HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What if Key is actually worse then Collins will we fire him too? I’m definitely not impressed with Chip Long so-far but he has the most O’Leary-esque personality on the coaching staff to toughen up and gut out some wins this season imo.
At the end of the season.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is no silver bullet 12 win coach or even 8-0 win coach. We have boundaries; "they have to want us" and money.

Pick someone who can make positive in game changes, someone who has demonstrated success, someone who is currently doing good...

CPJ was a bargain because of his offense. I just hope we can find another bargin high football IQ coach for the money we are offering.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure if anybody posted it and, frankly, IDGAF.

Roddy and Wes were on ACC radio and addressed the GT sitch. A few notes ...

- Roddy cited the long, successful tenures of past AD's so the AD firing was strange for GT. Wes mentioned it'd never happened at GT.

- Wes loves PrimeTime in general, just doesn't see him as a realistic candidate. Doesn't see the logic behind it.

- Roddy says the logic is he holds Atlanta in high esteem, could obviously recruit to GT. That's the 'logic' but doesn't see him as a realistic candidate either. Questions his 'academic record' which matters at Tech. - I'm not sure what he means here. Is he simply saying PT hasn't had to deal with the usual GT administration tying coaches hands more than their competitors? Or is he suggesting something specific to Deion? I don't know the answer but I hope it's the former.

- Wes wondered aloud if they'd hire the AD first, seems to think they will.

- Roddy said not necessarily, "Miami didn't". But seemed to acquiesce in thinking they will likely go AD first.

- Wes ended it on that note but Roddy added he recognized the covid stuff and other things bit Collins but this was more than justified in happening. - this felt like him trying to soften the harder things he said last week.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He’s convinced their fans that’s the case. It’s not though.

Deion knows how to play the media. He created a persona during his playing days, backed it up with his play on the field, leveraged the media to project that persona, and it made him immensely rich off the field with blue chip endorsements. He's doing it again with his coaching career...and give him credit because he's doing a wonderful job by backing it up at Jackson State.

Now, here's where you run into the Peter Principle type situation: Do you want to be the school that holds the bag if it doesn't work out because you took a big swing on a lower level coach that has immense media backing, but slim on experience? Did you pay for the media hype, or are you paying for a football coach? It's an expensive gamble to make...you can hit a home run, or you can strike out. I don't think there will be an in between with Deion at the P5 level.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Heard from my source that’s been sending me info all week (the same info I’ve been posting), he knows Chadwell a little bit and knows a few people that are around Chadwell, and he is led to believe that Chadwell would only be interested if he could bring his same staff at coastal with him to tech. He doesn’t have much interest in leaving his staff behind and getting new guys. That might cause some problems.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard from my source that’s been sending me info all week (the same info I’ve been posting), he knows Chadwell a little bit and knows a few people that are around Chadwell, and he is led to believe that Chadwell would only be interested if he could bring his same staff at coastal with him to tech. He doesn’t have much interest in leaving his staff behind and getting new guys. That might cause some problems.
Is it a problem because we’d force a new coach to keep some of the existing staff? I’ve typically seen it’s normal to clear house so seems like a fair request from Chadwell

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The new coach should be allowed to bring his staff with him. If we have boosters or admin trying to force assistant coaches then it won't end well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is it a problem because we’d force a new coach to keep some of the existing staff? I’ve typically seen it’s normal to clear house so seems like a fair request from Chadwell

No. It is a problem because there is a strong belief that a coach newly promoted from G5 needs people with p% experience on his staff to help him succeed. This belief may/may not hold merit but it is something that will have to be navigated.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
It’s a problem because a coach that’s brand new to P5 coaching at any coaching position, and not just HC, has a high chance to struggle out of the gate. You usually see schools surround guys that have little to no experience at the P5 level with experienced veterans guys to help that out. You see a lot of schools do it and it’s extremely smart. Most schools even do it with HC’s who still have P5 experience as a position coach or coordinator but are a first time HC.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We're in a Major FBS conference. We're in a state known for top end high school football. What in the world is holding GT back from being a top 20 recruiting school, year in and year out? Only our own fears and pessimism?

I can think of nothing limiting GT. We have gotten used to only getting one 4-star recruit every 3 or 4 years, but nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least.

I think we agree to disagree. I hear you saying you're realistic and practical. It also comes across as someone that has given up, thrown in the towel. Are you saying we should accept losing records and just be happy to be in the ACC? Would you drop football program since its losing money? Would you drop down to FCS or Division II?

Winning and recruiting solves the $$$ issue and we could even turn a profit. The fans will come if we're playing a game with UGA at end of the season with playoffs on the line. Can't get there if we don't try.
I hate to rain on anybody's parade and I hope this isn't taken personally, but this is what I mean when I sometimes refer to "visions of sugarplums" when I talk about Tech fans. I agree that Tech can return to football respectability, and occasionally to prominence. But there are real limitations to Tech's recruiting and in its academic requirements. Tech isn't going to pull in 6 4 and 5 star players every year, no matter what the opportunities in our region or what incentives we offer or who coaches. (This has happened, but I can only think of one class (2007) like that in recent history.) Tech has fielded competitive teams and had records most schools in college football would envy with those players who can fit the school and its program. And it has been done with minimal impact on academic standards. To repeat my mantra on this: at Tech the football program has to fit the school, not vice versa.

What we need to do is get a coach who can make football work at Tech, even within the constraints. He's out there; in fact, there are several of them already mentioned here.

JacketFan137

Banned
I hate to rain on anybody's parade and I hope this isn't taken personally, but this is what I mean when I sometimes refer to "visions of sugarplums" when I talk about Tech fans. I agree that Tech can return to football respectability, and occasionally to prominence. But there are real limitations to Tech's recruiting and in its academic requirements. Tech isn't going to pull in 6 4 and 5 star players every year, no matter what the opportunities in our region or what incentives we offer or who coaches. (This has happened, but I can only think of one class (2007) like that in recent history.) Tech has fielded competitive teams and had records most schools in college football would envy with those players who can fit the school and its program. And it has been done with minimal impact on academic standards. To repeat my mantra on this: at Tech the football program has to fit the school, not vice versa.

What we need to do is get a coach who can make football work at Tech, even within the constraints. He's out there; in fact, there are several of them already mentioned here.
we had 4 4* recruits in 2020 with collins. don’t tell me a different coach couldn’t do the same thing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No. It is a problem because there is a strong belief that a coach newly promoted from G5 needs people with p% experience on his staff to help him succeed. This belief may/may not hold merit but it is something that will have to be navigated.

If Chadwell came from the midwest or the west coast, I'd worry a bit. The biggest hurdle isn't going from G5 to P5, it's recruiting. Chadwell will literally be moving one state over. He's recruiting GA and the South heavily right now, and so has his staff. Walking in with a "GT" on his shirt will open more doors and get the attention of more recruits than "Coastal Carolina" ever would. X's and O's on the field don't change...they're either sound, or they're not.

The other thing is his entire staff won't be coming to GT. It's well known that if Chadwell moves on from Coastal, Willie Korn (curren't Co-OC) will take over for Chadwell at Coastal. Several current staff members will also probably stay behind because it will be their chance to move up. There will be positions Chadwell will have to backfill, and I suspect that's where a coach with P5 experience will come into play.

Honestly, I really hope the new coach comes in and cleans house...and isn't forced to hire a "GT guy". We need new eyes and ears in our program. This is a chance for GT to truly start over. Now if certain people (see: donors) want to put one of "their guys" on the staff because it gives someone beholden to them, then we've lost the plot.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It’s a problem because a coach that’s brand new to P5 coaching at any coaching position, and not just HC, has a high chance to struggle out of the gate. You usually see schools surround guys that have little to no experience at the P5 level with experienced veterans guys to help that out. You see a lot of schools do it and it’s extremely smart. Most schools even do it with HC’s who still have P5 experience as a position coach or coordinator but are a first time HC.
I don't see any problem at all with a coach bringing in assistants he knows how to work with, no matter what the level involved. Paul had great success with a crew made up largely of his former assistants from Georgia Southern. If Chadwell wants to bring in coaches who know what he wants to do and how to spot the talent to do it, I see nothing but old baseball scout prejudices against letting him do it. As in:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If Chadwell came from the midwest or the west coast, I'd worry a bit. The biggest hurdle isn't going from G5 to P5, it's recruiting. Chadwell will literally be moving one state over. He's recruiting GA and the South heavily right now, and so has his staff. Walking in with a "GT" on his shirt will open more doors and get the attention of more recruits than "Coastal Carolina" ever would. X's and O's on the field don't change...they're either sound, or they're not.

The other thing is his entire staff won't be coming to GT. It's well known that if Chadwell moves on from Coastal, Willie Korn (curren't Co-OC) will take over for Chadwell at Coastal. Several current staff members will also probably stay behind because it will be their chance to move up. There will be positions Chadwell will have to backfill, and I suspect that's were a coach with P5 experience will come into play.

Honestly, I really hope the new coach comes in and cleans house...and isn't forced to hire a "GT guy". We need new eyes and ears in our program. This is a chance for GT to truly start over. Now if certain people (see: donors) want to put one of "their guys" on the staff because it gives someone beholden to them, then we've lost the plot.

I was just explaining why people worry, not saying we should.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Possible. He loved Atlanta when he was playing both sports. He may also be looking for a town that has clean drinking water. ;-)
This reminded of something from my school days. In the mid 90s, one of the local radio stations ran an "ad" for Chattahoochee Bottled Water, "the only one with chunks!"

Atlanta's water problems have been around for a long time......