HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketFan137

Banned
Not disagreeing (well not completely) but this needs perspective.
I think the primary needs are system / process / culture (not even remotely talking about formations or run pass percentage; don’t take it there) accountability, development, leadership and continuity (this one is very under appreciated in college football, IMO). That is the foundation that gets you 75%-80% of the way and that comes from top down.
The “over the hump” is when you start getting and retaining that talent without sacrificing any of the aforementioned basic attributes of your program. It’s great to recruit, but it doesn’t start there. Recruiting takes you from 7-8 wins to double digit wins. It gives you depth to avoid the “let down” because let’s face it, college kids won’t be perfect every Saturday no matter how talented they are. Talent with no purpose and poor leadership is worthless. It is certainly part of the formula, but not the first piece and not the biggest part
yeah it’s all pieces of the pie. can’t lack in any of the areas if you want to build a sound team. plenty of bad coaches have wasted far superior talent relative to their competition at different levels of college football see collins at tech, richt at uga, everybody that has coached at miami the last 20 years.

that being said at this point there is a minimum level of athleticism to compete with some teams. you have to get there with good recruiting or a fantastic S&C program and development. if you don’t have the athletes to play with clemson and uga/any other real top 10 team it’s just gonna be a long night and no coaching, scheme, culture or whatever is gonna be able to overcome that

CEB

Helluva Engineer
that being said at this point there is a minimum level of athleticism to compete with some teams. you have to get there with good recruiting or a fantastic S&C program and development. if you don’t have the athletes to play with clemson and uga/any other real top 10 team it’s just gonna be a long night and no coaching, scheme, culture or whatever is gonna be able to overcome that
Right... I’m including S&C and player development in the coaching aspect. Recruiting is the differentiator between the 7-8 wins or the double digit wins.
Recruiting is not how you build something enduring... especially when all of these kids seem to have a “go bag”packed for when the bag of money shows up.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Again if 10 wins a year is treading water than that means every team not named like Bama, Dawgs, OSU, or Clemson is treading water.

I don’t even really think he’d fit at GT has he’s a prototypical midwestern guy. His record is better than any ACC coach not named Dabo.
Paul Chryst was fired waaay too soon, IMO. Sure they got waxed by OSU away, and WSU and Illinois at home. But like many teams , big donors are getting involved more quickly and putting $$$ pressure on the AA. He is a midwest guy but he has a good track record. Chris McIntosh, a former OL at UW is the fairly new AD and I think he may have overreacted. I really don't think Leonhard is ready to be HC, but I guess we will see. It's a big jump for that conference.
If I was GT AD, I would definitely hold a serious talk with Chryst. They currently have 33 guys ( many on the OL ) in the NFL, Tech has less than 12.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Paul Chryst was fired waaay too soon, IMO. Sure they got waxed by OSU away, and WSU and Illinois at home. But like many teams , big donors are getting involved more quickly and putting $$$ pressure on the AA. He is a midwest guy but he has a good track record. Chris McIntosh, a former OL at UW is the fairly new AD and I think he may have overreacted. I really don't think Leonhard is ready to be HC, but I guess we will see. It's a big jump for that conference.
If I was GT AD, I would definitely hold a serious talk with Chryst. They currently have 33 guys ( many on the OL ) in the NFL, Tech has less than 12.
How’d he do at Pitt? Thats a more similar situation to Tech’s.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
How’d he do at Pitt? Thats a more similar situation to Tech’s.
Well since that is almost exactly 10 years ago, I suppose it has some relevance. He was 19-19. For 1st HC job, not stellar. But FAR from 9-27.

Last edited:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize it's much easier said than done... but I get pretty jealous watch Wake Forest (& Coach Clawson). Would be nice to "find" a guy like that.
they arestilltheexceptionvsrule

True, but they are still the exception vs rule. Of those on our list, Chadwell may fit the profile. Who the new AD is, will have a lot of bearing on who we get. Imo, hopefully somebody proven.

Last edited:

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
True, but they are still the exception vs rule. Of those on our list, Chadwell may fit the profile. Who the new AD is, will have a lot of bearing on who we get. Imo, hopefully somebody proven.
Are they actually the exception? I don't ask this sarcastically but I'm genuinely curious. I'm grasping at straws to think of any lower division coaches who were dominant and then failed at the P5 level off the top of my head.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I realize it's much easier said than done... but I get pretty jealous watch Wake Forest (& Coach Clawson). Would be nice to "find" a guy like that.

Some people have FCS resumes that scream "This guy will be a good coach" at the P5 level. Leipold at WI-Whitewater (seriously, look up his time there), Paul Johnson at GA Southern, Willie Fritz at Sam Houston, etc. The problem is, ADs and donors want to "win the press conference" and aren't willing to risk any blowback from their fans when they ask "Who?!!". You give a guy like Leipold and CPJ the resources of 'Bama/UGA/Texas and watch them repeatedly win their conference and go to the playoffs. Guys like Leipold and Johnson end up having to build up programs at various stops before they get a shot at the P5 level. By then, they are older and past their prime coaching years. Willie Fritz is a good example of that.

Right now, IMO, there are two guys from the lower levels I think would be GREAT at this level: KC Keeler (Sam Houston State), Curt Cignetti (James Madison). Cignetti is currently 61 years old, so he may not have too many schools after him due to his age.

Which leads me to Jamey Chadwell. Whoever hires him is going to look like a genius.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Which leads me to Jamey Chadwell. Whoever hires him is going to look like a genius.
I know it wasn't you, but I recall similar thoughts expressed about Scott Satterfield before he left App State (51-24, 38-10 in conference) to go to Louisville (20-22, 12-17 in conference). The best indicator of success in almost any position, is previous experience in that position. If we want a winning P5 coach, hire a coach who won at that level. Anything else is hoping.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know it wasn't you, but I recall similar thoughts expressed about Scott Satterfield before he left App State (51-24, 38-10 in conference) to go to Louisville (20-22, 12-17 in conference). The best indicator of success in almost any position, is previous experience in that position. If we want a winning P5 coach, hire a coach who won at that level. Anything else is hoping.

It might have been me...I was actually a big advocate of Satterfield for GT. Hey, gotta own up to what you say!

Satterfield hasn't been awful at Louisville, he's been to 2 bowl games in 3 seasons. He definitely hasn't had the success at Louisville that he did at App State.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I'm confused. You saying Satterfield is or is not evidence of your theory? 'Cause he seems to be on the verge of getting fired too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm saying he sucks. But folks were high on him as an up and comer, just like Chadwell.
Ok, I'm with you. I think it's another clear illustration that none of us have this thing figured out. They're all crap shoots, imo.

We can all make a case for the guys we like, but I sorta cringe when folks act like they have the blueprint.

That's not a shot at you and your Caldwell love, @Techster . Not that I'm scared to take shots at you, btw. Just not this time. :sneaky: