Have we filled all of our coaching vacancies yet?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
As of right now here is what we know

CGC - HC
Long - OC/ TE
Weinke - QB
Key - Asst HC, Run Game Coordinator, OL
Daniels - RB
Dixon - WR
Thacker - DC/LB
Coleman - DE/OLB
Knight - DL, Defensive Recruiting Coordinator
Semore - LB
Tillman - DB, Defensive Pass Game Coordinator

That completes the coaching staff barring any more changes as you are allowed 1 HC and 10 assts.

It feels like there has to be one more move coming as it makes no sense to have 2 asst coaches for interior LB's (Coleman has OLB's) and we have no one assigned to Special Teams.
Either Thacker is going to be DC only with no LB coaching responsibilities or he is going to be moved. Also, have to wonder if they move Thacker do they hire someone specifically for special teams or do they just divide it up between multiple asst coaches.
As I read the comments, it sounds like the general consensus is that this staff is an upgrade over last year. Agreed?

And sure, we can all wish we had gotten it right (or even better) two years ago, but that's water under the bridge.

So, is it too little too late for the haters? Will this make a big enough difference? The die is cast for 2022 (transfers still pending), but does this kind of change buy CGC/TS another year (ie, 2023)?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As I read the comments, it sounds like the general consensus is that this staff is an upgrade over last year. Agreed?

And sure, we can all wish we had gotten it right (or even better) two years ago, but that's water under the bridge.

So, is it too little too late for the haters? Will this make a big enough difference? The die is cast for 2022 (transfers still pending), but does this kind of change buy CGC/TS another year (ie, 2023)?

All that matters is wins. Sure, some will continue to hate CGC no matter what because that die was cast when he was hired and he wasn't "their choice", but the vast majority of GT fans just want what's best for GT. What's best for GT is for CGC to succeed. Not just succeed next year, but for the next 5-10 years. GT can't afford to have a revolving door of football coaches.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I think every single poster on here hopes that the coaching changes will make a big difference. I certainly do. But I think some posters on here don’t want to get “fooled again” and are trying to harden themselves against more disappointment.

I personally would be willing to take a moratorium on commenting until the first couple of games this season to see how it pans out. But it’s hard to resist commenting when some want to crown us Coastal Division champs just because we switched some position coaches around.

slugboy

Staff member

Choice was a big loss as a position coach; he did really well with the RBs, especially pass blocking coaching. Long seems to be a step up as OC. Tillman is probably a step up at DB coach.

If Long looks at what we can do well and tailors his system to what we can do well, the offense can take a step forward and maybe get decent. There is a plenty of room to improve on offense, but our pass protection has been killing us.

On defense, I'm in wait and see mode. It has been such a mess for the past three seasons. It's been uncoordinated. Maybe moving Thacker to coordinating full time fixes our defense, or Collins getting hands on does the trick, but whether the defense turns around is completely foggy to me right now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

What will make a "difference" is for our fine recruiter to win some football games with his fine recruits.

The coaches that have been hired seem to be an upgrade, overall. What we're all watching is what's going to happen with our defensive coordinating.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

At this point it has nothing to do about the haters. It is 100% about wins and losses. Win 5 or less and he is definitely gone. I think/hope we win 8 and CGC turns it around. The realist in me puts the odds of that at 25%

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As of right now here is what we know

CGC - HC
Long - OC/ TE
Weinke - QB
Key - Asst HC, Run Game Coordinator, OL
Daniels - RB
Dixon - WR
Thacker - DC/LB
Coleman - DE/OLB
Knight - DL, Defensive Recruiting Coordinator
Semore - LB
Tillman - DB, Defensive Pass Game Coordinator

That completes the coaching staff barring any more changes as you are allowed 1 HC and 10 assts.

It feels like there has to be one more move coming as it makes no sense to have 2 asst coaches for interior LB's (Coleman has OLB's) and we have no one assigned to Special Teams.
Either Thacker is going to be DC only with no LB coaching responsibilities or he is going to be moved. Also, have to wonder if they move Thacker do they hire someone specifically for special teams or do they just divide it up between multiple asst coaches.
I don't know anything about it, but I wonder if it's a good idea to have the linebacker coaches split between outside and inside. DBs have come under one coach and hopefully it will alleviate some confusion in the secondary. Should the linebackers come under one coach also? What would be the difference there between DB and LB coaching that would make it more advantageous to have outside and inside linebackers under two different coaches?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
This probably sounds nuts, but replace Joe with Thacker. Apparently Thacker can recruit, but I don't believe the football support staff can make visits or make contact with recruits. But just like Coach Long did at Tennessee, become a off-the-field analyst. A defensive analyst. Sometimes I wonder if we don't need to make some changes in the football support staff.

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Question: Does Collins make the rounds of GT Clubs in the South to rub elbows with fans and speak to them about the program? Johnson used to do that and, in Savannah, at least, it was well-attended and appreciated. If Collins has thick skin, given his performance so far, maybe it would be a positive step in trying to reconnect with fans.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He is a Great Guy ! Guys like him are not easy to find. He will be successful. I wish him the best of health, luck and fortune !!!!
It's important to get out there and learn from many different people in different systems. Makes for a much more rounded employee (I realize you weren't suggesting otherwise). Good for him to go get experience and build his knowledge base and then come back and implement everything good he's learned here at Tech.