HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
True. But that's true of this thread as well. We really only left the one with the poll separate.
Fair enough. I did not keep up with this thread early in its life. That CGC thread was the product of more than two. Still 365 pages is quite a lot more than 311. Maybe we can debate the record here long enough to change the outcome!!!

You guys did a good job keeping the bulls in the street the past couple of months. Thanks.

Maybe we need a new fire somebody else thread.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. I did not keep up with this thread early in its life. That CGC thread was the product of more than two. Still 365 pages is quite a lot more than 311. Maybe we can debate the record here long enough to change the outcome!!!

You guys did a good job keeping the bulls in the street the past couple of months. Thanks.

Maybe in the basketball forum? <running and ducking>

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Chip Long?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I thougth it was always fire Coach Danny Hall? He is the go to

slugboy

Staff member
Is liberty really a step up from ccu?
It’s hard to tell how much money they have because they’re private. They’ve spent more on facilities lately than any of the G5 schools in their conference and were spending more on Freeze than a number of P5 schools were spending on their coach. Auburn did lure Freeze away from Liberty, with both a raise and a ticket back to the SEC, which tells you an upper-tier and well-funded SEC school has more firepower than Liberty.

Liberty is a very conservative campus with a curfew, a dress code, and conduct rules. It’s in Lynchburg, about halfway between Richmond and Blacksburg (VT). Freeze fit in pretty well there for years.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to tell how much money they have because they’re private. They’ve spent more on facilities lately than any of the G5 schools in their conference and were spending more on Freeze than a number of P5 schools were spending on their coach. Auburn did lure Freeze away from Liberty, with both a raise and a ticket back to the SEC, which tells you an upper-tier and well-funded SEC school has more firepower than Liberty.

Liberty is a very conservative campus with a curfew, a dress code, and conduct rules. It’s in Lynchburg, about halfway between Richmond and Blacksburg (VT). Freeze fit in pretty well there for years.
At the time that Liberty gave him that new contract I wondered if part of it was Freeze doing Liberty a solid by agreeing to a huge buyout, knowing that he was in the running for a bigger gig and wanting to payback Liberty for giving him a chance at coaching redemption. Just a speculation. But surely both he and Liberty knew that he was going to take a big gig somewhere soon.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Growing up in the sort of elementary->high schools that sent a lot of people to Liberty and similar places... their recent football fascination is deeply strange to me.
They also sponsor the Hendrick Motorsports car # 24 in NASCAR. They are spending money on sports activities for sure. I guess they take the "football (and maybe all sports) is the front porch of the university" seriously.

JacketFan137

Banned
Their stated goal is to be the evangelical Christian 'BYU' or 'Notre Dame'.

They've carved out quite a niche in the current political climate. Being the standard bearing school of a certain large political subset. They're growing rapidly and flush with cash.

The 12 team playoff will benefit the FBS religious independents, IMHO. Notre Dame has finished in the top twelve 8 out of the last 10 years. (Doesn't mean they'd have made the playoffs every year, if there's conference champions outside the top 12 they'll take a spot.) Much easier pathway for ND, BYU, Liberty to get in the playoffs.
i’m curious to see if they can recruit with the big boys as the continue to build the program. i have a hard time thinking that a prospective 4* kind of player would willingly choose to spend time there when they could easily go have fun at a p5 school and not deal with all those archaic rules.

liberty will probably have to double and triple NIL deals just to steal guys

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yes. They were paying Freeze more than half the ACC schools were paying their coaches. Liberty has determined they will be a player in college football going forward. Give them a decade and they can be the next Cincy making a strong playoff push.
Reminds me a little bit like Oral Roberts did in basketball several years ago. It's a good way to get some national recognition. That school has taken over Lynchburg VA. They took a chance on Frieze(sp?) and it worked for them.