Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So, we scored 3 points in the first half and 20 in the second, but the first half's play calling was better?
Well our O is the reason Ole Miss did not pound us earlier and kept the game within striking distance. It's not like our D stopped them in the first half.

Anyways, on King, we significantly upgraded our QB spot in one offseason. Not only that, but I feel like King is nearly as big of a threat with his feet as Sims. We now have other options with King through the air.

slugboy

Staff member
Well our O is the reason Ole Miss did not pound us earlier and kept the game within striking distance. It's not like our D stopped them in the first half.

Anyways, on King, we significantly upgraded our QB spot in one offseason. Not only that, but I feel like King is nearly as big of a threat with his feet as Sims. We now have other options with King through the air.
We moved the ball well on the first series. A blocked field goal isn’t a play calling problem.

The one thing I thought was an issue was that I didn’t see a good counter or trap. It seemed like Ole Miss could commit to following the ball and run full speed, and didn’t have to second-guess. It looked like we had RPO, but we didn’t burn Ole Miss with it—maybe it wasn’t really an option, because we usually used the run.

In the offensive design, we have some speed and we can get outside quickly. I haven’t seen wrinkles that make the defense hesitate. (Maybe I missed it)

I don’t see “bad playcalling”. Faulkner seems to have a plan.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We seem to have hired an OC with a brain. Weinke continues to make progress with King’s mechanics. That was a great segment during last Saturday’s game the transformation in release since spring. WRs are good enough and we have many options at RB. The organization of the offense seems to have impacted the OL positively, they no longer look out of synch and confused.

People may be commenting about minor adjustments or strategies now but this is night and day from the train wreck of the past 4 years. We have a plan, it’s obvious. This plan will work.

Anyone still contemplating how long our offense transition should have taken now knows it was 1 year. The only question now is our offense going to become damn near unstoppable because that’s what it’s going to take to win games. A TD on 80% or more of our possessions is likely to be the bar for winning unless the other team has a putrid offense.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Offense is not our problem y'all.
My only beef with the offense so far is that I want to see some points on our first drive of the 3rd quarter. Be prepared for adjustments and match opponent’s intensity.

You’re correct that the list for defense is a bit longer.

JacketFan137

Banned
Anyone still contemplating how long our offense transition should have taken now knows it was 1 year. The only question now is our offense going to become damn near unstoppable because that’s what it’s going to take to win games. A TD on 80% or more of our possessions is likely to be the bar for winning unless the other team has a putrid offense.
i think this would have been true if we had a qb with the ability to run a spread offense. king is significantly better than anyone that was on the roster then and can make throws that i don’t think they could make in their dreams.

most people in the football world coaching at any level kinda agreed it was gonna take a little bit more than a year but not as long as it did under collins

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Anyone still contemplating how long our offense transition should have taken now knows it was 1 year.

Not even close. We are just now getting the OL to play moderately well. Haynes King, this receiving corps, and the current RBs would be struggling behind a year 1 or 2 OL. The skill positions are important, but the OL is critical, and it's just now coming into its own.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
i think this would have been true if we had a qb with the ability to run a spread offense. king is significantly better than anyone that was on the roster then and can make throws that i don’t think they could make in their dreams.

most people in the football world coaching at any level kinda agreed it was gonna take a little bit more than a year but not as long as it did under collins

Almost every coach I talked to said it was minimum 3 years but likely a 4-5 year turnaround. Collins would have probably stretched it to 7 but thankfully we've moved on.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think OVERALL the offense is more balanced in terms of talent. I think we had high level talent at maybe the top of each offensive group last year, but this year there's not a huge drop off once the top guy steps off the field. When Pyron, who guided us to upsets last season, is the backup that's an improvement. When a guy with the talent of Nate Mccollum moves on, but our WR group has 3 WR with 100+ yards, 4 WRS with 5+ catches that average double figures, that's an improvement. 2 RBs that average 6+ yards a carry, and both are or at 200 yards in 3 games, that's an improvement. Our OL has only given up 3 sacks all year...that's a huge improvement.

There's a night and day difference with our offense, and Faulkner has turned out a LOT better than I anticipated...so far.

Haynes King is still trying to find his footing in this offense, but the important thing is he's not hurting our chances with turnovers and bad decisions. TBH, the past few seasons, I was just hoping Sims wouldn't turn the ball over and hurt us. This season, King is making plays to give us a chance to win...and he's most definitely a "plus" player for us. He's the 2nd most efficient passer in the ACC...ahead of the more celebrated Jordan Travis of FSU and Drake Maye of UNC. Think about that. King is only going to get better, that will have a multiplying effect on the rest of the offense.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Almost every coach I talked to said it was minimum 3 years but likely a 4-5 year turnaround. Collins would have probably stretched it to 7 but thankfully we've moved on.
For further proof, look at Wofford.
Remember when they ran the 3O & won the SoCon regularly? And scared us to death one Saturday?

Well they transitioned too. Since then they are 5-25 and on their 2nd coach.

It is a huge challenge. Thankfully we have weathered the worst of it.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This is correct. The issue was the O line. BK is a good coach, but the line has stunk for the four years he was the position coach. It is just now beginning to resemble an FBS caliber line. Just because they are finally playing better does not mean we could have fixed it in the first year after CPJ.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
Did that account for the transfer portal? Curious how long these coaches expect Deon to take in order to upgrade Colorado's roster so that they are competitive in the PAC 12.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That's true. The offense we transitioned from was very bad at running the football.

The complete quote was this:

Haynes King, this receiving corps, and the current RBs would be struggling behind a year 1 or 2 OL.

Perhaps it would have been better to say the complete offense, but regardless, even these current RBs would struggle to run behind the line we had in 2019, since the 2019 OL was being coached to block in a completely different way from the previous regime.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did that account for the transfer portal? Curious how long these coaches expect Deon to take in order to upgrade Colorado's roster so that they are competitive in the PAC 12.

Yes. We were rebuilding from a completely different offense. Also, Deion is a unicorn. There are athletes willing to forgo the extra NIL a bigger school could bring to play for him. Two of his starting OL are returning players and the other three are Grad transfers and a senior transfer.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The complete quote was this:

Haynes King, this receiving corps, and the current RBs would be struggling behind a year 1 or 2 OL.
Yeah that was the quote, and the part I replied to was the part I disagreed with. Yes, we'd have experience growing pains at receiver and qb. The running issues were self inflicted nonsense by Collins.