Haywood transferring

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is a direct result of Pastner's questionable substitution patterns. Curt struggled this season but it seemed like Josh had a quick hook with him at times and then you wouldnt see him the rest of the game i.e. hit a triple right before the half of the Duke game and then we dont see him for about 6-7 minutes into the second half. WHAAAAAAT?

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
This is too bad. I think he'll be successful somewhere.

Given consistent minutes off the bench he could have contributed here.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a direct result of Pastner's questionable substitution patterns. Curt struggled this season but it seemed like Josh had a quick hook with him at times and then you wouldnt see him the rest of the game i.e. hit a triple right before the half of the Duke game and then we dont see him for about 6-7 minutes into the second half. WHAAAAAAT?

I won't disagree that the substituion patters were hard to follow at time, but it is kinda hard to stick it on Pastner. I was always a Haywood fan and appreciate his efforts, but I was never sold that he could develop into a consistent contributor.

There's one easy way to stay on the court...Knock down shots consistently and play D. He went 0-100 over a 6-7 game stretch, you leave the staff little choice.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I won't disagree that the substituion patters were hard to follow at time, but it is kinda hard to stick it on Pastner.

There's one easy way to stay on the court...Knock down shots consistently and play D. He went 0-100 over a 6-7 game stretch, you leave the staff little choice.

While I agree with you, we were also 340th in the nation in triples made. The kid rebounds, plays D and puts up assist numbers. He was a player I really liked.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I agree with you, we were also 340th in the nation in triples made. The kid rebounds, plays D and puts up assist numbers. He was a player I really liked.

Won't disagree, he did provide us with a lot of intangibles, and he always played hard. I do think that it is a setback.

That said, he seemed like a better fit as a complementary player, and we needed him to be a primary contributor.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Won't disagree, he did provide us with a lot of intangibles, and he always played hard. I do think that it is a setback.

That said, he seemed like a better fit as a complementary player, and we needed him to be a primary contributor.

I’d agree with that second part whole heartedly

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I don't know. I think he was gonna be a great role player for us. Swiss army knife type.

slugboy

Staff member
I think if you get most of your way through your Sophomore year, you're officially an alum. No matter where he ends up, he'll still be one of us.
Other people will say basketball stuff better than I will.
Possibly next year's backcourt is mainly Alvarado+Devoe+Usher in rotation. Haywood seemed coachable, and I'd like to see someone coach up our guards.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Losing Haywood is not helpful, for sure. It's unlikely our 13th man next year will be better than he would have been. We dedicated 2 years to his development - "get old" - without reaping the "stay old" half of the equation.

With that said, I'm not sure Curt's trajectory was even a mid-level ACC 2G. He could make it there, but it feels far from guaranteed. This is not sour grapes, just my line of thinking watching him throughout the year, and not something I felt worth sharing at the time. Curt reminds me more of a throwback, spot-up shooter, and the game has progressed to the 2G being a slasher/creator as well. Or at the very least, someone who can get their own shot when they want to. Watching Curt throughout the year, I thought he was pretty stiff with the ball in his hands. Relative to our roster, he looked capable, but ultimately I didn't expect him to turn into a game-changer.

I wish him well though. Getting Curt's commitment was big for us at the time because our staff didn't have much of a track record, and he could have held out for another P5.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed that it's better for both sides. His reputation was a 3 point shooter, but he missed many attempts, some were airballs. Kinda like a golfer who loses his putting touch.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll take a spot up shooting 2G as long as he is a maker and not just a shooter (little Royism there :) )

Not surprised we are having transfers. This roster construction and usage is weird to begin with - so something was going to give. This kicks the door wide open for Sjolund to be the shooter on the wing as I don't think Moore or Usher are really sharpshooter types.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up