HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
He took over an 0-12 Southern Miss team and went 1-11, 3-9, and 9-5 and parlayed that job into an NFL job. Sounds pretty good to me.
That Southern Miss program was so strange. Fedora had won 11 games, took the UNC job, then Ellis Johnson comes in and goes 0-12 and gets fired after a year, then Monken came in.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can someone explain why everyone is enamored for Chadwell when we'll see the Bob Davie style of triple option out of the gun at New Mexico. I thought many people here were done with the option.
I thought people were done with winning, but I might be wrong. People got jealous of UGA and thought changing coaches and offenses was the answer to compete.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
There was a documentary, I believe I may have seen it on hbo max, where Belichick gets invited to Nick Saban's house and they talk about the game. I remember Saban saying something like how the biggest hurdle for him and his coaches is trying to get a bunch of guys right out of high school to put in the work necessary to succeed. I don't remember them talking about what offensive/defensive playbook or formation is better than another at helping them win games.

The playbook and the individual plays in that playbook are just tools. The tools aren't going to help you win games alone. Everyone else has the same tools with a wrinkle or two here and there. Unless perhaps you spend all day designing new plays that the world has never seen before, I've always believed a head coach's job first and foremost is to get your 85+ guys to believe that the tools you are giving them will help them succeed and then help them perfect how to use those tools.

If you are an RPO/airraid/zone/option/whatever offensive guru but you can't get your guys to buy into what you are teaching them, you aren't going to win many games.

So I don't care what offense or defense the new head coach runs; I would go so far as to say the head coach should be able to adjust his playbook to play to the strengths of the talent he has on the team. Most importantly, can he get his guys to buy into what he's going to teach them?

On the flip side, I would love to see the fans shift away from focusing on what scheme the new head coach is going to run and get away from ideas like "I'm only going to support the new head coach if only he runs XYZ offense that I personally love and spread negativity as much as I can if he runs something I don't like (or understand)".

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Not counting the wack Covid year where the B1G played like only a couple of games his statistical avg win per year is just a hair OVER 10 wins per year.

His avg wis per year is HIGHER than Harbaugh, and he was top 10 in terms of wins per year for a P5 coach. The only guys with higher avg win per year are the CFP coaches ie Saban, Dabo, Lincoln, Kirby, Day etc….

Of course GT should look at him. We haven’t had a coach with a 10 wins a year rate in the modern era EVER at GT. The idea that he’s just Dan Mullen or insert P5 retreat here just isn’t true by the numbers.

I’m not even sure he’d come here, and I have no reason to be carrying water for the ex Wiscy coach. Its just odd that people treat him like the run of the mill 7-8 win ACC/SEC coaching retread when he just wasn’t.

08664125-4F48-43C3-ABC4-357B26151219.jpeg

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Not counting the wack Covid year where the B1G played like only a couple of games his statistical avg win per year is just a hair OVER 10 wins per year.

His avg wis per year is HIGHER than Harbaugh, and he was top 10 in terms of wins per year for a P5 coach. The only guys with higher avg win per year are the CFP coaches ie Saban, Dabo, Lincoln, Kirby, Day etc….

Of course GT should look at him. We haven’t had a coach with a 10 wins a year rate in the modern era EVER at GT. The idea that he’s just Dan Mullen or insert P5 retreat here just isn’t true by the numbers.

I’m not even sure he’d come here, and I have no reason to be carrying water for the ex Wiscy coach. Its just odd that people treat him like the run of the mill 7-8 win ACC/SEC coaching retread when he just wasn’t.

View attachment 13245
While I’m shocked Wisconsin fired him this early in the season, it’s been clear Wisconsin has been treading water in a weak division kept afloat by a dominant defense. The architect of that defense is who most of the wiscy fans want as HC and he’s getting the interim role. Not getting the best attribute of that team makes me super hesitant to think of hiring Chryst and his insistance on what has been an inneficient offense and inability to develop qb is downright terrifying given the current state of our OL.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
Again if 10 wins a year is treading water than that means every team not named like Bama, Dawgs, OSU, or Clemson is treading water.

I don’t even really think he’d fit at GT has he’s a prototypical midwestern guy. His record is better than any ACC coach not named Dabo.

JacketFan137

Banned
On the flip side, I would love to see the fans shift away from focusing on what scheme the new head coach is going to run and get away from ideas like "I'm only going to support the new head coach if only he runs XYZ offense that I personally love and spread negativity as much as I can if he runs something I don't like (or understand)".
i don’t see this happening any time soon with georgia tech. too many people married to the option that will never give up on it and too many people that are done with the option and never wanna go back. last 3 years of collins vindicated a lot of the option only crowd and they’re gonna be twice as loud going forward

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
i don’t see this happening any time soon with georgia tech. too many people married to the option that will never give up on it and too many people that are done with the option and never wanna go back. last 3 years of collins vindicated a lot of the option only crowd and they’re gonna be twice as loud going forward
i dont know. lots of folks (me included) thought an option coach was the right choice last time around. Or at least it should have been an option on the table (no pun intended). But now, given we spent several years moving away from the 3O, it would be extremely stupid for us to bring back the 3O. Thus, while I feel "vindicated" (although I would not use that word), doesn't mean that 3O is the path forward. I think most option fans would agree.

JacketFan137

Banned
i dont know. lots of folks (me included) thought an option coach was the right choice last time around. Or at least it should have been an option on the table (no pun intended). But now, given we spent several years moving away from the 3O, it would be extremely stupid for us to bring back the 3O. Thus, while I feel "vindicated" (although I would not use that word), doesn't mean that 3O is the path forward. I think most option fans would agree.
i’m not sure i agree with the bolded part based on the amount of people in here suggesting we hire service academy coaches/bohannon and the people acting like chadwell is the only logical choice. the majority of the option contingent wants to go back for sure

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
Everyone my ***. He sucked when he was here 20 years ago. No no no
What are you talking about? That’d be like Michigan State fans saying “Saban? No thanks. That guy sucked when he was here.”

The guy has coached under O’Leary, Belichick, and Saban. He ran a great rebuild at PSU and had a decent NFL career. Why does that not sound attractive to anyone?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
There was a documentary, I believe I may have seen it on hbo max, where Belichick gets invited to Nick Saban's house and they talk about the game. I remember Saban saying something like how the biggest hurdle for him and his coaches is trying to get a bunch of guys right out of high school to put in the work necessary to succeed. I don't remember them talking about what offensive/defensive playbook or formation is better than another at helping them win games.

The playbook and the individual plays in that playbook are just tools. The tools aren't going to help you win games alone. Everyone else has the same tools with a wrinkle or two here and there. Unless perhaps you spend all day designing new plays that the world has never seen before, I've always believed a head coach's job first and foremost is to get your 85+ guys to believe that the tools you are giving them will help them succeed and then help them perfect how to use those tools.

If you are an RPO/airraid/zone/option/whatever offensive guru but you can't get your guys to buy into what you are teaching them, you aren't going to win many games.

So I don't care what offense or defense the new head coach runs; I would go so far as to say the head coach should be able to adjust his playbook to play to the strengths of the talent he has on the team. Most importantly, can he get his guys to buy into what he's going to teach them?

This guy gets it. Football will always be hard work and fundamentals.

JacketFan137

Banned
This guy gets it. Football will always be hard work and fundamentals.
would also add physical ability when talking about the college game. at some point the physicality in college is too much to overcome. it will catch up to you in the nfl since everyone is a super human athlete, but raw athleticism covers up a lot in college

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 13245
I think his record at Pitt is probably more what we could expect from him

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know about the scandal, but Penn State was 9-4 the year before he got there. He went 8-4 and then 7-5 in his two seasons. If anything he just kept them from falling apart when they easily could have. And they didn’t have the death penalty. It had a ton of challenges, and 8-4 is a good showing under the circumstances, but I’m not sure those two years warrant making him our head coach.

In the NFL he was a .500 coach and as our OC he was meh.

"More than a dozen players from the 2011 team seized the NCAA’s life vest and transferred during the summer of 2012, including leading rusher Silas Redd, who departed for the University of Southern California."

CEB

Helluva Engineer
would also add physical ability when talking about the college game. at some point the physicality in college is too much to overcome. it will catch up to you in the nfl since everyone is a super human athlete, but raw athleticism covers up a lot in college
Not disagreeing (well not completely) but this needs perspective.
I think the primary needs are system / process / culture (not even remotely talking about formations or run pass percentage; don’t take it there) accountability, development, leadership and continuity (this one is very under appreciated in college football, IMO). That is the foundation that gets you 75%-80% of the way and that comes from top down.
The “over the hump” is when you start getting and retaining that talent without sacrificing any of the aforementioned basic attributes of your program. It’s great to recruit, but it doesn’t start there. Recruiting takes you from 7-8 wins to double digit wins. It gives you depth to avoid the “let down” because let’s face it, college kids won’t be perfect every Saturday no matter how talented they are. Talent with no purpose and poor leadership is worthless. It is certainly part of the formula, but not the first piece and not the biggest part