HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Mullen: On this assessment, he's the leader of the pack. I'm not sure why everybody here seems to be so turned off, given his proven record of success. "He's hard to get along with!" "He won't fit with the alums!" "He'll alienate the press!" "He isn't a great recruiter!" I mean, seriously now, are people thinking about the last four years at all? We used those criteria before and look where it got us. Besides, he knows how to build a program.

Bohannon: Yep. Right on all counts. Then we get to "lots of 3* athletes". So what? Here I have to remind people that no matter who we hire we will end up with "lots of 3* athletes". What we need is someone who can turn that into success. Like, say, Bohannon. Besides, he knows how to build a program. And from the ground up too boot.

Moncken senior: I wish we had hired him four years ago. We'd all be sitting around grousing about not going to a New Years Day bowl, not getting to the playoffs, and "accepting mediocrity" with 7 - 8 win seasons instead of discussing the possible demise of Tech as a P5 program. But he's now the second winningest coach in Army history and highly attached to the Point. I doubt he'd consider our offer now. Too bad. Oh, and he knows how to build a program too.
I’m a broken record but I think we have lots of good options from this group. And I think at least five of the people on the list could instantly create a winning record at Tech. The intriguing question is which one will have the extra secret sauce -that combination of game management, player development, scheme, recruiting, understanding Tech culture and PR splash in the Atlanta market? We might not get someone who aces each area but if they ace the right combination while being satisfactory in the other areas…..

This could be fun.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Whoever we pick, I think our goal should be 9-10 wins a year minimum. In the ACC we should be favored every year except Clemson, FSU, and maybe Miami.
Georgia will always be favored, but it should be a dog fight every year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Whoever we pick, I think our goal should be 9-10 wins a year minimum. In the ACC we should be favored every year except Clemson, FSU, and maybe Miami.
Georgia will always be favored, but it should be a dog fight every year.
Nine wins a year (minimum) is a 0.750 percentage win rate. The ONLY FBS teams to do that on a consistent basis are Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Oklahoma. Alabama and Ohio State both achieved a 0.731 win rate, but no other team has ever achieved a long-term 0.750 win rate.

It is much more likely to have a competitive 7-5 season every year and about once every 4 years, surge to a 10-2 season. That's more likely.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mullen: On this assessment, he's the leader of the pack. I'm not sure why everybody here seems to be so turned off, given his proven record of success. "He's hard to get along with!" "He won't fit with the alums!" "He'll alienate the press!" "He isn't a great recruiter!" I mean, seriously now, are people thinking about the last four years at all? We used those criteria before and look where it got us. Besides, he knows how to build a program.

When outlining objections against Mullen, you overlooked mine. His record AT FLORIDA wasn't that impressive and he got fired there. Florida is a school like LSU....not a perennial power like OSU or Bama but it has every single ingredient that a HC needs to be in the hunt for NC's. Winning 7 games there is NOT the same thing as winning 7 games at Tech (or Vandy or Wake). I'll pass. Remember Will Muschamp? He was another guy who couldn't be successful at Florida. We saw what he did at a school with even less resources. Hard pass for me on this guy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When outlining objections against Mullen, you overlooked mine. His record AT FLORIDA wasn't that impressive and he got fired there. Florida is a school like LSU....not a perennial power like OSU or Bama but it has every single ingredient that a HC needs to be in the hunt for NC's. Winning 7 games there is NOT the same thing as winning 7 games at Tech (or Vandy or Wake). I'll pass. Remember Will Muschamp? He was another guy who couldn't be successful at Florida. We saw what he did at a school with even less resources. Hard pass for me on this guy.
Mullen's reputation at Florida was two-fold. One, he did not handle the press or his staff well and yes, he came across as a jerk. So much so that no one, not one, stepped forward to defend him. On that note alone, Gators were glad to see him go. The other however, was football related. SEC media, many of whom played college ball, uniformly reported on the lack of discipline and the loose, sloppy practices that Mullen ran.

Collins worked for Mullen. I wonder if there is any connection to what he did with Mullen and what he did at Tech? I don't know but there's no one I know in the SEC that has anything good to say about Mullen.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Mullen's reputation at Florida was two-fold. One, he did not handle the press or his staff well and yes, he came across as a jerk. So much so that no one, not one, stepped forward to defend him. On that note alone, Gators were glad to see him go. The other however, was football related. SEC media, many of whom played college ball, uniformly reported on the lack of discipline and the loose, sloppy practices that Mullen ran.

Collins worked for Mullen. I wonder if there is any connection to what he did with Mullen and what he did at Tech? I don't know but there's no one I know in the SEC that has anything good to say about Mullen.
I thought he was a good candidate coming out of Miss St. I felt like he would’ve been good here after CPJ.
If that was the takeaway from folks who know in Florida, think you’re on to something. I’m sure it was the same at Miss St. I guess he overcame it there with a generational talent at QB? Let’s get one of those! :LOL:

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would take Rhule in a heartbeat. Saban/Urban/many others failed in the NFL too.
He is a top tier CFB coach. I think he ends up at Auburn most likely now, but would love to have him here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Domino effect with Leipold. Sounds like Nebraska's first choice is Leipold, but they would have to wait and see if he goes to Wisconsin. If Leipold goes to Wisconsin, I've read they really want Rhule as option B.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would take Rhule in a heartbeat. Saban/Urban/many others failed in the NFL too.
He is a top tier CFB coach. I think he ends up at Auburn most likely now, but would love to have him here.

...which is why I think I think O'Brien may be underhyped as a college coach. O'Brien actually did well in the NFL, and the one college HC job he had, he was basically fighting with one hand tied behind his back. He was still able to have really good seasons with a scholarship deficit and having to play with a lot of underclassmen and some walk ons.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Assume that Collins built him a roster he can work with, right? Should hit the ground running.

Too soon?