Have we filled all of our coaching vacancies yet?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
So is Semone going to be coaching ST?
Thacker the LBers?
Collins in his element as DC? O.K., maybe that’s an overstatement on my part.

Tillman is the Defensive Pass Game Coordinator(a new variance after 2021?), so who is in charge of the Defensive Running Game? Was that Thacker last year, or Knight? Or did Collins have a DPGC?

Key is still listed as the Running Game Coordinator. Have we had a Passing Game Coordinator in the last three seasons? Are we going to have one in ‘22?

Collins was helping with the CB’s, according to himself in 2019. Did he help coordinate the DRG? The OPG? Did the OC also coordinate the Passing Game?
Did Coach Dixon take care of that function of the offense?

So if CCW is only TE Coach for this coming season and we fired his helper, are we trying to send the message that ST were “below the line?” Or we don’t care about ST, we’ll find another Gibbs or Rey with blockers? Didn’t we tackle for the most part on ST?

This is the only staff Tech has had, that I can’t seem to piece together who is doing what all of the time, in title that is. I hope they are more organized internally?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe we didn’t retain DP and still have Thacker as DC. He seems like a great guy and a passionate coach, but the on field results deserved an axe, or at best a demotion to position coach.
Not to defend Thacker but DP was possibly the worst OC in P5. He had no creativity and I believe your average fan could tell you our play sequences before the drive started lol

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
According to the only "information" we have, which is the one tweet from Matt Zenitz, Semore will coach linebackers.
Apologize for misspelling Semore. Or was a Boz Scaggs song in the back of my subconscious.

So does that mean Thacker is ST Coach?

Rumor has CCW as TE’s only.

Hopefully the head ball Coach will set me straight once this last coaching announcement is made. No reason not to. Recruiting has pretty much been worked out with Thacker’s recruits.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Apologize for misspelling Semore. Or was a Boz Scaggs song in the back of my subconscious.

So does that mean Thacker is ST Coach?

Rumor has CCW as TE’s only.

Hopefully the head ball Coach will set me straight once this last coaching announcement is made. No reason not to. Recruiting has pretty much been worked out with Thacker’s recruits.
No one knows, at least no one that I know knows. I'm still staunchly holding on to the hope that the tweet was in error and Semore is really the new DC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It feels more like he wants yes men around him. I had hoped the attitude adjustment that was forced upon him at the end of the season would make him try to find the best coaches even if they don't agree with him.

Now having said that, the new more positive me is trying hard to believe that this is a good hire by him and it is only coincidence that he used to work for CGC in the past.
What's this based on? You have personal insight into the new coach? Everything I've read about his is pretty positive. The only problem I have with Thacker is experience. I think he's a good coach, just not ready to be a coordinator (from the outside looking in). It seems he had different roles before.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So again why keep thacker as dc vs keeping coach Pat ?
In my view they equally did poor, but what reasoning is there to keep thacker ?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Thacker is the dc and dc only now

I’m curious, but what exactly is Thacker going to do now? Most DCs also coach a position group right? And there’s all this talk of Geoff taking over the D. So now he’s not coaching a position group and the HC is acting as the DC? …so what gives?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
No, the hire is fine. Keeping Thack as D coordinator is bigger issue. (and Collins’ thought process on the D side changes). With that said, Collins should get to decide his own fate.
Your point is fair…CGC is setting up in his mind his best chance for success. I wish him all the luck and support , we are crossing the Rubicon…“Alea ieacta est - die is cast”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So again why keep thacker as dc vs keeping coach Pat ?
In my view they equally did poor, but what reasoning is there to keep thacker ?
Someone mentioned recruiting. Maybe it was thought he needed to stay in order to hang on to our two 4-star defensive linemen. And maybe it was felt it would be disingenuous to fire him after they signed. But maybe Geoff is going to be the real DC. Just speculating.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing. I have to believe this is a money issue. No offense to Semore, but I don't believe this is who we would hire if the checkbook was open.