Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

JacketFan137

Banned
Daaang. Klubnik at #10. That’ll put a star OC on the hot seat.
i gotta say the clemson people were talking about klubnik like he was trevor lawrence/deshaun 2.0 and from what i’ve seen he just looks ok.

dabo has made some concerning statements about his program as a whole that i think have something to do with his struggles. he hired garrett riley but he said something along the lines of “he’s been brought in to run the clemson offense” rather than him running his own. i’m not sure if that is the root cause of his struggle but dabo being all about dabo and his ideals is weighing that whole program down

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
i gotta say the clemson people were talking about klubnik like he was trevor lawrence/deshaun 2.0 and from what i’ve seen he just looks ok.

dabo has made some concerning statements about his program as a whole that i think have something to do with his struggles. he hired garrett riley but he said something along the lines of “he’s been brought in to run the clemson offense” rather than him running his own. i’m not sure if that is the root cause of his struggle but dabo being all about dabo and his ideals is weighing that whole program down

If Dabo continues to refuse to change with the times the sport will pass him by. And, how stupid to hire a supposed offensive wizard & then put him in a straightjacket.

Clemson had 2 generational QBs back to back in Watson & Lawrence. Most teams go a century without even one.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
If Dabo continues to refuse to change with the times the sport will pass him by. And, how stupid to hire a supposed offensive wizard & then put him in a straightjacket.

Clemson had 2 generational QBs back to back in Watson & Lawrence. Most teams go a century without even one.
And they were both Georgia High School Athletes Clemson somehow got their grubby hands on. Now imagine if Tech was recruiting for a pro-style offense, and the quality of potential generational QBs that our state just seems to produce. Philo or Knowles up next?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And they were both Georgia High School Athletes Clemson somehow got their grubby hands on. Now imagine if Tech was recruiting for a pro-style offense, and the quality of potential generational QBs that our state just seems to produce. Philo or Knowles up next?
Knowles is from Texas

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He rushed the ball 10 times in 2019 for 65 yards. He gained 35 yards in 7 carries against Temple, 32 yards in 2 carries against Duke, and lost 2 yards in his sole carry against the Citadel. As a change of pace back in 2020, he also fared well. In 2021 and 2022 when he began to be used more often, his ypc started to decline. As of right now, he's not being used much at all.

Edit: What made Dontae special was his yards after contact. He was frequently hit immediately but able to shake it for a long gain. This works when you're the change of pace but becomes harder when you're getting the brunt of the carries.
I admit it's a small sample size for both 2019 and 2023 so far, but it is the only data we really have that is directly comparable. We can sorta compare ypc at the end of the season, but right now those are heavily influenced for 2023 by the SC State game. If you remove SC State, we are averaging 4.05 ypc this year vs 4.1 ypc in 2019.

fwiw, I do agree that this RB group would do worse with the 2019 blocking because Mason was a hoss and we don't have that right now. I'm just not sure there's any data to back up the claim yet. Maybe there is broken tackle or yards after contact data somewhere to show how much Mason and Co
were better there than the current group.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Given actual on the field metrics, looks like EJ is basing these rankings off preseason reputation.
Let's also recognize that there was a team or two that thought EJ Manuel was worthy of a 1st round pick in the NFL Draft. My point being that people frequently get evaluations and opinions wrong. EJ, who I actually like as a commentator, was most definitely not an NFL QB much less worthy of a 1st round pick but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also agree @Techster that it looks like some of this is based on preseason reputation and as the season wears on, hopefully, Haynes King will keep moving up this list.