HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not think anyone hates McGee because of "his connections to the state and respect from HS coaches." It is his lack of head coaching experience at the college level and his lack of experience (coaching and recruiting) at a school like Tech that is worrisome.
I don’t think anyone has expressed hate for McGee. The point was that “high school coaching connections” have been sold to us before and it has never made much difference and, in one case, was a total disaster.

I’m just suggesting that these kinds of “selling points” are never as good as they sound. Now, if I guy can coach, and if he can navigate the landscape at Tech, that’s our guy. But predicting that from particular selling points is often futile.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone has expressed hate for McGee. The point was that “high school coaching connections” have been sold to us before and it has never made much difference and, in one case, was a total disaster.

I’m just suggesting that these kinds of “selling points” are never as good as they sound. Now, if I guy can coach, and if he can navigate the landscape at Tech, that’s our guy. But predicting that from particular selling points is often futile.
You are screwed if u promote a good manager type, who people like, who can train folks, and run his department; but he can't identify talent.
You are left w guys who try hard and work together, but will plateau.

The manager that can see talent and then motivate it will win the race by getting better faster.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I always thought this was a load. Mainly because we won consistently and because a lot of our "low ratings" were the result of Paul holding players back so that he could get experienced people on the field. Ratings are a combination of the average ratings for the players and the number of recruits per class. Paul's classes often had better average player ratings then schools ranked above Tech. And Tech got it's share of 4 stars, mainly on D. And did quite well with two stars, like, say, Clint Lynch.

But you are right. Now with the intrusions of option football into the pros (Horrors!!) there is a lot less use to recruiting against the option. But wait until we hire Bohannon!!
Clinton Lynch...now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. Block? He could do it. Run? He could do that. Catch passes? Yep, he did that too. But, of course, he did not have the "measureables". All I know is that he would run a few times, come out, come back in, run a few plays more, go out, and next thing you know the SOB is running free with a pass and nobody within 10 yards of him. A fine player for Tech and as far as I know never caused Coach Johnson a moment's trouble.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Competition for our head coaching vacancy just went up

Explain to me why ADs are throwing money at coaches then turn around and fire them while paying them outrageous sums to not coach? Auburn, I understand, well, maybe not, but FSU has done this several times as well as Miami and Tennessee. These people have more money than they do any commonsense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is a pretty good read about how NIL will affect coaching searches. Although specifically about the SEC and Auburn, you can apply it to any conference and school. If you want to know why Cabrera emphasized NIL with the new AD search, and ultimately picked a guy known for fundraising, this article is spot on. Also, if you want to feel good about GT going forward, you have to like that Cabrera understands the which way the wind is blowing and he's trying to get GT in the right position.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Clinton Lynch...now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. Block? He could do it. Run? He could do that. Catch passes? Yep, he did that too. But, of course, he did not have the "measureables". All I know is that he would run a few times, come out, come back in, run a few plays more, go out, and next thing you know the SOB is running free with a pass and nobody within 10 yards of him. A fine player for Tech and as far as I know never caused Coach Johnson a moment's trouble.
Clinton Lynch could damn run with a football until he got hurt. Yardage came by hunks and chunks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't want a coach who feels like they are the stars rather than the student-athletes and the school. I want media coverage to be about how good the football team is, not how cool of a coach we have and, oh, the football team is pretty good too.

TFFG ruined me to narcissistic head coaches.
TFFG?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Explain to me why ADs are throwing money at coaches then turn around and fire them while paying them outrageous sums to not coach? Auburn, I understand, well, maybe not, but FSU has done this several times as well as Miami and Tennessee. These people have more money than they do any commonsense.
I'd assume because the money to be made from having a consistent winning program in football greatly dwarfs the money paid to a fired head coach.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
If I was the AD I would gamble on Prime Time if he could convince me his staff was top notch. Good coaching and him at the helm could bring immediate results. It usually takes a Tech coach a few years to maximize the program.
No way Prime wants to come to GT. He is focused on winning and he's smart enough to see the ACC continues to decline directly proportional to poor (and getting worse) longterm ACC TV revenue deal, relatively weak NIL alumni support, longterm GOR restrictions for conference realignment opportunities, lack of majors @ GT impacting recruiting pool, inbound transfer academic challenges impacting effective available portal pool and internal GT research prioritization over athletic funding. Prime would be much more interested in Auburn or a similar school without all these headwind factors.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
No way Prime wants to come to GT. He is focused on winning and he's smart enough to see the ACC continues to decline directly proportional to poor (and getting worse) longterm ACC TV revenue deal, relatively weak NIL alumni support, longterm GOR restrictions for conference realignment opportunities, lack of majors @ GT impacting recruiting pool, inbound transfer academic challenges impacting effective available portal pool and internal GT research prioritization over athletic funding. Prime would be much more interested in Auburn or a similar school without all these headwind factors.
Prime isn’t a fit at Auburn and he knows that. Tech is going to get out of the ACC soon, just know that. The NIL piece is going to be fixed from what I’ve heard from the people I know at Tech. I mean heck, they got Jeff Sims a huge NIL deal worth 6 figures this past off season just to get him to stay. He already had a big deal with Mercedes Benz. If someone is willing to give Jeff, a unproven and inconsistent QB a 6 figure deal then imagine what they would give to the highly rated recruits that Deion would bring in. Deion’s name itself would fix the NIL part at tech. He got Travis Hunter a massive deal with barstool sports and Celcius Energy Drink. Deion’s got connections with anybody and everyone, you don’t have to worry about NIL with him at the helm. It’s even been discussed about making it easier to get into Tech for a new HC and the players he would want to bring in. Tech is fixing things each day between academic restrictions, majors, NIL money, fundraising, getting out of the ACC, etc.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You are screwed if u promote a good manager type, who people like, who can train folks, and run his department; but he can't identify talent.
You are left w guys who try hard and work together, but will plateau.

The manager that can see talent and then motivate it will win the race by getting better faster.
This, btw, is another reason I like both Chadwell and Mullen. Both of those guys know how to spot talent and use it. Chadwell spotted McCall who was a two star QB (Horrors!) in high school. Chadwell though he could do the job and he did. Mullen spotted Fitzgerald, a 3 star (barely, .81) TO QB and converted him into a thing that crushed opponents for three years. Tech needs someone who can spot talent and knows how to use it when he gets it in the worst way.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I would be really interested to know exactly how you think this will occur.
Basically any team in the acc is scared of the acc following to the bottom with conference realignment happening and new media contracts. The BIG 10 is what Georgia Tech is looking at. The media rights deal of the BIG 10 is the main reason for this. The money they would gain from it would be remarkable. Tech has 2 massive things going for them in hopes of leaving the ACC. Those things are the TV market in the Atlanta area and Southeast as a whole and the school being a top academic institution. Tech being a AAU school plays a big part of this. I have no clue how it would work with paying the massive penalty to get out of the ACC contract that runs until like 2036 or something crazy. It’s been discussed in years past. Georgia Tech is in a lot better place in all areas now with Todd Stansbury no longer being the Atheltic Director.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Coach Prime isn't coming to GT. I have a business relationship with a mega donor, the same guy that told me not to get my hopes up for an "offensive innovator" type coach before GT announced the hiring of Collins. When I texted about Coach Prime weeks ago, his reply was literally a bunch of laughing emojis followed by "Deion and his agent are REALLY good at working the media."

The fact that you haven't heard Deion tied to GT lately tells you all you need to know. If Parker Executive or Batt has had any discussions with Prime or his agent, it would have been leaked all over social media.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Basically any team in the acc is scared of the acc following to the bottom with conference realignment happening and new media contracts. The BIG 10 is what Georgia Tech is looking at. The media rights deal of the BIG 10 is the main reason for this. The money they would gain from it would be remarkable. Tech has 2 massive things going for them in hopes of leaving the ACC. Those things are the TV market in the Atlanta area and Southeast as a whole and the school being a top academic institution. Tech being a AAU school plays a big part of this. I have no clue how it would work with paying the massive penalty to get out of the ACC contract that runs until like 2036 or something crazy. It’s been discussed in years past. Georgia Tech is in a lot better place in all areas now with Todd Stansbury no longer being the Atheltic Director.
I also think with the recent conference scheduling (wake and UL as permanents??) and now the possibility of unbalanced payouts, that’s basically asking us to leave. We’ve never felt like a priority to ACC so if there’s another option, why shouldn’t we take it, especially now.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Prime isn't coming to GT. I have a business relationship with a mega donor, the same guy that told me not to get my hopes up for an "offensive innovator" type coach before GT announced the hiring of Collins. When I texted about Coach Prime weeks ago, his reply was literally a bunch of laughing emojis followed by "Deion and his agent are REALLY good at working the media."

The fact that you haven't heard Deion tied to GT lately tells you all you need to know. If Parker Executive or Batt has had any discussions with Prime or his agent, it would have been leaked all over social media.
Did he give any insight into who we might be going after?