Have we filled all of our coaching vacancies yet?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Could help with IMG,don't they put a lot of players in college after playing there for them?
Img - was hot but i dont know if that has played out.
Lots of rich people send kids to try to be tennis phenom.
They could be charging tons kids to get good coaching .

But u r right couldnt hurt that Madden had him as a part of start up. I saw that while at img - wienke gave lessons to the panthers qb during lockout.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I like the hires on offensive side of the ball . We are shopping for coaches that have p5 and nfl in resume. Plus they have track record.

If the oc and qb coach work well together , we can expect a big jump in qb to wr execution which will ripple thru out the team.

Cgc maybe be growing as a coach. When he came in WITH RECRUITING DONE, he mistakenly filled out his staff very quickly WITH ALL HIS PEOPLE..

The qb coach could become his best hire. I hope he turns out to be a geeat teacher and possibly oc material.

Don't know the guy from Valdosta state, but do know that Valdosta really suprised the NWFla football team in the playoffs. NWF had a good offense that was shutdown by Valdosta. The old " they played like their hair was on fire" type defense. We need fo look like we play as one and are fast to the ball.
I have hope.
Well - the team that shut down #1 WFla was not valdasota . It was UWG

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like coaching is being an effective teacher/communicator. Does anyone know if Weinke does that well?
Something tells me we may be very surprised with the defensive coaching next year if we finally have players on that side of the ball. Yep, I'm sure some hope I'm right, including me.
It needs to be organized in a way that it works, that was an obvious problem last year.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks to me like coaching is being an effective teacher/communicator. Does anyone know if Weinke does that well?
Something tells me we may be very surprised with the defensive coaching next year if we finally have players on that side of the ball. Yep, I'm sure some hope I'm right, including me.
It needs to be organized in a way that it works, that was an obvious problem last year.
I think the jury is out on Weinke. He coached Nick Foles and Case Keenum on the Rams, but those guys have been coached by a lot of people, and those were Jeff Fisher Rams teams. He coached Goff his rookie year (the year Fisher got fired). And he coached mediocre QBs in Knoxville for a couple years. Not a particularly strong resume, but I’d take his time under Fisher with a grain of salt, and it’s not as though his TN QBs were terrible. I’m a little concerned that he might not be a good coaching fit for a shotgun spread offense, as both of those teams I mentioned were running Power I offenses (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that it seems we have all the coaches hired, has there been any word on who’s coaching special teams? Last couple years we also had titles like passing game coordinator, offensive recruiting lead, etc. Any ideas how all that is split now?

JacketFan137

Banned
I think the jury is out on Weinke. He coached Nick Foles and Case Keenum on the Rams, but those guys have been coached by a lot of people, and those were Jeff Fisher Rams teams. He coached Goff his rookie year (the year Fisher got fired). And he coached mediocre QBs in Knoxville for a couple years. Not a particularly strong resume, but I’d take his time under Fisher with a grain of salt, and it’s not as though his TN QBs were terrible. I’m a little concerned that he might not be a good coaching fit for a shotgun spread offense, as both of those teams I mentioned were running Power I offenses (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).
tennessee didn’t have an athlete quite like sims so they weren’t running an offense based around a qb with legs. that being said nfl and college offense is nowhere near as different as it was in the past. almost every team runs majority out of the shotgun and the passing concepts are pretty similar.

i think his role won’t be so much that as much as fundamentals and reading defenses. long is ultimately the guy that will make that offense go one way or the other

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now that it seems we have all the coaches hired, has there been any word on who’s coaching special teams? Last couple years we also had titles like passing game coordinator, offensive recruiting lead, etc. Any ideas how all that is split now?
As of right now here is what we know

CGC - HC
Long - OC/ TE
Weinke - QB
Key - Asst HC, Run Game Coordinator, OL
Daniels - RB
Dixon - WR
Thacker - DC/LB
Coleman - DE/OLB
Knight - DL, Defensive Recruiting Coordinator
Semore - LB
Tillman - DB, Defensive Pass Game Coordinator

That completes the coaching staff barring any more changes as you are allowed 1 HC and 10 assts.

It feels like there has to be one more move coming as it makes no sense to have 2 asst coaches for interior LB's (Coleman has OLB's) and we have no one assigned to Special Teams.
Either Thacker is going to be DC only with no LB coaching responsibilities or he is going to be moved. Also, have to wonder if they move Thacker do they hire someone specifically for special teams or do they just divide it up between multiple asst coaches.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
tennessee didn’t have an athlete quite like sims so they weren’t running an offense based around a qb with legs. that being said nfl and college offense is nowhere near as different as it was in the past. almost every team runs majority out of the shotgun and the passing concepts are pretty similar.

i think his role won’t be so much that as much as fundamentals and reading defenses. long is ultimately the guy that will make that offense go one way or the other
NFL offenses may be more spread-based now than they were, but in 2015 and 2016, there were still teams that ran Power I, and the Rams were definitely one of them. I’m not as sure about TN though. I don’t know much about Chaney other than that he was Kirby Smart’s OC at georgie for a couple years.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
As of right now here is what we know

CGC - HC
Long - OC/ TE
Weinke - QB
Key - Asst HC, Run Game Coordinator, OL
Daniels - RB
Dixon - WR
Thacker - DC/LB
Coleman - DE/OLB
Knight - DL, Defensive Recruiting Coordinator
Semore - LB
Tillman - DB, Defensive Pass Game Coordinator

That completes the coaching staff barring any more changes as you are allowed 1 HC and 10 assts.

It feels like there has to be one more move coming as it makes no sense to have 2 asst coaches for interior LB's (Coleman has OLB's) and we have no one assigned to Special Teams.
Either Thacker is going to be DC only with no LB coaching responsibilities or he is going to be moved. Also, have to wonder if they move Thacker do they hire someone specifically for special teams or do they just divide it up between multiple asst coaches.

I think it’s already been discussed some that Thacker won’t be LBs. That was the Semore purpose.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I nominate @kg01 to be hired as the honest-to-goodness GT Get-Bak coach.

He has a storied resume here on GTSwarm. I want to see him on the Tech sidelines, putting his money where his mouth is. If his bite is one-tenth of his bark, we’re set for a natty…

Do you have enough juice to be the assistant to the #get-bak! coach tho?

.... it was a trick question! Don't nobody got enough juice to assist the #get-bak!

Come 'n getchoo sum!

:sneaky:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I got 5 kids. That's plenty juice.

Robin Hood Disney GIF