Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Define mobile. Are we talking Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson or someone like a Trevor Lawrence who can move if necessary?
I think of Cam and Lamar as "running quarterbacks". Trevor is more of a mobile quarterback. He runs when the protection breaks down otherwise he is looking to throw the ball.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think of Cam and Lamar as "running quarterbacks". Trevor is more of a mobile quarterback. He runs when the protection breaks down otherwise he is looking to throw the ball.
Cam Newton was a running QB in college and first years with the Panthers. Then he started getting some hits to the helmet and got concussions. They tried to stop his running to become more dropback but it never really worked for him without that threat to run. He was a load when he did run it.

slugboy

Staff member
Cam Newton was a running QB in college and first years with the Panthers. Then he started getting some hits to the helmet and got concussions. They tried to stop his running to become more dropback but it never really worked for him without that threat to run. He was a load when he did run it.
He was well suited to a Malzahn offense. He had a mix of run and pass, but he wasn’t a glorified running back.

I didn’t see the same thing you did with Carolina. I thought Rivera ran Newton into the ground.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He was well suited to a Malzahn offense. He had a mix of run and pass, but he wasn’t a glorified running back.

I didn’t see the same thing you did with Carolina. I thought Rivera ran Newton into the ground.
He also ended up hurting his arm, I think it was his shoulder. He had stopped running due to concussions as much as before but lost his deep ball. He tried to make a comeback after surgery for it but he never regained the magic. He had a fairly severe auto wreck that set him back with the Panthers as well. He was something else those first couple of years at Carolina.

JacketFan137

Banned
He also ended up hurting his arm, I think it was his shoulder. He had stopped running due to concussions as much as before but lost his deep ball. He tried to make a comeback after surgery for it but he never regained the magic. He had a fairly severe auto wreck that set him back with the Panthers as well. He was something else those first couple of years at Carolina.
yeah tj watt absolutely went after his shoulder on a pass attempt and after that cam never had any pop on his throws. if you watch his time with the patriots it was clear he could run still, but he had to just about do a pitchers windup to throw the ball 12 yards

his biggest injuries also came in the pocket which is the most dangerous area for the quarterback position, not running the ball

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Give me a ****ing break. He’s far and away the best player on our team. Not his fault. Tell people to catch the ball.
This loss is not all on King but there were 3 possessions he hurt a lot.

The intentional grounding robber a FG, and his pick 6, and then goal line pick (not as bad but questionable).

He’s not the problem but we can’t sit and act like he didn’t have his own share of stuff.

The Oline failed. The WRs failed. And King made bad decisions. I don’t wanna bench him but I have no clue what to say about today.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Give me a ****ing break. He’s far and away the best player on our team. Not his fault. Tell people to catch the ball.
Possibly but i said it in another thread. Singleton (imo) looked like the only guy on our squad who was better than his counterpart on the BG squad. Of course i will not be looking at film to prove/disprove my accusation. I do think their RB would be a huge addition for us.

Skywalker1990

Georgia Tech Fan
He definitely has the best arm/qb skills on the team. I haven’t seen him really step up in big moments. In fact, I’ve seen the exact opposite(see fumble vs Louisville). Pyron doesn’t have the same skills but he did step up in those big moments. I’m not sure the answer.

slugboy

Staff member
He should have been pulled to the side for a series in the second and coached more by Weinke while Pyron played. King may have more upside than Pyron, but he does go cold—and we’ve seen that in multiple games. Either he starts to make bad throws, or people are taking plays off, but he went entire series not being on the same page as his receivers.

Maybe the coaches are scared they’ll take away his confidence, but he needs to play better or his confidence is going to get shaken by losing anyway.

JacketFan137

Banned
He should have been pulled to the side for a series in the second and coached more by Weinke while Pyron played. King may have more upside than Pyron, but he does go cold—and we’ve seen that in multiple games. Either he starts to make bad throws, or people are taking plays off, but he went entire series not being on the same page as his receivers.

Maybe the coaches are scared they’ll take away his confidence, but he needs to play better or his confidence is going to get shaken by losing anyway.
this isn’t good optics for a football team and no serious team would do this

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While HK made some bad mistakes, this loss is more on the defense, the OL, the WRs who dropped the easy passes, and the poor play calling on both sides of the ball.

You somehow overlooked the LB's and I can see how/why you would. While you see occasional plays from the DB's or DL, the LB corps this year is invisible during the game. In fact the broadcaster, whose name I don't recall, was very candid in his assessment of their play (or lack thereof) at times.

slugboy

Staff member
this isn’t good optics for a football team and no serious team would do this

Good football teams do that all the time. I’ve watched good OCs doing that for decades. Spurrier would swap QBs out every series (he was unusual). Fridge did it with Godsey. Parcells won Super Bowls doing it. And the optics don’t matter—you do what you need to get your QB playing right

While HK made some bad mistakes, this loss is more on the defense, the OL, the WRs who dropped the easy passes, and the poor play calling on both sides of the ball.

It’s not just today. Sometimes he just throws the ball where no one is. When he’s hot, he’s one of the best in FBS. But he goes very cold.

JacketFan137

Banned
Good football teams do that all the time. I’ve watched good OCs doing that for decades. Spurrier would swap QBs out every series (he was unusual). Fridge did it with Godsey. Parcells won Super Bowls doing it. And the optics don’t matter—you do what you need to get your QB playing right

It’s not just today. Sometimes he just throws the ball where no one is. When he’s hot, he’s one of the best in FBS. But he goes very cold.
it would honestly be as silly as lifting weights on the sideline. trust your qb. if you bench your guy you bench him the rest of the game. it’s not a position you do that for