Haywood transferring

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
upload_2019-3-27_18-14-28.gif

So now it is just @CurtGone?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't disagree that the substituion patters were hard to follow at time, but it is kinda hard to stick it on Pastner. I was always a Haywood fan and appreciate his efforts, but I was never sold that he could develop into a consistent contributor.

There's one easy way to stay on the court...Knock down shots consistently and play D. He went 0-100 over a 6-7 game stretch, you leave the staff little choice.
Pastner stuck it on Pastnet when he did his post season interview. He admitted his failure to get a set rotation hurt the team. Best of luck to Curt.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The classic get old, get gone philosophy is working out well. I still think he was the most talented player on our team just couldn't get the shots to fall but I blame that on CPJ. Normally you give a short leash to shooters that are liabilities everywhere else, not to one of your best passers, perimeter defenders, and rebounders.

I wanted CG(B) on the floor even when he was missing shots. You use that to your advantage to build his confidence in his shot. I don't see how this is at all best for both parties. We don't have recruits lined up to even take the open ships we have. Probably is the best move for him though. I think he fell victim to some downright ****ty coaching on our part.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The classic get old, get gone philosophy is working out well. I still think he was the most talented player on our team just couldn't get the shots to fall but I blame that on CPJ. Normally you give a short leash to shooters that are liabilities everywhere else, not to one of your best passers, perimeter defenders, and rebounders.

I wanted CG(B) on the floor even when he was missing shots. You use that to your advantage to build his confidence in his shot. I don't see how this is at all best for both parties. We don't have recruits lined up to even take the open ships we have. Probably is the best move for him though. I think he fell victim to some downright ****ty coaching on our part.

First sentence of the second part: 100%

Even with the drought I thought a three by him was a better shot from deep than from anyone else save Devoe

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Article says, even with usher (who sits out til Jan) we still have 4 open spots ?! How is it even possible that we can’t even fill out a team? I get it, we need a scholly available for some
2020 stud, but don’t tell me 4 open scholarships is the plan.
[emoji2959]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Article says, even with usher (who sits out til Jan) we still have 4 open spots ?! How is it even possible that we can’t even fill out a team? I get it, we need a scholly available for some
2020 stud, but don’t tell me 4 open scholarships is the plan.
emoji2959.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 if you don’t include Didenko, 3 if you do.

1 banks
2 wright
3 cole
4 Jose
5 Devoe
6 Moore
7 slound
8 Phillips(is he going to return??)
9 usher

10 (didenko?)

I’m wondering if Shembari sticks around. If he doesn’t then you’re at 4/5 ships.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Curt was not more talented than Jose or Devoe even with his shot falling. He got 22 mpg and averaged 4 3 point attempts a game. He had ample opportunity to get his shot going and couldn't. That wasn't a short leash and it's silly to blame his poor shot on the rotations when the rotation problem sprung up as a result of trying to get more production out of his position because he wasn't hitting the looks generated for him. He was a good defender and decent passer, but he was not one of our better rebounders considering he was 6-6 and rebounded at a rate comparable to our point guard. The issue is that with Jose and Devoe we weren't in need of another passer. We needed someone to pass to and he wasn't filling that role.

It sucks to lose him because we almost certainly won't back fill the spot this year. However it is certainly a case of losing potential more than losing production.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'll miss him and think he would've helped the team next year. Best of luck, CGB

If Didenko doesn't show up and Shembari leaves too, we have a pretty serious depth issue. 8 scholarship players.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think there is an opportunity to replace a more promising piece on the team. This may be a positive thing for both parties

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll miss him and think he would've helped the team next year. Best of luck, CGB

If Didenko doesn't show up and Shembari leaves too, we have a pretty serious depth issue. 8 scholarship players.
Even if Didenko does show up based on his stats he's not going to play anyway.

It would've been nice to have CGB back but now I just hope that he finds a good spot for himself and that Tech can use the scholarship to get someone who is a viable piece

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
It would've been nice to have CGB back but now I just hope that he finds a good spot for himself and that Tech can use the scholarship to get someone who is a viable piece

It would be nice to get contributing transfer in the mold of Brandon Alston, a grad transfer that has two years remaining can can play immediately. At least then CJP could keep balance with his recruiting classes.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I liked him but the fact is that he couldn't hit his shots when he got his chances. It got in his head, much like a golfer getting the putting/chipping yips. Can't blame CJP for not setting rotation early because players did not develop until late in the season when Moses and Moore stepped their games up. CJP was searching all season for the right combo and trying to win at the same time. I think a change in scenery will be good for Haywood and wish him all the best.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While Curt was a fav of mine for all the things he did that fans don't notice, this does help balance the classes some and gives us an extra scholly to play with.
He was the best half court passer on the team.

Let's go with the scenario that Didenko does show up this fall. That would still leave the staff with 3 schollies for this spring. I'm thinking probably 1 HS and a couple of grad transfers.
I'm starting to feel we will have 4 to use in 2020.

Given some of the visits we have coming up over the next couple of weeks this may work out for the better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We are getting to the point we won't have enough practice players to run a decent scrimmage.
Haywood is a player that with time in the gym during the off season could get his shot back. I am sorry to see him go.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This is why I don't like the "get old stay old" concept, it sounds good in theory, but not in reality because things happen outside of the staff's control.
Until something changes, todays college basketball landscape is recruit-reload-recruit-reload, etc.
I think if/when the NBA changes their rule to allow 18 yo's into the league the players choice should come down to a minimum of a 2-year commitment.
If the player decides to go the college route his commitment is for 2-years, after 2-years he gets to decide again for another 2-year commitment to staying in college or turning pro.
This would cure the one and dones but also give the player an out after two years ...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Right now we don’t appear to have a line at the door. Another empty seat is not a good thing particularly when it involves someone that can play albeit at a level some are dissatisfied with.

If we’re able to trade up here, I’ll eat this post.