HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They will hire the AD first is my guess as well. I was just talking about us fans opinion on the current names, as none of us really matter and this whole thread is just for fun at the end of the day. I think there's lots of unanswered questions that we should wait to see before declaring being on board with one candidate. I wanted people to think about how they would feel about "their guy" if the season went one way or another.

Yeah I agree with Courvoirsier here. We should have an AD ID thread.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
NIL opportunities are malleable. GT is in Atlanta with many companies headquartered here. A coach with name recognition like Deion would immediate draw NIL interest. IF he can recruit some 5 and 4 star players (and I think he would just being Deion), the NIL offers would start arriving and with somewhat significant dollars.

NIL won't come around unless we have a marquee coach OR we start signing marquee recruits. On top of that, we need to have competitive team, winning record and some top 25 time each season.

Claiming to be broke and not trying means, yeah, NIL will be non-existent. I'd call it the equivalent of pouting and taking the ball and going home.

Do we have enough $$$ and fundraising to hire a stud HC, no, but we can still hire a competent one with, and this is most important, UPSIDE. Deion has that when it comes to $$$ and recruiting. Would he have good OC/DC and coaches? I don't know. Several on the lists so far wouldn't move the NIL needle, unless they found a stud recruiting coach to add to the team.

We either need Deion for the raw upside of getting 4/5 star recruits and NIL attraction, OR we need a brilliant X/O coach with a knack for hiring good OC and DC (not just one, but above average on both sides).
Why either/or? Deion might turn out to be both.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's several steps up from where he's at currently, in a city that was a major part of his pro career, where he has a massive fan base and in one of the most talent rich areas in the country, and he gets to follow the guy who has set the bar the lowest it has ever been. He also gets to play in a relatively weak conference while still being P5, improving his odds at competing for championships, and he has less donors trying to meddle than programs like Auburn.
Who says Deion is motivated to play for championships? He’s coaching because he believes in HBCUs. And for all the reasons you described, why would he want to risk tarnishing his brand? For a school he has no connection to?

Pipe dream.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure that poll is the best indicator. If you read through the potential hires thread at the time I think several of us were skeptical about Collins but at the end of the day, once he was hired, we were excited for the future willing to give him a chance (and he wasn't Wisenhunt).
The death of math. Not trying to be a jerk here but aren’t Tech men good at math. Haha. Yes several were disappointed OR about 20% or 1 in 5. Most were fired up. The 20%, of which I was a member of, still wanted it to work out. The poll, seems to be the perfect indicator even according to your data. Just kidding, Bud.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Paul Finebaum reports today that Tech is a program of the past and will never be relevant again. It simply doesn't have the fanbase or the booster base to attract anyone worthwhile and even if it did, it has no resources. Deion coming to Tech has no chance.
If we are largely underwhelmed with the AD and HC hire, it will make me wonder if the Hill may agree with Finebaum’s assessment (you don’t want to throw good money after bad). However, if we go big on these hires then I believe the Hill thinks we can be relevant again. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
We're in a Major FBS conference. We're in a state known for top end high school football. What in the world is holding GT back from being a top 20 recruiting school, year in and year out? Only our own fears and pessimism?

I can think of nothing limiting GT. We have gotten used to only getting one 4-star recruit every 3 or 4 years, but nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least.

I think we agree to disagree. I hear you saying you're realistic and practical. It also comes across as someone that has given up, thrown in the towel. Are you saying we should accept losing records and just be happy to be in the ACC? Would you drop football program since its losing money? Would you drop down to FCS or Division II?

Winning and recruiting solves the $$$ issue and we could even turn a profit. The fans will come if we're playing a game with UGA at end of the season with playoffs on the line. Can't get there if we don't try.
We all want this. The reason it’s difficult are many. No liberal arts, Calculus (no joke even with a tutor) the death of math in this country aka foreign students that don’t care as much about football (this is not bad it just is what it is), no sidewalk fans, graduates move away, and pro football. Excuses….you bet. Fact based…..also true. It can be done though. O’Leary did it. CPJ did it. In a 12 team playoff, we get in 8 years ago. That’s not 1952. That’s yesterday. Hell, even Chaney made it to an ACC championship game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The death of math. Not trying to be a jerk here but aren’t Tech men good at math. Haha. Yes several were disappointed OR about 20% or 1 in 5. Most were fired up. The 20%, of which I was a member of, still wanted it to work out. The poll, seems to be the perfect indicator even according to your data. Just kidding, Bud.
Maybe so. I know I was skeptic in one thread but once it happened I was excited and wanted it to work out. I wasn't going to not approve from day 1.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
He is a SEC butt kisser. He thinks the SEC is NFL caliber and all other conferences are chopped liver. Has a show on the SEC network of I'm not mistaken. I don't watch it. He may have played peewee football but nothing any higher.
. Mine wasn’t really a comment on the man’s character or opinions, but more a comment that a guy had never heard of him

JacketFan137

Banned
We're in a Major FBS conference. We're in a state known for top end high school football. What in the world is holding GT back from being a top 20 recruiting school, year in and year out? Only our own fears and pessimism?

I can think of nothing limiting GT. We have gotten used to only getting one 4-star recruit every 3 or 4 years, but nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least.

I think we agree to disagree. I hear you saying you're realistic and practical. It also comes across as someone that has given up, thrown in the towel. Are you saying we should accept losing records and just be happy to be in the ACC? Would you drop football program since its losing money? Would you drop down to FCS or Division II?

Winning and recruiting solves the $$$ issue and we could even turn a profit. The fans will come if we're playing a game with UGA at end of the season with playoffs on the line. Can't get there if we don't try.
i think guys here hold over their tech resentment from their time as a student grinding away in academic rigor and just assume tech is a ****ty place to be.

collins is by all accounts a goofball (and according to these same people on here was a terrible hire to begin with) and he pulled a top 25 class. if a good recruiter could come here and actually win i don’t think that’s some unachievable feat that can never happen again. unless these guys think collins is the greatest recruiter ever and nothing will top him, idk why they act like it’s impossible to get a recruit to come to tech lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we are largely underwhelmed with the AD and HC hire, it will make me wonder if the Hill may agree with Finebaum’s assessment (you don’t want to throw good money after bad). However, if we go big on these hires then I believe the Hill thinks we can be relevant again. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
What exactly do you expect the Hill to do?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL...kinda my feelings on this. I think Deion will be able to recruit no matter where he goes because he does have a magnetic personality that will play well with parents, but I highly doubt any current coach will "fear" him.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Me three. Wasn't my first choice but wanted to believe. And there for a while, I did, all the while abiding the money down and sideline weightlifting and the rest of it. Wanted to believe the new assistants would make it work. Truth is, there was never a chance it would work.

slugboy

Staff member
It looks like we’ve left the conversation about potential HC candidates several pages back. Here are a few things we know and some things I suppose:

1. Cabrera appointed an interim AD from his staff, Frank Neville, his chief of staff. From his bio, most people would say that Neville knows sports, was an athlete, and has been on the Board of Trustees, so he's aware of the state of the Athletic Association. I read this as Cabrera deciding that the AA is broken and appointing someone from outside the AA that he trusts and who knows sports and has a management background. https://ramblinwreck.com/georgia-tech-announces-leadership-changes-in-athletics/
  2. We are four games into the season. Cabrera and the board may have acted early so that there is time to start solving problems at the AA and still have time to hire a good new HC.
  3. GT hired a search firm that had success at Tennessee recently.
  4. There is buzz that GT was already looking at AD candidates before this weekend
We're only one day into the process. There's a possibility that we're really fixing things, and we're going to pursue a methodical process to find the right AD and then find the right HC. It'll take more than one day to tell.

Last year, Cabrera publicly wondered what the school could do to address the debt at the AA. He was also there in person, with donors, to see our last two games (definitely UGA). He has had half a year to watch the course of the AA and decide that things were not getting better.

Let's watch and see. The administration may focus first on finding the right long-term AD to get it on a sustainable path towards growth, where the administration doesn't get embarrassed at games. If that takes a long time, Neville and whatever HD search committee is put together might hire a head coach before an AD is hired, but I'm sure the plan is to get the right AD in as quickly as possible.

Looking at what has gone wrong over the past 20 years, you need good fundraising at the AA, you need big donor expectations managed, you need to effectively evaluate and hire coaches and staff that fit your mission and direction (i.e. find the coach that meets the needs you've identified rather than who ex-coaches and boosters think is the hot pick), and you have to maintain flexibility since the college sports landscape is shifting rapidly. That's an organizational transformation, and you're looking for the AD to lead that transformation.

That's my long-winded way of saying I don't think we'll have a coaching selection next week.