Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They look night and day better than early last season to me
King had time to make throws. Yes, there were some breakdowns but so did Ole Miss at times. King was not running for his life all night. The running game with Haynes and Cooley had some good gains. The OL sure looks better to me. Ole Miss could have scored 50+ on us last year but shut it down. Last night they were still slinging it late in the 4th to run up the score. We had close to 500 yards of offense. The OL did ok. The D gave up 550 yards and several big plays.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
King had time to make throws. Yes, there were some breakdowns but so did Ole Miss at times. King was not running for his life all night. The running game with Haynes and Cooley had some good gains. The OL sure looks better to me. Ole Miss could have scored 50+ on us last year but shut it down. Last night they were still slinging it late in the 4th to run up the score. We had close to 500 yards of offense. The OL did ok. The D gave up 550 yards and several big plays.
Yep, anyone who watched South Carolina play yesterday and then watched us, you can see our O line is at least middling. Rattler was running for his life every play and SC had no rushing game to speak of so it was a one man show for them. King at least had time to find and open target and throw most of the time.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Haynes King stats

Attachments

• BB82E71C-1181-41F1-B022-4200B422B277.png
    BB82E71C-1181-41F1-B022-4200B422B277.png
    679.1 KB · Views: 63

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Being good in college and being good in the NFL are two entirely different things. I don't give a tinker's damn about the NFL. Georgia Tech is a unique place with challenges that are not found in the vast majority of college football programs. I stand by my assertion that defensive linemen are harder to find and harder to develop into good players especially at Tech. Good quarterbacks are easier to find and develop but truly elite ones well, even the factories have to sometimes get by with only a 4 star instead of the coveted 5 star. Clemson had two of them last year and got rid of one for the other. We should have such problems.
We have a 4 star starting QB. We had a 4 star starting QB the past 3 years as well. So far our current 4 star with the current OC/QB coaches seems to play like a 4 star QB.

JacketFan137

Banned
After three career starts as GT QB, Haynes is the 32nd all-time GT passing yards leader. Next up, Jordan Yates, Stan Gann and Jack Williams. At this pace, he could enter the top 10 by seasons end.
if he stays the rest of his available time i’m pretty confident he will be the all time leader barring injuries. especially if he really blows up in some acc games for 400 or more yards

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have a 4 star starting QB. We had a 4 star starting QB the past 3 years as well. So far our current 4 star with the current OC/QB coaches seems to play like a 4 star QB.
True dat. Sometimes a 3 star will get better and better while a 5 star languishes and eventually gets worse. It happens. What I would like to see is a bunch of 4 star lineman with an occasional 5 star thrown in for good measure but we are a long way from that at present.
After three career starts as GT QB, Haynes is the 32nd all-time GT passing yards leader. Next up, Jordan Yates, Stan Gann and Jack Williams. At this pace, he could enter the top 10 by seasons end.
Well, Stan Gann (RIP) was a split T quarterback for Dodd in the early 1960s until largely supplanted by Lothridge so he mostly ran the ball while Yates and Williams started off and on. Williams is best remembered for guiding the team to a 17-7 win over favored UGA in Athens in 1970 followed by winning a Sun Bowl over again favored Texas Tech. He threw a perfect pass to Mike Wysong in the corner of the end zone right in front of me in that Georgia game. Two of the three about to be passed have done two things that Haynes may or may not ever do: Beat UGA and win a bowl game.

JacketFan137

Banned
Offense puts fannies in the seats while defense wins ball games. IIWII
i always feel like this is too reductionist. last year we had a defense that wasn’t amazing but they did show up at times and the offense consistently let them down by giving them awful field position and just never sustaining drives.

we need to just be good at all three phases and right now 2/3 are just nowhere near acceptable

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No doubt about what you said about our school and IMO that's a reason for all of us to be proud of, but the players we need to build this football program do care about the NFL ... I'll settle for we agree to disagree on this one :)
OK. by the way I trust you have raised your daughters to wear the white and gold to cheer the brave and bold.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
With Gailey/Tenuta the complaint was always "why couldn't we have this defense with the O'Leary/Fridge offenses!?"

And with Johnson it was "why couldn't we have this offense with the Gailey/Tenuta defenses?!"

Funnily enough for old sayings, the teams with the offenses won more games in both those cases. You can't hold a team to negative points. ;)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Do you actually think our defense will hold any opponent under 30 points going forward? Or did I misunderstand your comment?
To be fair, they looked adequate in the first half but that may have been due to the offense going up and down the field most of the first half without scoring. The offensive line looked much better than I thought they would against what is supposed to be a pretty good Ole Miss front seven. Several times it seemed to me that Ole Miss brought the house and the Jackets picked up the blitz pretty good.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
With Gailey/Tenuta the complaint was always "why couldn't we have this defense with the O'Leary/Fridge offenses!?"

And with Johnson it was "why couldn't we have this offense with the Gailey/Tenuta defenses?!"

Funnily enough for old sayings, the teams with the offenses won more games in both those cases. You can't hold a team to negative points. ;)
The game has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Offensive linemen get away with holding to the point that Ole Miss was called for a hold on one of our defensive tackles and the man was taken down in the best pro wrestling fashion. Just grabbing a guy and spinning him around as happened on the fake punt gets nary a look from the SEC "officials". When was the last time you saw a receiver called for offensive pass interference? The rules completely favor the offense nowadays and the officiating reflects that and the need to put on a show. Fans these days want offense, scoring and big plays. Punters are an afterthought.

Personally, I like seeing a clean hard hit in the open field with the runner going backwards. I like seeing defensive backs swatting away passes at the last second. I like to see defensive linemen hustling to put pressure of the quarterback and close a gap to a running back. But then, I am old school with tastes more akin to late 20th century.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, they looked adequate in the first half but that may have been due to the offense going up and down the field most of the first half without scoring. The offensive line looked much better than I thought they would against what is supposed to be a pretty good Ole Miss front seven. Several times it seemed to me that Ole Miss brought the house and the Jackets picked up the blitz pretty good.
I agree the OL looks like it has improved from the first game. The OC has called a lot of quick throws which helps for sure.

Ole Miss only had 3 real possessions and the 1 minute hurry up at the end of the half. They got 10 points and a drop TD on 4th and goal. Your comment on our offense holding the ball was spot on. Three drives of over 13 plays by our O helps a lot!

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree the OL looks like it has improved from the first game. The OC has called a lot of quick throws which helps for sure.

Ole Miss only had 3 real possessions and the 1 minute hurry up at the end of the half. They got 10 points and a drop TD on 4th and goal. Your comment on our offense holding the ball was spot on. Three drives of over 13 plays by our O helps a lot!
i think until our defense really shows it can make stops we might have to play this way all the time. kinda unfortunate cause i feel like we looked the best against louisville when we went fast