HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
i am not sure we need a transition coach. watching us play i feel like we have a roster capable of winning in the acc. not saying 10 wins or anything but i think we have the athletes to play with teams on our schedule not named clemson or uga. just need the coaches to squeeze a little extra out of our roster
Someone is going to need to build a competent staff. Anyone on our staff is going to jump as soon as an offer is made to them.

JacketFan137

Banned
Someone is going to need to build a competent staff. Anyone on our staff is going to jump as soon as an offer is made to them.
in some cases that might be addition by subtraction. i would also imagine a new staff has little interest in a lot of the current staff. it also wouldn’t surprise me if the new regime intends on bringing most of their own staff anyway since that’s pretty common in college football.

frankly the only guy i have any interest in keeping is watson

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo PJ then?

Given that the fanbase will never accept the option offense you really just need a good program manager to build a good staff and hand the reigns off to one of them. Someone like a Les Miles as an example. You just want someone to add the stability for the program not a long term hire.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Bohannon would be the least exciting hire I could ever imagine. We need someone to cure the malaise infecting this program. I vote that we cannot hire any coach from one of the 10 teams Geoff beat.

Flame suit is on...come at me!!!

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
More stuff

{post is not an endorsement--but there are lots of great black coaching candidates. Maybe WE should get KC's OC Eric Bieniemy--he could make up for 5th down. }

I do think Eric Henderson is an interesting option. GT ties aside he's a super bowl winning coach on one of the more innovative NFL staffs in the league. The fact he's a former player is gravy.

BUT I don't know if we go with another defensive minded coach again after CGC. Don't think it should matter but it could. And he probably doesn't have a ton of experience recruiting but I'd imagine the Super Bowl ring and the fact he's Aaron Donald's coach helps in that arena.

Deion and Chadwell are a tier above him in my mind but he looks like a solid option if those don't work out.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a joke. If a football person living in GA hasn’t heard of McGee and the massive amount of respect he has around here, they don’t know as much as they think. Absolutely love TC. Would love to have him back. Nothing makes me think he’s ready to be a HC. McGee has those credentials, whether some people realize it or not.
I agree about McGee. Personally I want Chadwell. Period. But since I love lists, here's mine (since everyone has been begging me for it ;))
1. Chadwell - first call. Second call. Then beg.
2. O'Brien. - not sexy, but stable and safe?
3. Todd Monken - great OC, can he cut it as HC?
4. McGee - excellent recruiter, he's a high school coaching legend in Ga, but how does that translate to a P5 HC gig?
5. Mullen or Prime Time - big questions with both. Could be perfect fits that elevate the program, but also could blow up on us.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
My top three realistic currently:
1a.) chadwell
1b.) bob
3.) Mullen

I do not think Deion or Harsin would be serious candidates here, but if Deion was available and amenable he would be the third choice.
I’m prioritizing X’s and O’s and track record building programs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wait, why are people suddenly on the Bohannon train and not Monken (Army version)?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am on record as saying it is my belief that Bohannon is the best of the CPJ disciples from an X's and O's standpoint as well as being a solid coach. He also built that KSU program from scratch.

That being said, I am not advocating to bring the 3O back to GT at all, but if we did, he'd be my choice.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My top three realistic currently:
1a.) chadwell
1b.) bob
3.) Mullen

I do not think Deion or Harsin would be serious candidates here, but if Deion was available and amenable he would be the third choice.
I’m prioritizing X’s and O’s and track record building programs
Can someone please explain why everyone is so high on Bill O’Brian?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I can't speak for everyone else, but I am on record as saying it is my belief that Bohannon is the best of the CPJ disciples from an X's and O's standpoint as well as being a solid coach. He also built that KSU program from scratch.

That being said, I am not advocating to bring the 3O back to GT at all, but if we did, he'd be my choice.
There was a brief period after Bohannon left that some people said we would not be successful, as Bohannon was a main piece to our offense.

I definitely think he was a great coach, but I’m not really sure he is a solid candidate.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Penn State was given the death penalty and despite only having around 60 players on scholarship was able to win > 6 games each year. Has had proven success while being a coach, and only really struggle with Houston when trying to be the GM and head coach.

He isn’t the best candidate, but what he did at Penn State was more challenging with more success than what Collins had to deal with at Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There was a brief period after Bohannon left that some people said we would not be successful, as Bohannon was a main piece to our offense.

I definitely think he was a great coach, but I’m not really sure he is a solid candidate.

He is not a "solid" candidate in that he has no P5 OC/DC/HC experience and is perceived to be wedded to the 3O. As I said, I am not advocating GT hire him. As someone who pays attention to the 3O though, Bohannon is, IMO, a better coach than Monken.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Mostly his PSU work. He really built them back from the doldrums of CFB.
I think he has the “nfl” connection for LT recruiting/coach recruiting. I think he would relish in the chance to rebuild GT.
He is a very good game planner, and QB tutor. I think he also has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove that it’s him.

People point to Houston. He had Brock osweiler and Hoyer as his QBs most of the time. Yes he is a horrible GM, but he wouldn’t have that problem here. I think he could do very well in Atlanta if given the chance.

slugboy

Staff member
can we hire someone whose fans will be sad when they leave? Bama fans seem ready to see him go
They didn’t think that much of Lane Kiffin either (and Saban treated Kiffin like dog ****).

I think Alabama fans were sad to see Kirby Smart go, but they didn't think they'd lose to him.

In general, I'd prefer a coach that did a great job and whose current fans want to keep them, but I'm also not going to lose TOO much sleep over what Bama fans think. O'Brien seems to be doing a good job, and maybe more than a good job, even if most Bama fans don't think so.

EDIT: with time to go to hire an AD, and then to hire a HC, I hope we aren’t sick of all the candidates by the time we make a hire.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I agree about McGee. Personally I want Chadwell. Period. But since I love lists, here's mine (since everyone has been begging me for it ;))
1. Chadwell - first call. Second call. Then beg.
2. O'Brien. - not sexy, but stable and safe?
3. Todd Monken - great OC, can he cut it as HC?
4. McGee - excellent recruiter, he's a high school coaching legend in Ga, but how does that translate to a P5 HC gig?
5. Mullen or Prime Time - big questions with both. Could be perfect fits that elevate the program, but also could blow up on us.
OMG! Finally. I just opened my bottle of 1920 in celebration!

Or maybe because it's a beautiful day along the GA coast and there is football to watch.

Definitely one of the two. 😉

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the ECU and JMU games, think JMU AD Jeff Bourne and either one of Houston or Cignetti as coach are looking good. ECU is beating up USF and JMU taking care of Texas State.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Mostly his PSU work. He really built them back from the doldrums of CFB.
I think he has the “nfl” connection for LT recruiting/coach recruiting. I think he would relish in the chance to rebuild GT.
He is a very good game planner, and QB tutor. I think he also has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove that it’s him.

People point to Houston. He had Brock osweiler and Hoyer as his QBs most of the time. Yes he is a horrible GM, but he wouldn’t have that problem here. I think he could do very well in Atlanta if given the chance.
I know about the scandal, but Penn State was 9-4 the year before he got there. He went 8-4 and then 7-5 in his two seasons. If anything he just kept them from falling apart when they easily could have. And they didn’t have the death penalty. It had a ton of challenges, and 8-4 is a good showing under the circumstances, but I’m not sure those two years warrant making him our head coach.

In the NFL he was a .500 coach and as our OC he was meh.