Haywood transferring

slugboy

Staff member
This is why I don't like the "get old stay old" concept, it sounds good in theory, but not in reality because things happen outside of the staff's control.
Until something changes, todays college basketball landscape is recruit-reload-recruit-reload, etc.
I think if/when the NBA changes their rule to allow 18 yo's into the league the players choice should come down to a minimum of a 2-year commitment.
If the player decides to go the college route his commitment is for 2-years, after 2-years he gets to decide again for another 2-year commitment to staying in college or turning pro.
This would cure the one and dones but also give the player an out after two years ...

I haven't compared how Mike Brey or Tony Bennett run their teams, but I would think a get old-stay old strategy would also run a deep bench and get experience across all your developing players. You have a methodical system, you run it month in and month out, year in and year out, and by the time your players are juniors you've built them up in the system.
We've swapped out offenses and coaches. Get old-stay old needs continuity.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish most that Haywood has an injury-free season. He always seemed hobbled to me. He did add sneaky stats, but for this team, at this time, I think it’s best for both sides. I do think he’ll do better with a fresh start, maybe even get a year to fully recover, reset and likely find his groove. We need that position to either be 45% from 3, or have enough hop and drive mixed in his game to force defensive rotations. Curt could get occasionally streaky, but more disheartening to see his body language so down when shots were not dropping - which happened often this season. I think we’ll fill spot with a player that brings more importance to our team, and hopefully as much of overall good character that Curt showed.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I haven't compared how Mike Brey or Tony Bennett run their teams, but I would think a get old-stay old strategy would also run a deep bench and get experience across all your developing players. You have a methodical system, you run it month in and month out, year in and year out, and by the time your players are juniors you've built them up in the system.
We've swapped out offenses and coaches. Get old-stay old needs continuity.

Bottom line for me, with 3 maybe 4 schollies open it's time for Pastner to show up and bring in some talent !

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish most that Haywood has an injury-free season. He always seemed hobbled to me. He did add sneaky stats, but for this team, at this time, I think it’s best for both sides. I do think he’ll do better with a fresh start, maybe even get a year to fully recover, reset and likely find his groove. We need that position to either be 45% from 3, or have enough hop and drive mixed in his game to force defensive rotations. Curt could get occasionally streaky, but more disheartening to see his body language so down when shots were not dropping - which happened often this season. I think we’ll fill spot with a player that brings more importance to our team, and hopefully as much of overall good character that Curt showed.
45% from 3? You realize there were only 9 players in the entire country at that percentage or higher right?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, this thread does not show up in my view of the Basketball forum. Here is what I see. Anyone know why?

upload_2019-3-28_14-52-12.png

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I sort of see this as trading Haywood's scholly for Usher's. Both would be JR this upcoming season and their experience is not that far off.
At the time of his transfer Usher had played 799 min at USC including 265 in conference. Haywood through 2 seasons played 994 min with 478 conference min.
Curtis was a 2/3 while Usher is more a 3/4.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Are you going to pay him?
Well the AD just proved he was smart enough to fire CMJ from the womens team, I am sure if the AD really wanted to Fire CJP without paying him he could, after all the Ron Bell stuff...He brought that baggage to Georgia Tech.. I bet an indepenedent investigation would find tha Ron Bell has done worse for his old Buddy and that CJP even was all in on it... The problem is somebody..maybe the AD thinks this guy can recruit and coach....which how many more years of this do we need to agree that CJP needs to go...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well the AD just proved he was smart enough to fire CMJ from the womens team, I am sure if the AD really wanted to Fire CJP without paying him he could, after all the Ron Bell stuff...He brought that baggage to Georgia Tech.. I bet an indepenedent investigation would find tha Ron Bell has done worse for his old Buddy and that CJP even was all in on it... The problem is somebody..maybe the AD thinks this guy can recruit and coach....which how many more years of this do we need to agree that CJP needs to go...

You are wrong.

And the wbb and mbb situations are in no way similar.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Both GT and the NCAA have investigated this and cleared Pastner of any knowledge, that is why he is still here.
if you want to get rid of him, you have to pay him - it's pretty simple.
If they had found otherwise they could have fired him and not payed a dime, but that isn't what happened. We can't simply ignore the facts.