HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Curry won 1 game in 1980, 1 in 1981, 6 in 1982, and 3 in 1983. Key already won 4 in a half-season. I’d say he’s already ahead of where Curry started. But that’s my opinion.
Curry admitted he was not a coach. But the program was on life support too. I think he, along with Kim King, turned it around. It was VERY hard to say no to Curry.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Even though I wasn't for Key, this just brings a smile to the face, you've gotta love the passion Brent Key has and his undeniable ability to lead.
I said it elsewhere and I still believe it....there are many, many people who have a title of "leader". It comes in many different forms and variations. Out of the many (hundreds?) of people I have crossed paths with in my lifetime of working in different fields, I don't know that I have met more than a dozen men or women who were passionate and authentic leaders. Key comes across as one of those. I am as excited as I have been about a coaching hire since we promoted GOL. Not to dismiss the hard work and efforts of CGC and CPJ as they did some good things here. But I am truly excited about the future of Tech FB now. Kudos to the new AD, however this may have transpired. Seeing the reaction of these kids on video was worth the hire. Go Jackets.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Clip ‘n save…I was at the game (live in Raleigh) sitting near Tech’s tunnel. After the game J Batt and Brent Key didn’t merely share a hug, or even a bear hug. No, this was a full on, full frontal manly embrace, the kind that says “if you promise not to lay an egg in Athens, you got the job, I promise.” We shall see. Maybe they were simply caught up in the moment, but I know what I saw.
You called it Backer!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dang well teared up on this 🥲

Not your fault. Somebody up in here choppin' onions er .... somethin'..

Nichole Bloom Crying GIF by Superstore

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You may not know this Augusta, but what is the longest running thread by number of posts?

This thread was second

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

This thread was second
Dang. I thought maybe, for some reason, a Brad Stewart thread was the longest. I don't even remember the above referenced thread though I likely as not posted some kind of silly nonsense as is my custom. Thank you for the reply.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here it is lads!
It may seem superfluous, but from 1904 to 1966, about 62 years, Tech had only 3 coaches

Heisman 1904-1919 1 national championship and 3 or 4 conference championships
Alexander 1920-1944 1 national championship and 8 conference championships
Dodd 1945 -1966 1 national championship and 2 conference championships

Congratulations to Coach Key on being the 21st coach at the Institute. A rich legacy awaits you as I am sure you are aware. Godspeed.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
For those who have/had doubts about HCBK because of perceived OL weaknesses under his tenure:

Despite battling a rash of injuries across the offensive front throughout the season, 2021 marked the second-straight season that Tech’s rushing offense ranked in the top half of the ACC under Key’s watch, with tackle Devin Cochran earning honorable-mention all-ACC recognition before going on to sign with the National Football League’s Cincinnati Bengals.

In 2020, the Jackets ranked fourth in the ACC in fewest sacks allowed (2.3 per game) and fifth in the league in rushing (190.8 yards per game), all with a true freshman (Jordan Williams) starting 9-of-10 games at right tackle.

Despite a multitude of injuries, the Jackets’ offensive line improved throughout the 2019 season, as it went through the monumental transition from an option-based scheme to a pro-style, spread attack. During a one late-season three-game stretch, Tech faced teams that ranked first (Pitt), fourth (Miami) and eighth (Virginia) nationally in sacks. Tech’s offensive front allowed just five total sacks in those three games, including none against eventual ACC Coastal Division champion Virginia. In all, the Jackets didn’t surrender a sack in two of its final four contests.
Source

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

This thread was second
IIRC that was a merged thread. We had several Fire CGC threads with various titles and the mods folded them into one.