Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I don't believe in it at all. At least, not enough to trust it.
I've seen too many games where a team got up early and easy, usually against a foe they were expected to handle easily, then relax, and it was all downhill from there.
A big early lead sometimes seems to be the worst thing that can happen to a college football team.
It’s not a guarantee but to not believe in it is foolish. It’s not like it’s a physical thing, but “momentum” creates belief in some and doubt in others. When people believe in themselves they can do incredible things. When people doubt themselves they can make easy things look hard. In that game I believe we saw a bit of both.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If soph qb King had one incompletion on last drive, we would have lost ar Mia.
As it was, he was defintuon of clutch.
It’s funny how razor thing these definitions are. He nearly threw a pick on the second pass - but he didn’t.

He’s played two tough games back to back after looking good behind a serviceable o line. I wonder how much Jordan Williams being absence is playing into the recent struggles. Bye week after a big win is just what we need right now. Get focused and take care of BC and that sets up a huge game with Carolina the week after.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If soph qb King had one incompletion on last drive, we would have lost ar Mia.
As it was, he was defintuon of clutch.
... just for full disclosure he had two incomplete passes on the final
drive.
His first pass after the turnover was any completion.
His second pass was complete to Rutherford.

The third pass, the spike was incomplete.
The fourth pass, well we know how that ended up 🙂.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
drive.
His first pass after the turnover was any completion.

It’s funny thing… when King was hurried just to send that first pass skipping across the turf behind a receiver I felt SOOOO deflated. That was it… the end. Three plays later I forgot it had even happened.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s funny thing… when King was hurried just to send that first pass skipping across the turf behind a receiver I felt SOOOO deflated. That was it… the end. Three plays later I forgot it had even happened.
I believe that first pass was thrown away intentionally. If he completes it and the receiver is tackled in the field of play, the clock ticks away our chances. He was not in a good position to get out of bounds.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I believe that first pass was thrown away intentionally. If he completes it and the receiver is tackled in the field of play, the clock ticks away our chances. He was not in a good position to get out of bounds.
Agree… but I think it was much simpler than that. Miami blew up the left side and he just threw it at the receivers feet to get it gone. It was 100% the right decision, but just not the way I wanted that drive to start

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a guarantee but to not believe in it is foolish. It’s not like it’s a physical thing, but “momentum” creates belief in some and doubt in others. When people believe in themselves they can do incredible things. When people doubt themselves they can make easy things look hard. In that game I believe we saw a bit of both.
That kind of momentum I can see. I just think the term is overused.
A team is often said to have "momentum", but then poof, it disappears. Where did it go?

Last edited:

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Haynes King is a great talent and has all the tools to be a Top ACC QB but currently he does need more help for sure to take pressure off the passing game to do EVERYTHING. The running attack has to get better in the bye week it don't have to be dominant but you got to get to the point where is semi-productive and respectable. Jamal Haynes is great tool and weapon but not the type of running back you want to hand ball off too 20 times a game and not the type that's gonna get tough yards when line is stacked. Cooley is too indecisive at times instead of just hitting a hole and driving forward we will really need D. Smith or Felix/Evan to get in there and pick it up and a little more push from the O-line. Defense's currently seem to basically figured out right now don't respect play-action/roll-outs because they don't respect the run stay back and cut off alot of King ability's to drive balls deep into intermediate and deep routes. They are forcing King to work in middle of field and continue to throw thru thick traffic which limits our WRs who have some talent in YAC and also force greater turnover chances.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree… but I think it was much simpler than that. Miami blew up the left side and he just threw it at the receivers feet to get it gone. It was 100% the right decision, but just not the way I wanted that drive to start
The only way to know for sure is to hear it from the horse's mouth. I wonder if any of our illustrious sports reporters will think to ask Haynes that question (I doubt it).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Haynes King is a great talent and has all the tools to be a Top ACC QB but currently he does need more help for sure to take pressure off the passing game to do EVERYTHING. The running attack has to get better in the bye week it don't have to be dominant but you got to get to the point where is semi-productive and respectable. Jamal Haynes is great tool and weapon but not the type of running back you want to hand ball off too 20 times a game and not the type that's gonna get tough yards when line is stacked. Cooley is too indecisive at times instead of just hitting a hole and driving forward we will really need D. Smith or Felix/Evan to get in there and pick it up and a little more push from the O-line. Defense's currently seem to basically figured out right now don't respect play-action/roll-outs because they don't respect the run stay back and cut off alot of King ability's to drive balls deep into intermediate and deep routes. They are forcing King to work in middle of field and continue to throw thru thick traffic which limits our WRs who have some talent in YAC and also force greater turnover chances.
It's an ongoing mystery why Dontae hasn't played more. Maybe he's hurt, but some games he's appeared in but only for a few plays. I always want to see that guy in the backfield, though.
Maybe we're saving him for Ugag, rested, and ready.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That kind of momentum I can see. I just think the term is overused.
A team is often said to have "momentum", but then poof, it stops. Where did it go?
Just my feeling about momentum but….

Scoring easily or running over an inferior opponent doesn’t produce momentum. Momentum comes when you’ve been fighting and struggling and then have a sudden “breakthrough moment.” Confidence builds and success comes more easily after that. That kind of momentum is hard to stop in the moment. It usually takes a long injury timeout or a half time to slow down that kind of momentum.

Count me among those who worried that we scored too easily and quickly against BG. That was not momentum. But when BG began to claw their way out of the hole with sheer determination, they developed real momentum and their play improved and their confidence never deflated after that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just my feeling about momentum but….

Scoring easily or running over an inferior opponent doesn’t produce momentum. Momentum comes when you’ve been fighting and struggling and then have a sudden “breakthrough moment.” Confidence builds and success comes more easily after that. That kind of momentum is hard to stop in the moment. It usually takes a long injury timeout or a half time to slow down that kind of momentum.

Count me among those who worried that we scored too easily and quickly against BG. That was not momentum. But when BG began to claw their way out of the hole with sheer determination, they developed real momentum and their play improved and their confidence never deflated after that.
Agree with your whole post completely. I've seen a lot of games where a big, easy, early lead turns out to have been the worst thing that could happen to a team.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
It's an ongoing mystery why Dontae hasn't played more. Maybe he's hurt, but some games he's appeared in but only for a few plays. I always want to see that guy in the backfield, though.
Maybe we're saving him for Ugag, rested, and ready.
I think he was banged up. But I believe he’s healthy now so if he’s not getting snap then he’s just fallen down the depth chart.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you really blew that Miami game prediction 😊

*earns a lifetime guarantee of unlimited credibility on all football analysis
Heh, heh, that came from decades of watching the emotional ups and downs of college football (and in particular, Georgia Tech football).
Or maybe a blind pig found an acorn, one of the two.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
drive.
His first pass after the turnover was an incompletion.

Fixed it for you, but I think everyone understood.

Does a spike count as a pass attempt?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When Haynes runs it opens everything up, but we risk losing him on a big hit. I think we need to run him a little more though, it’s worth the risk imo

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It was a good call to skip that it would nto have been a big gain to the rb.,