HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska has stupid money and has no idea what they are doing. That program will continue to be **** just like the state it’s in.

Probably many fans stating being a national contender isn't realistic. I kid, but only partially.
Honestly any program that has finished inside the top 50 in the past 20 years can legitimately be a national contender with the right attitude and funding. If programs like Tennessee, FSU, Michigan, UCLA and Texas can flounder around in consecutive losing seasons territories (not sure if all did, but they did nosedive) then no reason lesser programs can't rise up into National contenders for several year or longer.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ask on this thread yet. And after everyone seems pleased with CBK’s press conference it’s worth a discussion.

What does CBK have to do the rest of the year to even get a second look at retaining the HC job on permanent status? Is there a certain number of wins, or boxes he can check for GT to let him keep the job? With 8 games left he has to go 5-3 (or 5-2 against everybody not named UGA) to make a bowl game. That would almost double CGCs career high for single season wins in only 3/4 of a season. Would CBK making a bowl game warrant a second look at keeping him as HC?

What if he goes 3-5? He would match CGCs standard is 3/4 of a season amid a ton of turmoil within the program. That would be a pretty admirable effort. Enough to keep him around? I don’t know.

I think everyone has been pretty disappointed with CBKs OL recruiting and on field play since he’s been here. But if the rumors about Collins over stepping his boundaries, and his practice style not being conducive to development, what if Key really isn’t the one the blame there? Not saying that’s the case, but just, what if?

I think it’s an interesting question that hasn’t really been discussed yet. To me it would be really hard to let a hometown boy go who just led you to a bowl game for the first time in 4 years, after replacing the worst coach in school history mid-season.

What do you guys think?

If he wins 5 of 8 and beats UGA he would be worth a look for sure, if he simply beats UGA and ruins their season he might also be worth a look.

slugboy

Staff member
So, some of us should avert our eyes while people talk about hiring Jerry Glanville and other names that make them happy. Drink up and enjoy the cavalcade of names!

For the rest of us, we can let the search committee find an AD and generate a list of HC candidates, and the AD can hire the HC in about a month or more.

Don’t let us old stodgy process people spoil the fun of dreaming of a HC.

Keep in mind, if you dream about getting someone like Nick Saban or Bill Belichick, you're going to raise up your expectations until no other coach can meet them.
Plus, someone might hire one of our candidates before we do. Auburn is trying to get Deion (maybe). If we do this right, we'll get someone good, and maybe someone better for us than who Auburn and Nebraska get.
The big thing is that we fix our house and chart a path that works for us.

jeb84

Georgia Tech Fan
We need to wait the rest of the season to see with lots of these guys.

If Chadwell loses Grayson McCall for the season (unsure of how bad his injury is) and goes 4-4 do we still like him? If he goes 8-0 do the people (like me) change their mind?
What if Primetime loses the Celebration Bowl again by multiple scores? What if he doesn't even win the conference?
If Alabama starts to set records on offense how does that change how you feel about BOB?
If Key gets us to a bowl do you want to keep him?

I think lots of these hires have questions that might be answered this year. I think for me Deion needs to win the Celebration Bowl to be considered. You can't lose that two years in a row with his talent advantage and be taken seriously. If Chadwell can show he can win without a generational QB for his system then I'm on board, he has a losing record at Coastal without Grayson and I want to see if this is a Gus Malzhan situation where he needs insane QB play for it to work at a high level. I personally don't think much will change my mind about BOB unless the offense really stinks it up which I'm not anticipating simply because its Alabama and everyone has been good there. I think Tyson Helton and the guy I posted about earlier, Mike Bloomgren, can really increase their stock this year if WKU getting ranked or Rice goes bowling. I think Key should get the job if he goes 5-3 and we get a bowl bid, especially if he can get at least an average recruiting class to sign on.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He is a bit of a gamble, I know. I think it's his connections in the state, being a solid part of a successful program now. If it is correct that he is in a group with O'Brien and Chadwell, as Gt2019 is claiming, then there must be more to know about him than I can find. I did rank him 3rd of my preference on the list that was posted. and that's as far as I went. I am personally checking om a couple others, not on that list. but I need time to do a little more checking before I post. This forum can be harsh if you post before you have all your facts straight, amiright ??:rolleyes:

"He has recruited Atlanta and the four-hour radius around it for years."

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No ties to the south, will have much much bigger job offers, has a real path to winning and sustaining a winning program at Kansas with the future of the BIG12 with atleast Texas and Oklahoma leaving. Lance really enjoys Kansas from what I’ve read. He could get the Texas job if Sark is gone in a year or two and he puts up another winning season at Kansas.

If Paul Chryst has an underwhelming year at Wisconsin, there's a groundswell among some very important people at Wisconsin that want to bring Leipold "home". Leipold is a Wisconsin guy...born there, and had an amazing career at UW-Whitewater. Tells you how expectations have gotten out of control at certain schools because Chryst is 67-25 at UW, but Wisconsin has a LOT of money, and they feel they should be on par with Michigan and Ohio State. They want Leipold because he's Nebraska's #1 target at the moment, and with the money they have along with Leipold's coaching acumen, they want to be a powerhouse again...and if Nebraska gets him and turns them into a powerhouse, there's going to be a LOT of angry Wisconsin fans.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I They want Leipold because he's Nebraska's #1 target at the moment, and with the money they have along with Leipold's coaching acumen, they want to be a powerhouse again...and if Nebraska gets him and turns them into a powerhouse, there's going to be a LOT of angry Wisconsin fans.

Be a powerhouse again??? I'm only part way through my 6th decade here on this spinning rock but I never recall them being a powerhouse. Must of been before my time, back when Minnesota, Yale and Army were also powerhouses. With that being said, they have been a pretty good program over the last 3 decades or so.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Be a powerhouse again??? I'm only part way through my 6th decade here on this spinning rock but I never recall them being a powerhouse. Must of been before my time, back when Minnesota, Yale and Army were also powerhouses. With that being said, they have been a pretty good program over the last 3 decades or so.

Nebraska? They were a powerhouse in that Tommy Frazier era, no?

A power-minihouse?

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska? They were a powerhouse in that Tommy Frazier era, no?

A power-minihouse?
I think they meant Wisconsin.

Nebraska's history is absurd. From the hiring of Bob Devaney in 1962 to the running off of Frank Solich in 2003. They did not have a losing season and only three times did they win less than 8 games.

I think we forget just how good of a program they used to be.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

They've been consistently very good, with a few spurts of being extremely good to elite. Wisconsin wants to be consistently extremely good to elite. They think Leipold can do it with their resources and his background.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think they meant Wisconsin.

Nebraska's history is absurd. From the hiring of Bob Devaney in 1962 to the running off of Frank Solich in 2003. They did not have a losing season and only three times did they win less than 8 games.

I think we forget just how good of a program they used to be.

Makes the doldrums they've occupied, for so many years, seem really strange.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For UGA...
I could recruit this state for UGA and I HATE those sumbitches!! :LOL:

I had dinner with 2 UGA friends today. As soon as I said "Dell McGee", they said "Stay the F$CK away from him!" in unison. LOL

No doubt he's he great recruiter for UGA...but Key was a great recruiter for 'Bama. It hasn't translated at GT. Some schools recruit themselves. I think Dell McGee would probably recruit very well for GT, but you better give him $3million just for our coordinators, and those coordinators better be on the Jeff Lebby/Kendal Briles level. That's the only way McGee works at GT...and that's also a BIG gamble, IMO, an even bigger gamble than CGC. CGC at least showed the ability to win at Temple, and had a pretty good DC record backing him up.

Before anyone says "Dabo/Sam Pittman/Ed Orgeron was successful as a position coach turned HC"...well, if you give us Clemons/Arkansas/LSU money, I'm OK putting whoever you want at HC because if it doesn't work out, those programs have a LOT of money to erase that mistake. GT does not.