he out talenting other schools.
Conclusion: Extremely risky but the results could be outstanding.

Garret Riley:
Positives: Young offensive mastermind, runs the same offense as his older brother Lincoln and we’ve seen how it’s translated to being a HC, appears to be extremely smart in the way he speaks of his offensive philosophies and thoughts. What you’re hoping here is that he’s like his older brother Lincoln. They’ve followed a similar career path and Garret appears to be an exact replica of Lincoln when Lincoln was this age and this point of his career. Offensive coordinator for a potential playoff team would be a very good hire to be your HC, his offense ranks very highly nationally, in 1 year has developed Max Duggan into a very good QB when it wasn’t even know if he was going to be the starter.
Negatives: Young, being young can be a positive and a negative. You would always like a really experienced guy but those type of candidates are looking at bigger schools or already at bigger schools.
Conclusion: I think Garrett Riley would be an amazing hire. I think he’s the next Lincoln Riley or similar too in terms of their minds. You would be snatching up a guy before the massive schools like an Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M come calling.
BOB:
Positives: Been at tech already and knows the challenges of coaching here. He’s not a tech guy, he’s just worked here before. He truly did a remarkable job at Penn state fixing that mess, successful as a HC in the NFL and always made the playoffs. No non sense type of guy. Would bring stability to the program.
Negatives: He’s a vanilla offensive kind, he runs the same plays over and over at bama and the bama talent is making that work. He’s an extremely boring guy to deal with from what I’ve heard, doesn’t have much to say, just boring all around. You know he wants to go to the NFL and could leave in a few years but it might not be a bad thing if he fixes the program.
Conclusion: Boring hire but you could do much worse. May leave in a few years for the NFL, could get bigger job offers, you don’t know how he would recruit here since he is very boring.

Jamey Chadwell:
Positives: Built multiple programs from the ground up, doing nothing but winning at CCU, true offensive mind that seems to know what he’s doing. Working through the college ranks and hasn’t struggled anywhere so far.
Negatives: You wonder how he would recruit in the P5, doesn’t have any P5 experience, option style offense but he does pass a lot. You have to wonder how an offensive style offense would translate to recruiting. He might bring his entire staff from CCU to Tech. You generally want to provide a guy like that with highly paid experienced P5 coaches since he lacks the P5 experience.
Conclusion: Jamey would be a very solid hire, can’t go wrong with him. You obviously want to figure out how he would recruit here and who his staff would be.

Dell McGee: I’ve touched on McGee a lot on here so I don’t think I need to list him again. Just go back and look at my post about him.

slugboy

Staff member
Auburn will throw crazy money at Kiffin. They were semi close to getting him last go around. Kiffin would be paid insanely well at Auburn. I just want Kiffin to go to Auburn to see how him and the notorious auburn boosters mix together.
Even if Auburn hires Kiffin, Ole Miss would still be a more attractive job than GT, so we still stay a few spots down in the HC pecking order.
I kind of hope that Kiffin stays at Ole Miss. I don't think Auburn wants to go after the same coaches we do, but Ole Miss might.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I kind of hope that Kiffin stays at Ole Miss. I don't think Auburn wants to go after the same coaches we do, but Ole Miss might.
I think ole miss would be looking at bigger candidates. The buyout they would get from Auburn for Kiffin would be pretty substantial. They could probably pry away a current P5 head coach.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow

Deion Sanders:
Positives: Would bring a lot of needed good attention to the program when it needs it the most, would put fans back in the stands which is what tech needs desperately, Deion would attract lots of side walk fans, the NIL deals with Deion at the helm would be insane. He already has ties to barstool with him being apart of a podcast there and a NIL deal from barstool sports helped get Travis Hunter there. Deion would also recruit at the top of the ACC, it would be around 3rd in the acc just behind Florida state and then Clemson. The talent I’ve heard he would bring in is truly remarkable.
Negatives: He brings a lot of attention to himself, it’s both a positive and a negative. We saw how CGC had a lot of attention to himself and how he portrayed himself to the media. I don’t think it would be weird like CGC but you have to ask yourself, is Deion all about Deion or is it a mixture of coaching, recruits, program and himself. He’s not experienced. His first college job is at a HBCU where he has a lot more talent. You have to wonder is he actually coaching and developing this kids up or is he out talenting other schools.

Garret Riley:
Positives: Young offensive mastermind, runs the same offense as his older brother Lincoln and we’ve seen how it’s translated to being a HC, appears to be extremely smart in the way he speaks of his offensive philosophies and thoughts. What you’re hoping here is that he’s like his older brother Lincoln. They’ve followed a similar career path and Garret appears to be an exact replica of Lincoln when Lincoln was this age and this point of his career. Offensive coordinator for a potential playoff team would be a very good hire to be your HC, his offense ranks very highly nationally, in 1 year has developed Max Duggan into a very good QB when it wasn’t even know if he was going to be the starter.
Negatives: Young, being young can be a positive and a negative. You would always like a really experienced guy but those type of candidates are looking at bigger schools or already at bigger schools.
Conclusion: I think Garrett Riley would be an amazing hire. I think he’s the next Lincoln Riley or similar too in terms of their minds. You would be snatching up a guy before the massive schools like an Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M come calling.
BOB:
Positives: Been at tech already and knows the challenges of coaching here. He’s not a tech guy, he’s just worked here before. He truly did a remarkable job at Penn state fixing that mess, successful as a HC in the NFL and always made the playoffs. No non sense type of guy. Would bring stability to the program.
Negatives: He’s a vanilla offensive kind, he runs the same plays over and over at bama and the bama talent is making that work. He’s an extremely boring guy to deal with from what I’ve heard, doesn’t have much to say, just boring all around. You know he wants to go to the NFL and could leave in a few years but it might not be a bad thing if he fixes the program.
Conclusion: Boring hire but you could do much worse. May leave in a few years for the NFL, could get bigger job offers, you don’t know how he would recruit here since he is very boring.

Jamey Chadwell:
Positives: Built multiple programs from the ground up, doing nothing but winning at CCU, true offensive mind that seems to know what he’s doing. Working through the college ranks and hasn’t struggled anywhere so far.
Negatives: You wonder how he would recruit in the P5, doesn’t have any P5 experience, option style offense but he does pass a lot. You have to wonder how an offensive style offense would translate to recruiting. He might bring his entire staff from CCU to Tech. You generally want to provide a guy like that with highly paid experienced P5 coaches since he lacks the P5 experience.
Conclusion: Jamey would be a very solid hire, can’t go wrong with him. You obviously want to figure out how he would recruit here and who his staff would be.

Dell McGee: I’ve touched on McGee a lot on here so I don’t think I need to list him again. Just go back and look at my post about him.
One negative I haven’t seen mentioned about Chadwell is culture fit. He is a Myrtle Beach guy through and through, mullet and all. How he would fit in Atlanta is a question mark.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Deion Sanders:

Garret Riley:
BOB:

Jamey Chadwell:

Whose your preferece?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Deion Sanders:

Garret Riley:
BOB:

Jamey Chadwell:

Saw this article about BOB and his offense at Alabama I thought interesting:

"Bill O’Brien is not known as an innovator. He is known as a solid coach, who is well versed in multiple offensive schemes. But Nick Saban did not bring O’Brien to Tuscaloosa to install an offensive scheme. O’Brien was brought in to maximize the one Alabama already used. Mac Jones even helped O’Brien learn the Alabama playbook."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's just that all I heard from the recruiting geniuses during the CPJ era was 'too easy to negative recruit against the 3O.'
I always thought this was a load. Mainly because we won consistently and because a lot of our "low ratings" were the result of Paul holding players back so that he could get experienced people on the field. Ratings are a combination of the average ratings for the players and the number of recruits per class. Paul's classes often had better average player ratings then schools ranked above Tech. And Tech got it's share of 4 stars, mainly on D. And did quite well with two stars, like, say, Clint Lynch.

But you are right. Now with the intrusions of option football into the pros (Horrors!!) there is a lot less use to recruiting against the option. But wait until we hire Bohannon!!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Whose your preferece?

Here's the things I'm looking for in a new potential HC:
Recruiting ties where they really really succeed in 1 area or have ties in multiple areas
Excel at running their system (if they are a current HC or Coordinator)
Young up and coming type of guy.

My preference is Garrett Riley, the current TCU Offensive Coordinator.
He checks the boxes with recruiting in multiple areas of the country. Working at East Carolina gives you those southeast ties, working at Kansas gives you those ties in the midwest and working at SMU and TCU gives you ties in the state of Texas recruiting hot bed.

He then checks the box for excelling running their system. The TCU offense ranks 4th nationally in yards per game at 518.6 yards per game which is up there with Tennessee, UGA and Oregon. 300.8 passing yards per game, and 3rd nationally with 44.3 points per game just behind Tennessee and Ohio State. 5.8 rushing yards per attempt, 9.7 yards per pass attempt, 7.6 yards per play, 45.63% on 3rd down conversions and 53.33% on 4th down conversions. Also a OFEI of 1.05 which ranks 14th nationally. You could say his offense is the main reason why TCU is a main playoff contender.

He then checks the box of being a young up-and-coming guy. He's a little young at 33 years old but you could say being that young and having massive success is even better. You're seeing colleges recently go to the younger guys for HC jobs. Most recently: Billy Napier at 42 years old when hired at Florida, napier was 37/38 when hired at Louisiana, Dan Lanning 35 years old and now 36 years old when hired at Oregon, Lincoln Riley was 38 years old when hired at USC but notably was the same age as his brother when he took over at Oklahoma.

What I would want to see with Riley: I want to see Georgia Tech surround him with experienced P5 coaches to help him out since he's a young guy a first-time HC. Oregon surrounded Dan Lanning with those types of guys with the hires of Tosh Lupoi (DC at Oregon) and Kenny Dillingham (OC at Oregon) and it's been very successful in year 1 for the ducks.

In Conclusion: I think Riley is only lacking in the experience department but as I listed, more and more young coaches are being given HC jobs. He has ties in 3 different areas of the country when it comes to recruiting and lastly, his system is blowing every opponent out of the water each and every week. I think with Garrett Riley you're hoping to get something similar to his older brother Lincoln Riley. Both of the Riley brothers have followed extremely similar coaching career paths and run the same system and have the same exact offensive philosophies. In my mind, Garrett Riley will be getting job offers from big schools such as Texas, Texas A & M, UNC, Ole miss, etc within a few years based on his current path that he's quickly moving on in the CFB world. So I think Georgia Tech should go ahead and snatch him up this off-season.

Last edited: