HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's for JBatt to figure out, but we can't keep making mediocre hires, firing them, paying buyouts, making more mediocre hires, etc. etc. It's an endless cycle of frustration and mediocrity. If you have to fund raise just for the sole purpose of being capable of making a good hire then please do it. If it is found to be impossible then when we are left out of the next round of expansion, consider moving down to a level that we can financially compete in.
Wrong. On so many levels. Our problem has always been the “hero hire”. We don’t need a hero. We need a coach who can play GT ball. It’s up to Batt to define that.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
AMEN. The only thing holding GT football back are apologists trying to convince us that 6 wins a lowest tier bowl is all GT intangibles will allow. I feel bad for these folks. Too many excuses and not enough desire.
No one is saying that. What they are saying is that six wins is the minimum we should be willing to accept. There are going to be up and down years. Six is the floor.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's for JBatt to figure out, but we can't keep making mediocre hires, firing them, paying buyouts, making more mediocre hires, etc. etc. It's an endless cycle of frustration and mediocrity. If you have to fund raise just for the sole purpose of being capable of making a good hire then please do it. If it is found to be impossible then when we are left out of the next round of expansion, consider moving down to a level that we can financially compete in.
So how many years of mediocrity are needed to go down to next level? Do we need to only have 3 wins a year for 3 years to decide? If we are going to be left out of the next expansion, can we wait till then? How long are you willing to wait? What happens with ACC media rights on the exit? Should we pay it to go down a level?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Wrong. On so many levels. Our problem has always been the “hero hire”. We don’t need a hero. We need a coach who can play GT ball. It’s up to Batt to define that.
Im not sure I would call Geoff Collins, Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey hero hires. Maybe CPJ as he was looked at as the possible solution to our problem of recruiting. Does it honestly not bother you though that we can't compete with many G5 programs for coaching hires, let alone P5 programs?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So how many years of mediocrity are needed to go down to next level? Do we need to only have 3 wins a year for 3 years to decide? If we are going to be left out of the next expansion, can we wait till then? How long are you willing to wait? What happens with ACC media rights on the exit? Should we pay it to go down a level?
Some speak off the cuff without considering details... See the bolded above for a detail that isn't thought about.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure I would call Geoff Collins, Paul Johnson and Chan Gailey hero hires. Maybe CPJ as he was looked at as the possible solution to our problem of recruiting. Does it honestly not bother you though that we can't compete with many G5 programs for coaching hires, let alone P5 programs?
Where did I EVER refer to Collins, Johnson, or Gailey as “hero hires”? Please quote me. You can’t.

The Defense rests.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

It bothers me that O'Leary wanted to expand the stadium by almost 30%, when we didn't have the crowds to fill it. And the AD agreed. And every AD since then has made at least 1 asinine hire - or a decent hire with an asinine contract.

That's the problem. The symptom is us not being able to compete with other programs financially. And the solution? Spending within our means, paying down the debt, paying off our mistakes (read: previous coaches' contracts) - and winning. If we do all those things, the next time this comes around we may be able to compete with the other schools.

We got ourselves into a hole. We can't get out of it by continuing to dig. We have to start finding a way to climb out. That's what I think we're doing.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Hiring CGC was such a massive failure and the main reason we have got ourselves so much worse off than we were when CPJ left.

- He drove down attendance Costing us millions per year
- Lower attendance is eyeballs watching us play, further drove down any advertising revenue.
- Dont forget we now have to pay off so much of his contract before we have money freed up for further hires.
- In the long run also hurt recruiting as he created a culture of losing.
- He hurt donations due to all the stupid stuff he did and had no clue what he was doing and alienating fans
- Lost so many opportunities to hook new fans which would be more donations and butts in the seats

A truly terrible hire and will damage Tech for a decade if we can dig out of this hole .

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Shrek 2 Singing GIF by PeacockTV

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I just said in the post that you responded to that if we get left out of the next round of expansion, and we have the same financial issues then we should consider moving down to a level where we can compete financially. ACC media rights will be over by then. The ACC itself might be over by then. If we do nothing for the next 10 years except see how much money we can save, we will be in an awful position moving forward. Would you disagree with that?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It bothers me that O'Leary wanted to expand the stadium by almost 30%, when we didn't have the crowds to fill it. And the AD agreed. And every AD since then has made at least 1 asinine hire - or a decent hire with an asinine contract.

That's the problem. The symptom is us not being able to compete with other programs financially. And the solution? Spending within our means, paying down the debt, paying off our mistakes (read: previous coaches' contracts) - and winning. If we do all those things, the next time this comes around we may be able to compete with the other schools.

We got ourselves into a hole. We can't get out of it by continuing to dig. We have to start finding a way to climb out. That's what I think we're doing.
You have to have some kind of balance. You can't keep spending far less than everyone else and expect to have a winning team. If you continue to have a losing team, you are digging a hole as well. One that might be harder, if not impossible to get out of.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
lol, im not sure who the hero hires you were referring to were then.
Then WTF are you complaining about? Seriously?

Folks wanted to pursue … Deion, Lincoln Riley, Garret Riley, Bo Schembechler (who is dead) and any of another group who will “save Tech”.

Those are “hero hires”.

Go to the Price Library. It’s on campus. Top of the Hill. Ask for the Dodd archives. Read what the winningest coach in GT history wrote, in his own words, about coaching and winning at GT.

I will bet $1,000 that no one since Curry has. And THAT is our problem. No one can define what GT ball is. And since WE don’t know, we rely on OTHERS who don’t know … to save us.

F that. It’s on GT to figure out how to compete. God knows we are smart enough.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just said in the post that you responded to that if we get left out of the next round of expansion, and we have the same financial issues then we should consider moving down to a level where we can compete financially. ACC media rights will be over by then. The ACC itself might be over by then. If we do nothing for the next 10 years except see how much money we can save, we will be in an awful position moving forward. Would you disagree with that?
Yes would disagree with that. Based on that we will have a lot of money to compete at the lower levels and kick butt. I would like all the fake student athlete schools to move on and have true college football. I liked when college basketball didn't have players that were only playing to be in NBA. Either way I'm an old fart, that will cheer on GT no matter what.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
For those of us old enough, this reminds me of Curry’s hiring: a Tech Man.

Who can’t get behind this? Go Jackets!
Funny, I thought the same thing this afternoon.
Goofy coach gets fired after not winning enough (Don't get me wrong, Pepper wasn't as goofy as Collins, but he was quirky)
Tech hires alum Oline guy with no head coaching experience (Key does have much more overall coaching than Curry as I recall it)
Let's hope it doesn't take Key three years to have a winning season

58stinger

Georgia Tech Fan
To me, Fritz is a strategic hire. He's not likely to turn us into a 9 win team overnight, but he can stop the bleeding, get us bowl eligible and trending upward. In 4-5 years we will be back to competitive with our peers and likely able to stay in the games with factories. He retires in 5-6 years and we are a much better job for the next coach.

Now, this is NOT how many here want this to play out, but if you take the long view, it's genius.

It's what we should have done when CPJ retired.
Also, maybe he could hire an up and coming OC that would be ready to be a HC when Fritz retires.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
And being an offensive line coach right before becoming the Tech head coach. i hope Key has less of a learning curve than Curry did.
I really hope you’re right. Curry is a great man and a good face for the Institute, but in the early years, once the game started, he seemed a bit lost.

slugboy

Staff member
I really hope you’re right. Curry is a great man and a good face for the Institute, but in the early years, once the game started, he seemed a bit lost.
Curry won 1 game in 1980, 1 in 1981, 6 in 1982, and 3 in 1983. Key already won 4 in a half-season. I’d say he’s already ahead of where Curry started. But that’s my opinion.

By the way, Sam Pittman (Arkansas) was ridiculed as a hire. He’s done OK.