Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

Jolly Good Fellow
We know where your heart lies and your opinion certainly carries a lot of weight. WTBS, I don't think anyone of reason has referred to them (OL) as incompetent loafers. In fact, I think the overwhelming majority of posters have both noted the marked progress of the unit this season and acknowledged the consistent effort of the entire team under Key's watch. The occasional disgruntled idiots are not worthy of your time. But your comments on the coaching and adjustments are worth further discussion. What adjustments can be made to help the typical Ol when faced with a DL of blue chip recruits and possible NFL careers in their future?
Do I have an opinion on how to protect guys who are doing the absolute-best-that-they-can-do-but-are-over-matched-physically?
Why, Yes...Yes I do.....
CFB QBs do not "check-down" past 2nd option.... Not Haynes, not Jeff Sims...not LSU Joe Burrow...watch the eyes of every QB D-I, II or III..on any team...in 2020's, it is primary, secondary, throw-it-away....so....let's keep a back (or 2, preferably) inside (plus a TE) to chip DL and blitzers.... after our OL stands them up initially.... then QB looks for 1st option, then 2nd option, then pulls it down and scrambles....

Jolly Good Fellow
No one called our OLine “incompetent loafers”. Those are your words. But they are clearly the weakest link on the team. They are fine for a .500 team. I hope Key wants to be better than .500 at some point.
"20 year-olds doing the best that they can do"...Those are my words...but thanks for playing along

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do I have an opinion on how to protect guys who are doing the absolute-best-that-they-can-do-but-are-over-matched-physically?
Why, Yes...Yes I do.....
CFB QBs do not "check-down" past 2nd option.... Not Haynes, not Jeff Sims...not LSU Joe Burrow...watch the eyes of every QB D-I, II or III..on any team...in 2020's, it is primary, secondary, throw-it-away....so....let's keep a back (or 2, preferably) inside (plus a TE) to chip DL and blitzers.... after our OL stands them up initially.... then QB looks for 1st option, then 2nd option, then pulls it down and scrambles....

College FB coaches are human and thus prone to making mistakes. Why do you think our coaches did not follow your suggestions? Possible answers might be, but are not limited to, they underestimated Clemson's DL when watching film, they perhaps overestimated the talents of our players, they froze under fire, their was differing opinions amongst the staff as to what would work/what would not work, etc.

Only a small number of us (2 -3 or 4) here played at this level as you did. But most of us were in leadership positions along the way and the case study of dissecting coaching decisons is fascinating to me. I have made many more important decisons than either Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart have ever made at the end of the day...but I have never had to make thousands of them within seconds during a 3-1/2 hour time frame in real time like they have so their decision making process is both fascinating and a mystery to me. I'll hang up and listen.

Jolly Good Fellow
You have clearly not read my post(s) before replying. Those are NOT my words.

College FB coaches are human and thus prone to making mistakes. Why do you think our coaches did not follow your suggestions? Possible answers might be, but are not limited to, they underestimated Clemson's DL when watching film, they perhaps overestimated the talents of our players, they froze under fire, their was differing opinions amongst the staff as to what would work/what would not work, etc.

Only a small number of us (2 -3 or 4) here played at this level as you did. But most of us were in leadership positions along the way and the case study of dissecting coaching decisons is fascinating to me. I have made many more important decisons than either Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart have ever made at the end of the day...but I have never had to make thousands of them within seconds during a 3-1/2 hour time frame in real time like they have so their decision making process is both fascinating and a mystery to me. I'll hang up and listen.
4SB....when I found The Swarm 3 years ago, I made clear that I did not believe the fact that I played for Tech back when dinosaurs roamed the earth in any way qualifed me as an expert on the modern game...I became a "fan" in 1977,a season tix holder from 78-98, and always a lover of all things GT.
But, since you asked, I do offer the following observations....
1) college FB coaches are not, in my experience, particularly smart.... "Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart" could not work the check-out widow at Wendy's...
2) But..."Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart" are good FB guys....OK, jury still out on Brent being good...again, "BUT".....Dabo and Nick and Kirby get 5* after 5*.....they are always going to beat us one-on-one...at OL...at WR...at good-looking cheerleaders...everything...
3) So, we better game-plan better...seems like plan-and-design is something Tech guys might to better than Dawg-grads...
4) Head coaches make 6-8 decisions per game...use my TOs, go for it on 4th down, or kick/punt...that's it....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
4) Head coaches make 6-8 decisions per game...use my TOs, go for it on 4th down, or kick/punt...that's it....
us geeks, nerds and idiots who did not make it past junior HS, freshmen, JV or varsity HS football have been lead to believe that this is 4-d chess played out in real time with back and forth adjustments made throughout the duration of the game. A matchup of both brain and brawn. Are you coming in here to try and tell us how the suasage is really made? ;)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
4SB....when I found The Swarm 3 years ago, I made clear that I did not believe the fact that I played for Tech back when dinosaurs roamed the earth in any way qualifed me as an expert on the modern game...I became a "fan" in 1977,a season tix holder from 78-98, and always a lover of all things GT.
But, since you asked, I do offer the following observations....
1) college FB coaches are not, in my experience, particularly smart.... "Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart" could not work the check-out widow at Wendy's...
2) But..."Key or Dabo or Saban or Smart" are good FB guys....OK, jury still out on Brent being good...again, "BUT".....Dabo and Nick and Kirby get 5* after 5*.....they are always going to beat us one-on-one...at OL...at WR...at good-looking cheerleaders...everything...
3) So, we better game-plan better...seems like plan-and-design is something Tech guys might to better than Dawg-grads...
There is a talent differential GT cannot overcome against some teams. The OL getting "pushed around" (not your words) is simply unfair to the players giving a ton of their time and effort, not to mention their well developed talent, to playing a game we love to watch. If you played at GT, thanks for all you gave to that endeavor. I probably watched you play. But I don't like hearing that our coaches and players are not smart enough to clerk the check-out window at Wendy's. That is not only mean spirited, it's dead wrong. And, I know some college students woking those windows to pay for their education.

Last edited:

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, our coaching staff is a total cookie cutter staff for the current trend of the day. Our playbook is what you get when you google “Basic college offense for the early 2020’s”. We now run the UGA-lite offense with 3-4 stars. I love all the pre-snap motion that doesn’t confuse anyone but our own players half the time. When you go shotgun on every play regardless of the down, distance, and score you know you are just collecting a paycheck. Does Key not understand this is his one shot, while Faulkner will have job after job? I know Key remembers the Friedgen and O’Leary offenses when we went from multiple sets in both the gun and under center. Have we done one reverse or one pitch all year? We have 2 special speedsters in Rutherford and Singleton and we don’t get them in space at all.

But the reality is no offense will work with an offensive line that gets shoved around. Have we gotten in one fight or gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty by an OLinemen who just has had enough all year? We just took a major butt kicking on national TV and we just stood there and took it. The only dude I saw who played like he was pissed was #44 Efford. Give me 11 of those dudes and you’ll have a team who won’t just lay down.
You're 100% correct. Mike Leach who did exactly what you described was just collecting a paycheck. As a matter of fact all the shotgun spread coaches who dont go under center are just collecting paychecks right? One of this boards favorite candidates in Jamey Chadwell almost never goes under center. My question is what expertise do you have calling an offense or creating a scheme, because you sure make it seem like you could call a better offense than Faulkner or Key.

As for the penalty and pissed off aspect, people consistently complain about penalties and yet you are wanting more unnecessary penalties cause it somewhat exudes toughness? I really think you are stuck in an extremely old fashioned mindset about how games are won in college football which is easy to do when sitting at home watching the game.

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a talent differential GT cannot overcome against some teams. The OL getting "pushed around" (not your words) is simply unfair to the players giving a ton of their time and effort, not to mention their well developed talent, to playing a game we love to watch. If you played at GT, thanks for all you gave to that endeavor. I probably watched you play. But I don't like hearing that our coaches and players are not smart enough clerk the check-out window at Wendy's. That is not only mean spirited, it's dead wrong. And, I know some college students woking those windows to pay for their education.
LOL
"Exaggeration for the purpose of illustration" is a rhetorical technique that inevitably opens oneself to ridicule from the literal among us.....
Your point is well made and I apologize......
My point was that, as we will never get talent to compete physically one-on-one, we better plan better.....
" I probably watched you play." ...well then, I'm sure you were bitching about me too, back in the day....!!!!!

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Why, Yes...Yes I do.....
Its not about given the QB more options, its about giving the defense more to defend. If you only have 3 receivers running routes every play, the defense will have an easier time defending the pass and taking away those options as opposed to having 4 receivers on the play. Adding one route can occupy a defender and help get other players open. It's more about getting the ball out of the QBs hands quicker which can be done in a variety of ways including having receivers attack space on option routes and the like.

Jolly Good Fellow
Over the years I have frequently lamented our lack of talent. Or depth. Or coaches decisions. But having been a college athlete myself, I don't believe I have never "bitched" about our players. You included.
Well, Thanks for that!
OTOH, you'd have been completely justified bitching about me about half the time... if we only judge by results.... but I was doing the best I could on every play...which is why I hate-hate-hate criticizing college players, in general, offensive linemen in particular...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m never going to be too mad at late desperation ints when the game needs a miracle. Trying too hard there beats quitting.

But with some extra seasoning hopefully some of that can be avoided - better to punt and pray and try for the miracle next series than to throw a pick six.
Yes. Why cut this one to shreds? We got whipped and HK tossed some unadvised passes trying to make something happen.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure we've been passed, but when Mark Ingram won it at Alabama, GT began the winningest program without a Heisman winner. Go get it King!

slugboy

Staff member
Week 12 DETMER leaders (again it’s a “what, triple coverage on a deep pass? Yeah, I’ll try it!” QB stat)

Credit to Sickos Committee

IMG_2427.jpeg