Has the hype been humbled?

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Naw. I would prefer UT to be good and would rather not hear from State's 10 fans that they are suddenly relevant.

A Sun Belt team beating a P5 team, in their house, is a big f'n deal, especially for a 10-year old program. We'll see if GT has the nuts to play them someday, given the risks involved (MTSU).

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A Sun Belt team beating a P5 team, in their house, is a big f'n deal, especially for a 10-year old program. We'll see if GT has the nuts to play them someday, given the risks in loved (MTSU).

Meh. Beating UF wasn't a huge game changer for Southern and Ga St. is no Southern. There is no upside for Tech to ever play Ga. State. There are so many G5 cupcakes we can schedule without risking the credibility we would be giving them if they beat us once a decade. Nothing in it for us to play them.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Meh. Beating UF wasn't a huge game changer for Southern and Ga St. is no Southern. There is no upside for Tech to ever play Ga. State. There are so many G5 cupcakes we can schedule without risking the credibility we would be giving them if they beat us once a decade. Nothing in it for us to play them.

I was refering to App State beating Michigan (which people are still stunned by), and the fact that GSU is not Southern (whatever that means) makes beating an SEC program an even bigger deal, especially after a 2-win season. Really no disputing that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I was refering to App State beating Michigan (which people are still stunned by), and the fact that GSU is not Southern (whatever that means) makes beating an SEC program an even bigger deal, especially after a 2-win season. Really no disputing that.

It is a big deal for them, yes. I am just saying not a game changer long term. They likely aren't very good this year.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching games tonight reinforces the importance of a quarterback in college football. A great quarterback can make a huge difference in the ability of a team to be effective. The ability this year for Tech to develop a quarterback in crucial in how this year plays out. I do not care who is the man at quarterback, I hope one kid proves himself.

As far as the hype goes, the development of the defense is something I expect to be at the end of the year we are impressed by. A good showing against UCF, and maybe some of the hype will be proven.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
PERFECTLY valid. Great post!

Here are Johnsons's OFEI's
2018: 19
2017: 30
2016: 31
2015: 87
2014: 3
2013: 38
2012: 12
2011: 13
2010: 67

I'm going to make the argument that recruting to Georgia Tech is a different animal than recruiting to Florida or Mississippi State, BUT you'd be completely within your rights to say "excuses are like a-holes".

I'd personally think you were wrong, but I'd admit it's not unreasonable.

MY POINT REMAINS, though, that this is a discussion to be had in 4 years, not 4 weeks, and not in the 4 hours following the very first game against the defending national champions.

If Collins can recruit, retain, and develop kids at a top 25 level on defense at Georgia Tech, he will be successful. If he can't, he probably won't. That's for time to tell.

Ibeeballin may help some folx with this, but collins/thacker/et al were in Goldenboy and Elliot's head. There is nothing to be done yet about the mismatches along the front, but that was a well coached, well called game.

Also those are good defensive numbers and "sec talent" plays other "sec talent".

LibertyTurns

Banned
Liberty, Only on this forum...
I’m not a hype guy. I’m one of the last guys you’d want to hype something. That being said, if you have no hype you probably are not doing very well.

Anyone else have Sales guys at their company? Bastards every one of them, but bad Salesmen make you go out of business even if you’re going good and good Salesmen make you go good even when you’re not.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a hype guy. I’m one of the last guys you’d want to hype something. That being said, if you have no hype you probably are not doing very well.

Anyone else have Sales guys at their company? Bastards every one of them, but bad Salesmen make you go out of business even if you’re going good and good Salesmen make you go good even when you’re not.
The 3 best salesmen my engineering company ever had were football players.
They had been part of a team .

They knew how to be quiet in the huddle and could build customer relationships --- for the team .

They still call me nw la, usf, ucf