Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

JacketFan137

Banned
This exactly. We have had four years of QB's not performing well in the majority of their games. Haynes King has played well enough for our team to win two games this year. Two data points isn't enough to anoint him the next Joe Ham, but I will gladly take what we have seen so far.

Just for comparison's sake

2022 Week 2 against WCU
Jeff Sims
QBR (weighted): 28.5
QBR (raw): 57.7

2023 Week 2 against SCST
Haynes King QBR: 84.0
QBR (raw): 94.8

King's week 1 QBR of 77.3 against Louisville also tops Jeff Sims overall best QBR performance of any game last year (vs Pitt at 56.7).

Jeff Sims highs in previous seasons were definitely high, but they were never consistent. He had the 98.9 game against UNC and 91.1 against Lousiville in 2020. Despite these highs, he ended 2020 and 2021 with qbrs of 43.7 and 52.2 respectively.
i will say this scheme looks a lot more qb friendly and we are getting some incredible production from our RBs and WRs after the catch that we have not seen from a tech team in a long time so that may help inflate king’s stats.

but i think you are 100% correct that we haven’t had a qb do what he’s supposed to in a long time. not just four years, i don’t think we’ve had a guy that could do his job on a snap to snap basis since justin thomas’ final season in 2016.

i think louisville is one of the better defenses we will see this season and he looked solid in what was everyone’s first game in the system. if we can gradually get better in terms of skill position (particularly TE) and o line play king could really make a run at some records for tech. it’s not like we have a long and illustrious history of passing qbs and he’s putting up numbers

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
This Saturday at Ole Miss is an opportunity for King to continue his great play. After last year, it will be interesting to see how much this team has improved. A road game in Oxford will be a challenge. I believe the defensive coordinator is a former Saban coach, so King needs to be ready.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
King already looks like the best QB we've had since Justin Thomas. Obviously different schemes, but the offense has a chance to be really good if the OL does their part. I'm much more concerned with defense, which is the opposite of how I felt before game one. King has a chance to be a great QB for GT for the next 2 maybe 3 years.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ii think louisville is one of the better defenses we will see this season and he looked solid in what was everyone’s first game in the system. if we can gradually get better in terms of skill position (particularly TE) and o line play king could really make a run at some records for tech. it’s not like we have a long and illustrious history of passing qbs and he’s putting up numbers
I REALLY hope you’re right here

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
"I kinda agree, but he may be better than Ridder and Richardson right now and both of those guys convinced 2 NFL franchises t9 make them starters. There are a lot of bad QB‘s in the NFL so the next few drafts will have a lot of QB’s taken."

Lol, I'm all on board the King train but he is nowhere near NFL good yet. It's been far too long since GT has had an NFL ready QB and this is just a reminder. Not all QBs can go the Tom Brady route and develop after the fact

Can King make me eat these words? That's the dream

bearla96

Georgia Tech Fan
Guys Haynes King is the REAL DEAL, he's doesn't beat himself, has great arm, and is able to extend plays with his legs. We get this kid more playmakers/develop some of the current guys around him (i.e singleton, brett seither, blaylock, jamal haynes, etc), I think sky is the limit for this kid!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Guys Haynes King is the REAL DEAL, he's doesn't beat himself, has great arm, and is able to extend plays with his legs. We get this kid more playmakers/develop some of the current guys around him (i.e singleton, brett seither, blaylock, jamal haynes, etc), I think sky is the limit for this kid!
I would trade him for a really great defensive tackle in a New York second. This defense cannot get pressure and cannot tackle in the open field.

bearla96

Georgia Tech Fan
Come on man, I know our defense really let up towards the end of the game but if this roster continues to improve (WHICH IT WILL UNDER COACH BRENT KEY), we can do some great things with King under center.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
King seems to be improving every game, getting more and more excited about him. Would have liked to see Pyron at the end there just to get some more PT, but I liked that King was still trying to drive the offense until the very end. He appears to have all the tools, both mental and physical.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would trade him for a really great defensive tackle in a New York second. This defense cannot get pressure and cannot tackle in the open field.
Of course, this post was TIC but King cannot do it all by himself. We must get better on defense or he will have to have nearly 500 yards and more than 30 points a game. No one can do that consistently. He may already be feeling the pressure of trying to score on damn near every drive to give us a chance.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Of course, this post was TIC but King cannot do it all by himself. We must get better on defense or he will have to have nearly 500 yards and more than 30 points a game. No one can do that consistently. He may already be feeling the pressure of trying to score on damn near every drive to give us a chance.
Unfortunately we need to score 35+ every game to have a chance to win. We aren't stopping anyone else on our schedule!