Has the hype been humbled?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You know what's finna be humbled?

All ya'll foo's that choose not to get on the wagon now.

Future's bright and when we start winnin', some-a y'all are gonna have tight faces. Knowin' you wanted us to fail ..

andy_freaking_out.gif
Very very few, if any CPJ haters or CGC haters, while watching or attending a game want us to lose/fail. Bandwagons are earned, not hyped.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It'll be interesting to watch USF tonight. Playing WISC def. helps them get ready for us. We'll be slower and smaller than those corn-fed kids.
USF got totally waxed
I'm excited for ga tech...all this group needs is a bit of positive reinforcement, and I hope they will start rolling!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It’s just crazy to me because I truly feel like I’m on an island here because I love CPJ and CGC... an old school badass and a new school innovator. GT is fortunate to have those two types of coaches back to back.

Truth! Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oliver did not do as bad as some think... he was pretty good all things considered. New scheme and the reading needs a lot more work. The front line blocking needs more work on runs as well as passes.

James had that one dime... where Oliver was more consistent in moving the ball. The pass blocking still needs a lot of work. They did not pass a lot due to blocking and ability to get open.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Wait. Its silly to start a thread like this after game 1, but it's not silly to say the same thing in a tweet?

Lolwut?

Saying roughly the same thing in the tweet was silly. Especially when you're a former player and people are going to overly dissect everything you say. He should have known better. I didn't say otherwise.

I'm going to try and be clear here. When I said it wasn't that outrageous I was referring to the thought the tweet expressed. Let's face it. That game vs Clemson was an absolute wet fart of a game. I think it's natural for some people to think 'After all that talk all offseason that's what we get?' But when you treat it as more than a passing thought and act on it by starting a thread, or tweeting about it, that's when it becomes silly.

And again I'm going to try and be clear on this too. Reacting to a tweet by retroactively cheering a former player's injury or taking a personal shot at them for "only" spending three years on the payroll of an NFL team as anything other than an accomplishment is silly. And I'm being kind by referring to it as such.

I'm looking forward to a better performance from both the team and its fans today.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
2) You don't have crappy players, but they're not good fits for what the staff wants to do. This isn't excuses, this is the truth. steam rollers are really good at steamrolling. if you ask them to run a drift course though, they're going to look pretty bad. That doesn't mean it's not a quality vehicle, it just means it's not doing what it's built to do.

3) Collins is a salesman, first and foremost. He's not at Georgia tech to out X's and O's people. He's not at Georgia tech to be some crazy development guy. He's at Georgia tech to recruit really really well and be a salesman. He has in place exactly zero recruiting classes. You have to let a guy succeed at what a guy does, not expect him to be something he's not. Collins is going to succeed or fail at Georgia tech based on recruiting. Recruiting takes YEARS to show its merits. You should have zero expectations for 2 years.

Guys, this is STILL true.

You can judge Collins in 3 years not 3 weeks.

Scubapro

Banned

Yep...but this coaching staff isnt putting together a game plan that suits our player's strengths. Or actually anything that makes sense...lets go for it on forth down out of the gun? Who wants to see the gun now? Lets run late developing pass plays with a small and slow O line

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Yep...but this coaching staff isnt putting together a game plan that suits our player's strengths. Or actually anything that makes sense...lets go for it on forth down out of the gun? Who wants to see the gun now? Lets run late developing pass plays with a small and slow O line

Recruiting. He will succeed or fail on the recruiting trail. Games this year matter only inasmuch as they impact recruiting. I know that sucks to hear but you have to let a guy succeed by doing what he does.

Collins is a recruiter.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting. He will succeed or fail on the recruiting trail. Games this year matter only inasmuch as they impact recruiting. I know that sucks to hear but you have to let a guy succeed by doing what he does.

Collins is a recruiter.

Just don't see how he can recruit well enough to not still have to be a great in-game coach as well. He better find some great coordinators, because even if he recruits better, I don't think it will match the teams he will need to beat.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this. Collins biggest trouble will be keeping folks onboard after next year's gauntlet schedule with UGA, Clemson, UCF, and ND. I wouldn't count on anything close to a bowl game next year either.

2021 is the earliest we'll see any noticeable change in results.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Collins is a recruiter.

I think the recent performances from FSU, d'oh U, and Tenn are reasons to think that hanging your hat on recruiting isn't enough.

Imo, recruiting makes the difference between good game-coaches. It doesn't necessarily win games when you don't have good game-coaching.