HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys....

You guys have had exactly one top 25 recruiting class this century, and the guy responsible for it just got run out of town on a clown car.

You guys are Georgia Tech guys, you believe in numbers, and letting the data guide you. You guys ran the experiment with Jeff collins, you got the biggest best recruiter, the biggest best brander, the guy most focused on taking advantage of the Atlanta market, who loved tech, and who wanted to get it done through recruiting, and the result was today.

The idea that Deion Sanders who until a year and a half ago was a high school coach, is going to come in and make you what you're not is more than a little silly, to me.

Get a guy who can coach the living hell out of the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, because the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, and the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech, and that hasn't changed in a generation now, and it's probably not ever going to.
The notion that Geoff was the biggest, best recruiter is just not true. Geoff never ranked highly on Rivals or 247 as a recruiter. He’s only been credited with recruiting two five stars in his entire coaching history. Deion got one in his first two years coaching at the collegiate level at Jackson State. If you don’t want Deion, just say you don’t want him and leave it at that. Stop trying to say he’s another version of Geoff.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Why would you be excited by McGee? I don’t understand given his resume
He is a bit of a gamble, I know. I think it's his connections in the state, being a solid part of a successful program now. If it is correct that he is in a group with O'Brien and Chadwell, as Gt2019 is claiming, then there must be more to know about him than I can find. I did rank him 3rd of my preference on the list that was posted. and that's as far as I went. I am personally checking om a couple others, not on that list. but I need time to do a little more checking before I post. This forum can be harsh if you post before you have all your facts straight, amiright ??:rolleyes:

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
A half dozen 5 stars a year? How many programs actually do that?

No I haven't given up. But unless you have a strategy and plan on paper ... it's just wishful thinking.
I said 4 AND 5, not just 5. I have no illusions of getting six 5 star recruits, that #1 recruiting class territory, but getting four or five 4 stars and one 5 star is not that big a reach for a major FBS school in a large metro area in a major high school football state.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The HC has a name already and it's Lance Leipold
Lance Leipold is not a realistic target for tech. Check into his contract and he just got a 1 year contract extension that takes him all the way to 2027. Just because he’s winning at Kansas doesn’t mean he’s automatically a tech option.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
Lance Leipold is not a realistic target for tech. Check into his contract and he just got a 1 year contract extension that takes him all the way to 2027. Just because he’s winning at Kansas doesn’t mean he’s automatically a tech option.
It's not just the winning at Kansas. At Buffalo as well, but I am only a wishful thinker. I will hold onto hope until the end.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the winning at Kansas. At Buffalo as well, but I am only a wishful thinker. I will hold onto hope until the end.
No ties to the south, will have much much bigger job offers, has a real path to winning and sustaining a winning program at Kansas with the future of the BIG12 with atleast Texas and Oklahoma leaving. Lance really enjoys Kansas from what I’ve read. He could get the Texas job if Sark is gone in a year or two and he puts up another winning season at Kansas.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
The original post said, and I quote, "… nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least." Well, actually, there is. 4 4 star recruits is a lot different from 6 4 and 5 star recruits. Tech can get 4 4stars every now and then, but regularly? Every year? I think not.

That most emphatically does not mean that Tech can't have winning football teams and win big on a regular basis. It has been done before. All we need is the coaching to do it.

I meant six 4 and 5 stars combined, in any allocation and yes, this is not only possible, but can be done regularly if we don't hire a retread or zombie for a coach. Aiming for mediocrity will result in mediocrity. The transfer portal, NIL and other changes can work in our favor if we change our mindset.

Also remember, the star ratings have inflated over the past 30 years, for the obvious reason that fans hearing about 4 and 5 star recruits get more excited and are more likely to pay for recruiting site access. Getting six combined 4 and 5 star recruits is not that difficult, certainly not as difficult as it might have been 30 years ago.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
No ties to the south, will have much much bigger job offers, has a real path to winning and sustaining a winning program at Kansas with the future of the BIG12 with atleast Texas and Oklahoma leaving. Lance really enjoys Kansas from what I’ve read. He could get the Texas job if Sark is gone in a year or two and he puts up another winning season at Kansas.
I've also read he has ties to Nebraska and they're in dire need of a revival as well.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
If your definition of wins is competing consistently for National Championships and avg double digit wins, that is not realistic.

I agree, that is realistic, but I suggest we aim for more than that and settle for that if it so happens. Aiming for that realistic take will result in not meeting it. I am aiming for national contender every year, ACC champ contender every year. While not realistic for many schools outside of Bama, UGA, Texas, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, FSU and Texas A&M (based on funds, following, alumni base), starting each season already punting on being a top 10 or top 20 team is not the least bit positive. I see too many lesser programs improve dramatically with a good coach and good investments.

The NIL, transfer portal and a high upside (and maybe risky) hire can turn a program around in just 1 or 2 years now. It's not four year players any more, not for the good, national contending programs. The academic crap is a lame excuse. There are only maybe 15-20% of recruits that couldn't be tutored to pass Calculus, the only mandatory class that could present problems. We have majors other than Engineering, so that isn't an issue either.