HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The donors are the ones who pay buyouts to get coaches and whatnot. You’re wrong on the donors wanting CGC. Todd Stansbury ran the HC search all by himself. He went completely silent on everyone. Todd was very close to hiring WisenHunt but the night before the contract was going to be signed, the donors found out and were extremely pissed off. Todd backed off of WisenHunt and as a result got caught with his hands up his ***. Todd had no backup plan to WisenHunt and it showed. The donors offered the money up to fire CGC the day after the game against UGA but Todd wouldn’t do it. Todd knew if he fired Collins that Sunday then he would also be fired. The donors are the reason why some of Collins elements went away this year. The donors told CGC to stop with money down being played, they’re the reason why the rambling wreck remained leading the team out on the field. CGC didn’t like the rambling wreck going out on the field first and wanted it gone. The donors fund majority of our football program whether that be money for coaches, faculties, operations, etc.
the bolded part was enough to fire his ***. damn, he reminds of of brian van gorder taking over at southern and getting rid of their tradition of riding the yellow buses

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
The donors are the ones who pay buyouts to get coaches and whatnot. You’re wrong on the donors wanting CGC. Todd Stansbury ran the HC search all by himself. He went completely silent on everyone. Todd was very close to hiring WisenHunt but the night before the contract was going to be signed, the donors found out and were extremely pissed off. Todd backed off of WisenHunt and as a result got caught with his hands up his ***. Todd had no backup plan to WisenHunt and it showed. The donors offered the money up to fire CGC the day after the game against UGA but Todd wouldn’t do it. Todd knew if he fired Collins that Sunday then he would also be fired. The donors are the reason why some of Collins elements went away this year. The donors told CGC to stop with money down being played, they’re the reason why the rambling wreck remained leading the team out on the field. CGC didn’t like the rambling wreck going out on the field first and wanted it gone. The donors fund majority of our football program whether that be money for coaches, faculties, operations, etc.
All this is how I've been told it went too.
Let's not ignore that O'Leary had a hand in influencing Stansbury to choose TFG. Remember, Stansbury was O'Leary's hand picked choice for AD at UCF when they basically let him choose his own AD to replace their guy when things got difficult. Stansbury owes much of his career, and income, to O'Leary, and was basically subservient to him. Stansbury never gave off a "decisive strong leader vibe"... more of a "gee what do I do? George help me" milquetoast vibe. Hell he was afraid of the press!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Who cares what the Donors think? Didn't we hire an AD to pick a coach? Didn't the so called (BIG donors want CGC)? want to know how things work out when donors get involved picking a coach, look at Maimi this year, or ask the avg Auburn fan.
I want the AD to pick the coach if he picks Little Bo Peep i'll back his pick.
Yep. It’s above my pay grade and resources.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
All this is how I've been told it went too.
Let's not ignore that O'Leary had a hand in influencing Stansbury to choose TFG. Remember, Stansbury was O'Leary's hand picked choice for AD at UCF when they basically let him choose his own AD to replace their guy when things got difficult. Stansbury owes much of his career, and income, to O'Leary, and was basically subservient to him. Stansbury never gave off a "decisive strong leader vibe"... more of a "gee what do I do? George help me" milquetoast vibe. Hell he was afraid of the press!
This is what happens when you have a guy out of his depth ( Stansbury ) hiring a guy who was basically a caricature of a coach with all the buzzwords, coachspeak, showtime gimmicks , ATL, money down crap, but had not the first real clue on how to be a HC on a Power 5 team. Possibly one of the worst hires ever made in CFB.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
oh yeah i would be very excited if we hired him but he seems like more of a pie in the sky hire than many other guys. i would definitely shoot the shot though
Have you watched Kansas offense this year? You do realize they are very option based they may be considered “gimmick” in your eyes if you turned on a game or two.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The donors are also the ones who demanded the old guy so forgive us if their insight is questioned

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know why? Who in their right mind would want to change a tradition like this? Especially if they’re fond of the Institute. Loser.
Collins was just weird with all people. Even if it was outside of the media, he was still weird to talk too. It’s almost like his mind was going 1000MPH in all different directions. He wanted all of the attention hence the 404, ATL, competition is king, money down, culture built on effort, etc. He wanted as many “hip, cool, stylish, shiny” style things as possible. I think he honestly thought the wreck and smoke going on with the team running out took attention from him. It’s almost like he wanted to run out of the tunnel first and for everyone to see him clearly. He was such an odd guy to deal and talk with.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
unfortunately you gotta play the game. can’t be a successful program without the cash input of boosters
I think you've got it backwards. You get a winning program and then the Big Donors™ come on board with the money. You need some seed cash, sure, but I sure do hope we keep the aforementioned donors out of Tech's coaching search. Doing that almost defines a professional college football program.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Collins was just weird with all people. Even if it was outside of the media, he was still weird to talk too. It’s almost like his mind was going 1000MPH in all different directions. He wanted all of the attention hence the 404, ATL, competition is king, money down, culture built on effort, etc. He wanted as many “hip, cool, stylish, shiny” style things as possible. I think he honestly thought the wreck and smoke going on with the team running out took attention from him. It’s almost like he wanted to run out of the tunnel first and for everyone to see him clearly. He was such an odd guy to deal and talk with.
What gets me about this is that this apparently wasn't obvious when he interviewed. I caught that vibe after a couple of weeks.

Still, you never know. Mike Leach is pretty squirrelly and he's a right good football coach. But Leach is squirrelly the right way and Collins wasn't.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
What gets me about this is that this apparently wasn't obvious when he interviewed. I caught that vibe after a couple of weeks.

Still, you never know. Mike Leach is pretty squirrelly and he's a right good football coach. But Leach is squirrelly the right way and Collins wasn't.
You sit there and wonder why it wasn’t obvious? Well you turn your head to who hired him, and it makes a lot more sense why it wasn’t obvious to them.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Why? I will admit, I was swayed by a crowded booth video following collins' firing. The video summarized McGee's pros as follows:

1. Very successful as a coach with UGA has an eye for talent and has gotten the most out of it.
2. Supposedly more dogs would be upset more at losing McGee than losing Monken.
3. Rebuilt Carver-Columbus from abysmal to winning state championships over 4 years.
4. Has a winning record as a college head coach (Georgia Southern as an interim)
5. Supposedly he'll open doors that Tech has never had access to before.
6. His current salary is $800k so we can give us a reasonably priced coach.
7. I have a decent feeling about the guy

What is your reasoning for so vehemently disliking him?
McGee is up there on my list. Top 5, maybe top 3. He’s definitely the guy I want if we go with a “unproven gamble hire” which I put Deion in that category. Another great thing about McGee is how much high school coaches in Georgia love and respect him and are pulling for him. He could fix a lot of the relationships with high school coaches in the state that collins messed up

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
McGee is up there on my list. Top 5, maybe top 3. He’s definitely the guy I want if we go with a “unproven gamble hire” which I put Deion in that category. Another great thing about McGee is how much high school coaches in Georgia love and respect him and are pulling for him. He could fix a lot of the relationships with high school coaches in the state that collins messed up
I see McGee and Deion both being part of the "Recruiting First" coach options, but I don't see McGee as being near the gamble that Deion might be.

I like McGee way more than Deion. I like that McGee is respected by HS coaches (and not just idolized).
I like that he's coached at literally the highest level of CFB and been part of a winning organization.
I like that he's recruited Georgia at both Ga Southern and UGA.
I like that he won't try to be the center of attention...I'm done with "Look at me!" coaches.

If either are successful we won't keep him more than four years tops.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Fritz would have been a good choice 4 years ago because of his experience transitioning from the option.

But why would we take him now? There's no reason to believe he'd stabilize the program. He has no experience of any kind at a P5 school, and his time at Tulane has yielded an overall record of 6 games under .500 which is doubled when talking about conference play. This year' they're having a great year but there's little reason to believe that his norm isn't closer to the .500 mark in the ACC he has been at most of his time at Tulane.

Fritz would have made sense 4 years ago. He'd be an extremally underwhelming hire now.
Tulane is not the only program Fritz has coached and improved.