HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketFan137

Banned
There are two B1G programs pursuing him. Nebraska has already asked to interview him (I don’t know if they have).

The argument is that we should shoot our shot. Nebraska has a lot of financial resources and fans. We might be an easier place to win these days (yes, hard to believe, but a good coach can turn this place around)
oh yeah i would be very excited if we hired him but he seems like more of a pie in the sky hire than many other guys. i would definitely shoot the shot though

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Leipold isn’t looking to leave Kansas from what I’ve heard. If he does then it will be for a Midwest job. He’s a pretty big risk for any school located in the south since he has no ties to the south East.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Leipold isn’t looking to leave Kansas from what I’ve heard. If he does then it will be for a Midwest job. He’s a pretty big risk for any school located in the south since he has no ties to the south East.
I agree with you. I have a feeling Wisconsin or Nebraska would be front runners if he were to even look around.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
He has led a program, no matter what level, and has done so for years. That is why the HS program is important. Yes we are not UGA, but we aren't Alabama either, yet we just hired an AD from there. Not hiring talented people because they work for a company different than yours is the same fallacy as not hiring a top tier assistant from a factory.

For your last comment, we are likely going to have to hire someone who hasn't led a P5 program, or perhaps an FBS program for a full year, so I would recommend preparing yourself to be disappointed if that is your main criteria.
I really doubt your last sentence. The odds are very high we will hire a current or former HC at a P-5/G-5 level. Fritz, Chadwell, or O'Brien (not my fave) are most realistic candidates imo.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really doubt your last sentence. The odds are very high we will hire a current or former HC at a P-5/G-5 level. Fritz, Chadwell, or O'Brien (not my fave) are most realistic candidates imo.
You left out Dan Mullen. Imho, if we call chadwell and he turns us down, then Mullen is next up. Then we go to Fritz (and get turned down; Tulane will match us, I think), then to O'Brien.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell's a really good coach, IMO. I wish we had him at UVa. But for you guys, who CAN'T get it wrong, I think maybe Leipold's a little safer choice. Like, you've aleady missed badly once. The margin's a little slimmer for you than it was for us.
I really respect Leipold as a coach. He is my #1 choice followed by Chadwick and Satterfield.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Things I’ve heard:
Wisconsin: Most likely to promote Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin didn’t want to lose him to another school so that played a big part in the firing of their HC.
Nebraska: No clue, my memory might be foggy but I remember hearing a rumor that Leipoid might have turned an interview down. Malzahn could be a name here.
Auburn: That job will open up, they want Lane Kiffin and tried to get him before they hired Harsin. Also have to wonder if Mullen and/or Rhule get interviews.
Tech: Chadwell, McGee, Deion, Mullen are all names that have been discussed by Tech Donors and the board.
Other names in CFB that will get looks by schools: Garret Riley, Kenny Delingham, Alex Atkins, among others.

slugboy

Staff member
With Leipold, watching his team play this year is exciting. But, if we were looking last year I think most people would say “no”. His team passes the eye test with flying colors. He’s also got a losing record at Kansas and a barely over 500 record at Buffalo, and it took him 4 years to start winning at Buffalo.
The point of this isn’t to trash Leipold; it’s to say that there’s someone out there with Leipold’s stats from last year or from three years ago that we’re saying “H*** No!” to on this board. Kansas didn’t say that, and this year they’ve got one of the hottest coaches in football.
We might hire out of P5, but there’s a G5, P5 assistant, or FCS coach who is just about to be the next big thing, and most of us can’t spot that coach. Odds are, they haven’t been mentioned here.

YearSchoolGWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostBowlNotes
2015Buffalo12570.417-5.40-4.56
2016Buffalo122100.167-18.24-5.57
2017Buffalo12660.500-2.92-5.34
2018Buffalo141040.7141.57-5.29Dollar General Bowl-L
2019Buffalo13850.6151.44-6.49Bahamas Bowl-W
2020Buffalo7610.85717.731.732325Camellia Bowl-W
2021Kansas122100.167-11.123.47
2022Kansas8530.62511.005.8719
8 YrsOverall9044460.489-0.74-2.022-1
6 YrsBuffalo7037330.529-0.97-4.252-1
2 YrsKansas207130.350-0.064.670-0

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/30/2022.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Going to try and explain some key things that Dell McGee could bring to tech for the people who are confused on his name coming up.

Staff: The staff McGee would form would be top of the ACC quality wise. He would bring over multiple UGA assistants with him. Names I’ve heard that would join a Dell McGee staff would be Bryan McClendon who is the current WR’s coach and passing game coordinator at UGA, current UCF DC Travis Williams, and UGA defensive line coach Tray Scott. I think it’s more likely that Tray Scott joins the staff and becomes the DC then Travis Williams.

Recruiting ties: Dell is very very highly thought of all across the state and the entire southeast. Geoff Collins really killed some of the relationships between Georgia Tech and HS’s within the state and McGee would repair those instantly. Dell has the most ties in state of any HC candidate that I’ve heard. Tech really needs someone with in state ties and that can repair relationships with local HS’s.

The respect he has: Almost every HS coach, trainer or anyone tied to HS football within the state has nothing but great things to say about Dell McGee. Everyone in the state loves the guy. It would bring a ton of positive reaction to the program, when they really really need it. Trainers, Coaches, other College coaches all love him and respect his mind and teaching.

He’s also apart of the Kirby Smart coaching tree which is an extension of the Nick Saban coaching tree. You see what Dan Lanning is doing at Oregon after being on a Kirby staff for a few years and have to wonder if Dell McGee is that same quality of coach. Whether you hate Kirby or not, you have to respect the coaching tree he is starting to build.

McGee has a lot of key attributes that tech is looking for in a new HC. Those things include in state recruiting ties, southeast recruiting ties, a known name within the south, the ability to form a high quality staff and P5 experience.

Dell was close to getting the Georgia Southern
HC job back when he was the IHC and many people at Georgia Southern still aren’t happy that he was looked over.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With Leipold, watching his team play this year is exciting. But, if we were looking last year I think most people would say “no”. His team passes the eye test with flying colors. He’s also got a losing record at Kansas and a barely over 500 record at Buffalo, and it took him 4 years to start winning at Buffalo.
The point of this isn’t to trash Leipold; it’s to say that there’s someone out there with Leipold’s stats from last year or from three years ago that we’re saying “H*** No!” to on this board. Kansas didn’t say that, and this year they’ve got one of the hottest coaches in football.
We might hire out of P5, but there’s a G5, P5 assistant, or FCS coach who is just about to be the next big thing, and most of us can’t spot that coach. Odds are, they haven’t been mentioned here.

YearSchoolGWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostBowlNotes
2015Buffalo12570.417-5.40-4.56
2016Buffalo122100.167-18.24-5.57
2017Buffalo12660.500-2.92-5.34
2018Buffalo141040.7141.57-5.29Dollar General Bowl-L
2019Buffalo13850.6151.44-6.49Bahamas Bowl-W
2020Buffalo7610.85717.731.732325Camellia Bowl-W
2021Kansas122100.167-11.123.47
2022Kansas8530.62511.005.8719
8 YrsOverall9044460.489-0.74-2.022-1
6 YrsBuffalo7037330.529-0.97-4.252-1
2 YrsKansas207130.350-0.064.670-0

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/30/2022.
Good point. It’s like there’s probably a “money ball” type hire out there that only really smart people, with nerves of steel, can see.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Tech: Chadwell, McGee, Deion, Mullen are all names that have been discussed by Tech Donors and the board.
Who cares what the Donors think? Didn't we hire an AD to pick a coach? Didn't the so called (BIG donors want CGC)? want to know how things work out when donors get involved picking a coach, look at Maimi this year, or ask the avg Auburn fan.
I want the AD to pick the coach if he picks Little Bo Peep i'll back his pick.

JacketFan137

Banned
Who cares what the Donors think? Didn't we hire an AD to pick a coach? Didn't the so called (BIG donors want CGC)? want to know how things work out when donors get involved picking a coach, look at Maimi this year, or ask the avg Auburn fan.
unfortunately you gotta play the game. can’t be a successful program without the cash input of boosters

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
collins failure has soured so many people on the idea of a coach who’s bread and butter is recruiting and connections. in the common poster’s of eyes because collins didn’t work there is no possible way that is gonna work at tech ever again and we HAVE to have some sort of “scheme” offense or some gimmick like clawson’s slow mesh.

Well we have to have some sort of scheme on offense.

Chuck it and pray and inside handoff and make the first two miss didn't work.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The donors are the ones who pay buyouts to get coaches and whatnot. You’re wrong on the donors wanting CGC. Todd Stansbury ran the HC search all by himself. He went completely silent on everyone. Todd was very close to hiring WisenHunt but the night before the contract was going to be signed, the donors found out and were extremely pissed off. Todd backed off of WisenHunt and as a result got caught with his hands up his ***. Todd had no backup plan to WisenHunt and it showed. The donors offered the money up to fire CGC the day after the game against UGA but Todd wouldn’t do it. Todd knew if he fired Collins that Sunday then he would also be fired. The donors are the reason why some of Collins elements went away this year. The donors told CGC to stop with money down being played, they’re the reason why the rambling wreck remained leading the team out on the field. CGC didn’t like the rambling wreck going out on the field first and wanted it gone. The donors fund majority of our football program whether that be money for coaches, faculties, operations, etc.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Stabilize the program and then upgrade from there. Ya might wanna watch Tulane play some weekend.
Fritz would have been a good choice 4 years ago because of his experience transitioning from the option.

But why would we take him now? There's no reason to believe he'd stabilize the program. He has no experience of any kind at a P5 school, and his time at Tulane has yielded an overall record of 6 games under .500 which is doubled when talking about conference play. This year' they're having a great year but there's little reason to believe that his norm isn't closer to the .500 mark in the ACC he has been at most of his time at Tulane.

Fritz would have made sense 4 years ago. He'd be an extremally underwhelming hire now.