HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am not comparing Long to BOB. I am comparing your being hyper critical of one to your being overly forgiving to the other.

The suggestion that BOB sucks as a head coach because he failed as a GM in the NFL is one of the interesting takes I have heard. I would be interested to hear if you can name one hall of fame caliber college head coach who was a successful NFL GM.

The suggestion he sucks as a head coach because he delivered the #2 and #15 offenses (which is better than Kiffins first two years) is also bit perplexing, but it is not worth arguing.
Huh? I never even mentioned BOB? I’ve been supportive of BOB throughout the process. What are you talking about? I was on your side here

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Context matters. BOB has a heisman winning QB who’s a top 3 pick, a top running back in Gibbs, a WR room filled with high 4 star and 5 star receivers, a offensive line filled with top recruits, reserves at each position that are former top recruits. I’m not comparing Long to BOB at all like you just did when you responded to me.
I am not comparing Long to BOB. I am comparing your being hyper critical of one to your being overly forgiving to the other.

The suggestion that BOB sucks as a head coach because he failed as a GM in the NFL is one of the interesting takes I have heard. I would be interested to hear if you can name one hall of fame caliber college head coach who was a successful NFL GM. Heck, name one moderately successful college head coach who was a successful NFL GM.

The suggestion he sucks as a head coach because he delivered the #2 and #15 offenses (which is better than Kiffins first two years) is also bit perplexing, but it is not worth arguing. I mean you are supportive of Key as a head coach. Yet, he has delivered one of the worst offensive lines in college football history. Again, the difference in how you are judging each is stark.

Last edited:

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

The suggestion that BOB sucks as a head coach because he failed as a GM in the NFL is one of the interesting takes I have heard. I would be interested to hear if you can name one hall of fame caliber college head coach who was a successful NFL GM. Heck, name one moderately successful college head coach who was a successful NFL GM.

The suggestion he sucks as a head coach because he delivered the #2 and #15 offenses (which is better than Kiffins first two years) is also bit perplexing, but it is not worth arguing.
Being an NFL GM is having to manage a roster, a college HC is also having to manage a roster with taking commitments, the portal, sending out offers, dropping commits, etc. Theres a similarity there since both require managing a roster.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Being an NFL GM is having to manage a roster, a college HC is also having to manage a roster with taking commitments, the portal, sending out offers, dropping commits, etc. Theres a similarity there since both require managing a roster.
Name one college football head coach who was a successful GM.

By the way BOB successfully managed a college football roster that lost 30 scholarship players in one year and ended up being the National Coach of the year. He has experience in the area of our need.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m glad players are rallying behind key to salvage the season. But I bet a lot of these players liked Collins too. So I don’t put much stock on who they want. And like someone else said. It’s easier to replace a player than a good head coach.

And the last 7 games have been a lot more enjoyable than the last 3+ years but that’s a really low bar to hurdle. Like you would have to dig a hole to barely clear that bar.

I like key as HC a lot more than any of the other speculative HCs other than chadwell.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Name one college football head coach who was a successful GM.

By the way BOB successfully managed a college football roster that lost 30 scholarship players in one year and ended up being the National Coach of the year. He has experience in the area of our need.
Is there any college football head coach who has been a nfl gm before? BOB was only at Penn state for 2 years but yes he had success there. There’s a reason why he’s going to get fired at bama and a reason for him never being an option for tech that made it far in the process.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there any college football head coach who has been a nfl gm before? BOB was only at Penn state for 2 years but yes he had success there. There’s a reason why he’s going to get fired at bama and a reason for him never being an option for tech that made it far in the process.
Exactly! Saban, Spurrier, and Meyer all failed as NFL head coaches. BOB did not. He failed as a NFL GM. You are holding him to a standard that no other coach in the history of college football has ever been held. How he managed the roster and team at PSU after the loss of ships and players is more relevant than any experience he had as an NFL GM.

Even if Bama fires him as OC, it still does not speak to his ability as a head coach.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! Saban, Spurrier, and Meyer all failed as NFL head coaches. BOB did not. He failed as a NFL GM. You are holding him to a standard that no other coach in the history of college football has ever been held. How he managed the roster and team at PSU after the loss of ships and players is more relevant than any experience he had as an NFL GM.

Even if Bama fires him as OC, it still does not speak to his ability as a head coach.
The problem is, his group told tech/the search firm that he wants to call plays, he’s going to be fired from his job that has him calling plays.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad players are rallying behind key to salvage the season. But I bet a lot of these players liked Collins too. So I don’t put much stock on who they want. And like someone else said. It’s easier to replace a player than a good head coach.

And the last 7 games have been a lot more enjoyable than the last 3+ years but that’s a really low bar to hurdle. Like you would have to dig a hole to barely clear that bar.

I like key as HC a lot more than any of the other speculative HCs other than chadwell.
Pitt and UNC were absolutely enjoyable. Duke and VPISU were moderately enjoyable as we won, but those games were maddeningly ugly. The other three games were putrid and no better than anything else in the last few seasons.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem is, his group told tech/the search firm that he wants to call plays, he’s going to be fired from his job that has him calling plays.
Ok, but that is very different than saying he clearly sucks as a college football head coach because he failed as an NFL GM and because Saban thinks he is too conservative.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Multiple players and families are now wanting Brent as HC. Honestly, while I don’t think it would happen, I wouldn’t be mad? I think he’s shown what he can do with what we have (so far). If he got his own staff and worked with the players as HC year round I could see an annual bowl team forming with him at the core.

I think it’s a long shot for key to win the position. But, he has the hearts and admiration of his players, which is more than some non-interim coaches can say.