Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You make an interesting point that’s flown under the radar a bit. By this time of the season, most fanbases, ourselves included, are questioning the coach’s QB selection, particularly after a loss. Not many of us are, which says a lot about how CBK and his team are managing the decision process around who starts and who is backup. This despite the Pyronomania last year. Don't get me wrong, I like Pyron a lot and am excited to see him develop.

To be fair, having one of the top QBs in the conference (and top 20 in the nation in most stats so far) sure helps quiet any doubters.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You make an interesting point that’s flown under the radar a bit. By this time of the season, most fanbases, ourselves included, are questioning the coach’s QB selection, particularly after a loss. Not many of us are, which says a lot about how CBK and his team are managing the decision process around who starts and who is backup. This despite the Pyronomania last year. Don't get me wrong, I like Pyron a lot and am excited to see him develop.
Agree on all counts. I was disappointed when I first learned who was starting the Louisville game but now realize that King was much more ready to start and the coaches were making a rational decision not a decision based on a hope and a prayer.

The program is in good hands. They may not have all the pieces they need yet but they make clear eyed decisions.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like it has been a long time since I have felt that way. I don't remember what it feels like to have that kind of confidence.
Agreed! I had a lot of confidence in CPJ - the 4th downs, the fake kicks, etc. He was brilliant! TFG never had my trust and certainly didn't do anything to earn it.

Key and his staff (especially Wienke) seen to have a good eye for talent!

In Key we trust!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Saban has several problems, QB and Dcordinator . Kevin Steele has been everywhere and i have never been impressed. The season is early but, Bama right now would lose big-time to UGAG or FSU.
I agree the key word in your post is "right now" at the end of the season I would never take a Saban team lightly. Given a few turnovers and breaks, Alabama is more than capable of beating UGA or FSU but right now? They are definitely vulnerable.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We the GT fanbase are going to have to pay this kid some NIL $$$ at the end of the season or he’s gonna get stolen from us!
King can't go anywhere as he has used his one transfer. He would have to sit out a year and no NIL group/school is paying for a guy to sit out a year

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Guys I posted about him last week and I know it was against South Carolina State, but I am really impressed with his hold of the offense and our offense in general. Feeling excited for Ole Miss. If he keeps improving, I think he’ll be one of the better QBs in ACC.
Haynes is the very least of our problems. Linemen, for the love of God, can't we recruit linemen? Linemen who can run, put pressure on the quarterback or protect the quarterback. Linemen who are more than just oversized space eaters. Off rant.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I kinda agree, but he may be better than Ridder and Richardson right now and both of those guys convinced 2 NFL franchises t9 make them starters. There are a lot of bad QB‘s in the NFL so the next few drafts will have a lot of QB’s taken.
"Richardson"? Anthony Richardson? To have fun, I mention him to my Florida friends just to see the steam come out of their ears.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And Singleton has a good chance of topping Calvin's Freshman record of 7 TD passes caught. He has two in two games and is definitely part of the rotation with 10 games to go. In fact, I wonder if Calvin's Tech record of 15 might be broken (not necessarily by Singleton) this year.
Sacrilege to speak of such things so lightly. Calvin's records are sacred. Come to think of it, can you imagine Calvin in this offense with this quarterback? The scoreboard might short circuit.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He's already transferred once. I think he's in grad school too, so there may not be an option for transfer without sitting out a year. The $$ may support that, but I figure he's here for 2 years (how long it takes to get a MS).

King can't go anywhere as he has used his one transfer. He would have to sit out a year and no NIL group/school is paying for a guy to sit out a year
Ignoring that King wasn't the guy in question:

As far as I know, there is not a limit on grad transfers, only undergrad. Guys have transferred multiple times as grad students and played immediately.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He can't go anywhere because he is a grad transfer. If he had transferred as an undergraduate, he could have transferred as a grad transfer. However, and I don't know the answer to this, if he finishes his MS in 2 years at Tech and still has 1 year of eligibility left, could he transfer again as a grad transfer if Tech doesn't have the 2nd Masters program he wanted to do? Weird circumstance with Covid year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He can't go anywhere because he is a grad transfer. If he had transferred as an undergraduate, he could have transferred as a grad transfer. However, and I don't know the answer to this, if he finishes his MS in 2 years at Tech and still has 1 year of eligibility left, could he transfer again as a grad transfer if Tech doesn't have the 2nd Masters program he wanted to do? Weird circumstance with Covid year.
As I said above, I have not seen anything that says you can't transfer multiple times and play immediately as a grad transfer. JT Daniels is doing that right now for Rice, having already played at USC, uga, and WV.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
As I said above, I have not seen anything that says you can't transfer multiple times and play immediately as a grad transfer. JT Daniels is doing that right now for Rice, having already played at USC, uga, and WV.
Louisvilles QB is on his third straight transfer also, Perdue-Cal-UL