HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
he’s not really more narcissistic than any other coach. he exudes confidence and in todays day and age that’s gonna always draw some negative feelings
Com'on Man. As someone said, almost every HC in CFB exudes confidence. You don't get the job by lacking confidence. And most are Alphas (although I'm not so sure about TFFG.) But that's not what we are talking about here. This is about really liking being the center of attention, not just being confident and knowing that you are The Man. Saban is a great example. Supremely confident, even cocky. But isn't seeking the limelight. He wants to make his statement on the field, not on Twitter.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
he’s not really more narcissistic than any other coach. he exudes confidence and in todays day and age that’s gonna always draw some negative feelings
And I'm not actually calling Deion narcissistic, although rereading my post certainly implies that. I do believe that our previous coach demonstrated narcissistic behaviors. So I'm twice-shy when it comes to bringing in another coach who...to me...really likes the limelight more than most P5 coaches.

I have zero idea if he could be a good P5 coach. And that's the problem...winning with 5* talent in SWAC doesn't really answer a lot of questions even if it was for more than 2 years and even if he really is SWAC.

And I still find the whole Prime Academy thing troubling enough to stay well clear.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't you think that someone like Deion, who endured his share of criticism throughout his career, would be well suited to handle any criticism here?

I can understand the argument, though I don't agree with it, that Deion can somehow get 5* talent to Jackson State that he couldn't get here. I can understand the argument that he is a relatively new HC at an FCS school. I just don't understand why some people think his celebrity will be a detriment.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not saying I know the answer to this question, I'm just asking it. I can see how his celebrity could be a detriment if he makes it all about himself, which he seems to exude an aura of.
If his coaching holds up, I have no doubt he'll reel in the recruits and he'll succeed.
That having been said, if he comes here, I'll be wary yet intrigued but the prospect seems remote to me.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not saying I know the answer to this question, I'm just asking it. I can see how his celebrity could be a detriment if he makes it all about himself, which he seems to exude an aura of.
If his coaching holds up, I have no doubt he'll reel in the recruits and he'll succeed.
That having been said, if he comes here, I'll be wary but intrigued but the prospect seems remote to me.

That's pretty much where I am. He's not a 'hard no' for me like some, but the whole Academy thing, the lack of experience as a HC and being bitten by TFFG's 'look at me' behavior has me thinking we can do better. I'll support him if he comes, buy his Coach Prime gear and hope for the best.

JacketFan137

Banned
Com'on Man. As someone said, almost every HC in CFB exudes confidence. You don't get the job by lacking confidence. And most are Alphas (although I'm not so sure about TFFG.) But that's not what we are talking about here. This is about really liking being the center of attention, not just being confident and knowing that you are The Man. Saban is a great example. Supremely confident, even cocky. But isn't seeking the limelight. He wants to make his statement on the field, not on Twitter.
it’s just really weird that what deion does keeps being dismissed as him just wanting to be famous on social media and all about himself. where are you guys getting that from? seriously it keeps getting brought up but aside from him having his @ on his shirt i don’t really see it. even then his social media is pretty normal college football coach stuff. game promos, highlights, post game speeches etc. nothing out of the ordinary

again, if being a social media star was what he wanted to do he would have a much easier time going the route of shannon sharpe and getting on tv than doing it as a head coach.

i understand the reservations of not wanting to repeat the collins thing but i just don’t think deion is the same dude and i think his name alone will open up a lot of different resources we haven’t had and we desperately need.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So you're basically roommates....

Room for more ....

bathroom GIF

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
HARD no to Mullen. Hiring him would draw a lot of negative media reaction. Tech needs to rehab its image as a football program. Trying to also be a coach's rehab stop would be a mess. I can't imagine players and assistants wanting to buy into a program that's looked at as hard to recruit and win at, with a coach who's reputed to be hard to work with and uninterested in recruiting. None of that may be true. But Tech can't weather the weight of more negative perceptions right now. (Which, I've been a Tech football fan long enough to recognize that this means we're probably announcing Mullen as the coach tomorrow.)1.
1. He wins. I repeat: he wins. His programs have been successful.

2. We can afford him and he'd probably take the job, though perhaps not right away.

3. Who cares about "media reaction"? Or, to be more exact, after four years of a coach whose every move was dictated by media reaction and who failed miserably as a result, why would anyone make this a main consideration?

4. We are basing a lot of our opinions about his being "hard to work with" or "uninterested in recruiting" on comments from the fanbase at Florida. Those people are almost as certifiable as the fans at Awbun, They fear they made a wrong decision in firing Mullen and are desperate to excuse themselves.

5. The whole recruiting angle here is wrong. Tech can, I think, recruit, going by the "ratings", in the low 30s-high 20s every year with an occasional breakout. We are going to have to have a coach who can work with players in the high to mid 3 stars as the usual recruit. That means we need someone who can develop players. Mullen has proven he can do that, especially for QBs. And that's what Tech needs.

6. I want Chadwell and in the worst way. I think he's exactly what we need. But … no Chadwell and I definitely think Mullen is a strong candidate for the job.

JacketFan137

Banned
Harsin has just been fired from auburn. this is gonna greatly impact how things go for us as they will likely spend the money to get the pick of the litter out of the coaching carousel. will also be interesting to see who they are interested in throughout the process

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Harsin has just been fired from auburn. this is gonna greatly impact how things go for us as they will likely spend the money to get the pick of the litter out of the coaching carousel. will also be interesting to see who they are interested in throughout the process

There's a LOT of good coaches that will eliminate Auburn just because of their donor situation. Word on the street is Auburn is in the process of hiring Miss State's AD.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What’s their current AD situation? I know there was shenanigans with the last guy stepping down. Seems they’re a bit chaotic right now so hopefully that instability plays in our favor.

JacketFan137

Banned
Auburn will find someone, because as you mentioned the money will be good, but it doesn't that someone will be good.
that i agree with lol

i’m pretty interested to see how big they go cause frankly there doesn’t seem to be a big name hire out there that is glaringly obvious for them. unless they poach a guy like kiffin or someone else who is currently employed

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
that i agree with lol

i’m pretty interested to see how big they go cause frankly there doesn’t seem to be a big name hire out there that is glaringly obvious for them. unless they poach a guy like kiffin or someone else who is currently employed
Rhule is available.