Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He is a great representative of Key’s culture. Last player off the field Saturday after an appreciation round of high fives with the fans that made the trip.
King was a big time QB recruit for A&M. He was rated a top 10 QB in the country and a top 20 player from the state of Texas. Lots of people there expected him to be their QB of the future and to help A&M reestablish themselves as a dominant program. When he and A&M struggled early in his career I’m sure he took a ton of heat there. I don’t know anything about Jimbo personally, but I can imagine he’s not a very pleasant guy to be around, especially when things aren’t going well. Haynes probably felt like he was in a situation where he didn’t fit in and couldn’t do anything right.

It seems like since he’s been at Tech he’s really embraced our culture and our traditions. It helps that he seems to have a great relationship with Key, who might love Georgia Tech more than anybody. Key seems like she’s really trying to install the history of GT’s culture into our players, and Haynes King has fully bought in. I’m happy for everyone involved. I hope Haynes gives us 2 more seasons of what might end up being elite QB play en route to becoming one of Georgia Tech’s all-time greats. Along with winning some championships along the way (state, conference, bowl game, and national)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
King was a big time QB recruit for A&M. He was rated a top 10 QB in the country and a top 20 player from the state of Texas. Lots of people there expected him to be their QB of the future and to help A&M reestablish themselves as a dominant program. When he and A&M struggled early in his career I’m sure he took a ton of heat there. I don’t know anything about Jimbo personally, but I can imagine he’s not a very pleasant guy to be around, especially when things aren’t going well. Haynes probably felt like he was in a situation where he didn’t fit in and couldn’t do anything right.

It seems like since he’s been at Tech he’s really embraced our culture and our traditions. It helps that he seems to have a great relationship with Key, who might love Georgia Tech more than anybody. Key seems like she’s really trying to install the history of GT’s culture into our players, and Haynes King has fully bought in. I’m happy for everyone involved. I hope Haynes gives us 2 more seasons of what might end up being elite QB play en route to becoming one of Georgia Tech’s all-time greats. Along with winning some championships along the way (state, conference, bowl game, and national)
Key and King reminded me a little of what Bill Curry has shared in the past about Bobby Dodd talking about “Tech men.”

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Key always puts the best interest of his players in first place and is not afraid to practice tough love when needed. Reminds me of Bobby Dodd. Dodd would tell a recruit's mom: Send me your nice boy for 4 years and I will send you back a better man.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I hope Haynes gives us 2 more seasons of what might end up being elite QB play en route to becoming one of Georgia Tech’s all-time greats. Along with winning some championships along the way (state, conference, bowl game, and national)
TBH I think King goes to the NFL after next season if he keeps performing like he has or improves. He's a smart guy, he should have his A&M and Tech degrees by then.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
TBH I think King goes to the NFL after next season if he keeps performing like he has or improves. He's a smart guy, he should have his A&M and Tech degrees by then.
Looking at his throwing motion King needs a lot of clean up work to have a chance in the NFL. He has a very long wind up which is problematic in the NFL. Currently he would likely get signed by someone as a free agent without any guaranteed money. He likely will be at GT 2 more years. Winkie has helped him a great deal so far.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looking at his throwing motion King needs a lot of clean up work to have a chance in the NFL. He has a very long wind up which is problematic in the NFL. Currently he would likely get signed by someone as a free agent without any guaranteed money. He likely will be at GT 2 more years. Winkie has helped him a great deal so far.

Weinke use to be an NFL QB, was an NFL QB coach for a coulple of years, and famously tutored Cam Newton before he was drafted #1 overall.

I think Weinke will have discussions with King about what he needs to clean up for the next level. If you look at what King looked like at A&M and now, there's a big difference. King has often said how much of his mechanics Weinke cleaned up. To your point, there's still room for improvement...and I expect we'll see that during the offseason. King has a real shot of being drafted by an NFL team if he continues this trajectory.

On a side note, you have to LOVE the fact that Weinke is our QB coach. The kids that do their research, which is pretty much every high level QB recruit, will want to play for this guy. We already have two high level QBs committed to us.

People are discussing how much NIL money we'll need to keep some of our players, but the other thing is we'll probably need to some money to keep coaches like Weinke.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think he would need to be projected as at least a 2nd day pick in the draft next year to leave early. Which for Tech’s sake I hope he is, but he still needs to get a lot better this off-season to put him on that track. Also, if we win 8-9 games next year with a schedule that includes FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, and Georgia, he may stick around regardless as Tech could have a chance to do something really special in 2025.

King is 19th in the country in total QBR. By eligibility he is a sophomore. Ahead of him are 5 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman. Going into next year’s draft all 5 seniors will be out of the picture, and presumably at least a couple of the juniors will declare for the draft this year (Maye and Williams). Right now that would put King at 12th on the QB board for next year’s draft, which I don’t think would be high enough for him to concede his last year of eligibility. Also keep in mind King is ahead of players like Shadeur Sanders, Drew Allar, and Riley Leonard in QBR who will also rise on draft boards next year.

Like I said, I hope King plays well enough next season to get 1st round consideration, because that would mean Tech probably had a hell of a year. But the odds he makes that big of a jump in one off-season are pretty slim IMO. There’s also the possibility that King just doesn’t want a 6th college football season and will decide he’s not coming back for 2025 regardless. Only time will tell

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Really good read

Finally given a mechanical quarterback education and nudged in the right direction, King is no longer a thrower in Christensen’s eyes. He’s a passer, and Christensen expects him to only get better.

“What excites me is when you get to work with somebody who is made right, and he’s made right,” Christensen said. “His upside is unbelievable. We’re just getting started.”
Just as importantly, all three coaches assured him that he’d get the one thing he asked for — a chance to compete.

“That’s all he wanted,” John said. “No depth chart discussion. No money or NIL. None of the bulls--t you hear in today’s world. He went and did it. He took a chance on himself, and he won the job.”

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Weinke use to be an NFL QB, was an NFL QB coach for a coulple of years, and famously tutored Cam Newton before he was drafted #1 overall.

I think Weinke will have discussions with King about what he needs to clean up for the next level. If you look at what King looked like at A&M and now, there's a big difference. King has often said how much of his mechanics Weinke cleaned up. To your point, there's still room for improvement...and I expect we'll see that during the offseason. King has a real shot of being drafted by an NFL team if he continues this trajectory.

On a side note, you have to LOVE the fact that Weinke is our QB coach. The kids that do their research, which is pretty much every high level QB recruit, will want to play for this guy. We already have two high level QBs committed to us.

People are discussing how much NIL money we'll need to keep some of our players, but the other thing is we'll probably need to some money to keep coaches like Weinke.
yes I worry about both our OC and QB coaches. Our dramatic offense improvement year over year will be noted by other program to potentially poach.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he would need to be projected as at least a 2nd day pick in the draft next year to leave early. Which for Tech’s sake I hope he is, but he still needs to get a lot better this off-season to put him on that track. Also, if we win 8-9 games next year with a schedule that includes FSU, Notre Dame, Miami, Louisville, and Georgia, he may stick around regardless as Tech could have a chance to do something really special in 2025.

King is 19th in the country in total QBR. By eligibility he is a sophomore. Ahead of him are 5 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman. Going into next year’s draft all 5 seniors will be out of the picture, and presumably at least a couple of the juniors will declare for the draft this year (Maye and Williams). Right now that would put King at 12th on the QB board for next year’s draft, which I don’t think would be high enough for him to concede his last year of eligibility. Also keep in mind King is ahead of players like Shadeur Sanders, Drew Allar, and Riley Leonard in QBR who will also rise on draft boards next year.

Like I said, I hope King plays well enough next season to get 1st round consideration, because that would mean Tech probably had a hell of a year. But the odds he makes that big of a jump in one off-season are pretty slim IMO. There’s also the possibility that King just doesn’t want a 6th college football season and will decide he’s not coming back for 2025 regardless. Only time will tell
Playing as a sophomore, Haynes is 22, will turn 23 in January. Most guys have graduated by now.

While he won't be able to play as old as his QB coach did, he will almost be as old as Bennett was when he left UGA.

But unlike Bennett, he already has one degree and will probably have another by then. He does seem to have time management under control.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed...I love having the problem of 'poachable" coaching staff. It's better than the previous issue we had with our staff.
Yea. Faulkner will leave when King leaves; and that’s OK. Successful coordinators is a great thing.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
All three of those have something in common. They played ball here at Tech. Buster Faulkner, Geep Wade, even Kevin Sherrer to a lesser extent are all doing well without have previous ties to the program

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What do you think about the prior coach’s selection of Key, Choice and Coleman? Heck even Key chose Thacker again.

I’ll hang up and listen. 😉
Great (and fair) question. Perhaps he knew good coaching when he saw it but wasn't smart enough to get out of their way? I say it's very plausible bc I saw it a time or two back when I was trading my time for money. In fact, I worked for a guy similar. Because I am a small and petty person, I take great pride in the fact I was promoted into his position while he was demoted into mine. Then I fired his ***. walked out by security with a box full of his peronal items with promises of shipping the rest. Which I did. I know I should hate myself for enjoying this. But I don't. I am hoping for forgiveness and grace when all final accounts are settled one day.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
All three of those have something in common. They played ball here at Tech. Buster Faulkner, Geep Wade, even Kevin Sherrer to a lesser extent are all doing well without have previous ties to the program
Do you think we upgraded at OL coach?

(FYI I’m just having fun. Not trying to incite a riot.)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we upgraded at OL coach?

(FYI I’m just having fun. Not trying to incite a riot.)
IMG_7564.gif