Has the hype been humbled?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guys, I'm literally the biggest Paul Johnson fan here. Of all of you. I'm the single biggest CPJ apologist.

ALSO, Collins rubs me the wrong way, personally. I wouldn't be a big fan no matter who he followed, or at which school he coached. I'm largely disinterested in UVA because our coach has some of the same qualities.

EVEN I think some of you guys are being unfair to Collins.

1) Clemson is going to do this to every team they play this year, except maybe Alabama. It would have been an overwhelming shocked if you guys had done anything besides get hate f***** by Clemson. In 20 years, people are going to remember this conversation. It'll be roughly akin to someone today going remember when we got poleaxed by Joe Montana's Notre Dame team and everyone freaked out?

2) You don't have crappy players, but they're not good fits for what the staff wants to do. This isn't excuses, this is the truth. steam rollers are really good at steamrolling. if you ask them to run a drift course though, they're going to look pretty bad. That doesn't mean it's not a quality vehicle, it just means it's not doing what it's built to do.

3) Collins is a salesman, first and foremost. He's not at Georgia tech to out X's and O's people. He's not at Georgia tech to be some crazy development guy. He's at Georgia tech to recruit really really well and be a salesman. He has in place exactly zero recruiting classes. You have to let a guy succeed at what a guy does, not expect him to be something he's not. Collins is going to succeed or fail at Georgia tech based on recruiting. Recruiting takes YEARS to show its merits. You should have zero expectations for 2 years.

If you enjoy his lame-*** bog-standard NCAA offense that passes 50% of the time and runs read-option and you could switch jerseys with any other NCAA team and not be able to tell the difference, that's a bonus.

Yes, the above is my bitterness speaking because there are no interesting teams left in college football.

So chill TF out, root for Georgia tech, JO about passing the ball and those embarrassing "$ down" signs, and remember that this is supposed to be entertainment.

Pretty good take right there. I love CPJ, and I love the option football that we played. With that said, I believe our coaches did a great job preparing this team for last night. I saw a team that was not undisciplined, a team that played with great effort, and a team that was just fully out-manned, especially at the line of scrimmage.

I also was concerned with CGC and his "salesmanship" being all show, but last night did more to make me believe he and the staff can coach well also. I am cautiously optimistic for the future. I still don't believe that GT can recruit its way to an MNC, but I do believe if he can improve recruiting (especially in the D front 7), we can become more of a top 25 staple again.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I expect better than this from a moderator. Mods should stay above the fray. Your conclusion is petty. (There are advantages to not being a mod)
Nah, I'm allowed to defend others. And I'm allowed to have an opinion, which in this case was hardly subjective. Believe me when I say there are about 100 things I'd rather say in response to your post, and those of others this AM, but I am a mod and generally stay above the fray, as you well know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That featured member said in a direct reply to you:

And he has since 'unliked' the post.

So, my conclusion is you're being petty.

And Zach has deleted his tweet. Where's your post correcting those continuing the anti-Zach stuff?

I appreciate you, and I know moderating is tough, but please strive to be fair. When you only stick-up for people you know, justice isn't blind.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, I'm literally the biggest Paul Johnson fan here. Of all of you. I'm the single biggest CPJ apologist.

ALSO, Collins rubs me the wrong way, personally. I wouldn't be a big fan no matter who he followed, or at which school he coached. I'm largely disinterested in UVA because our coach has some of the same qualities.

1) Clemson is going to do this to every team they play this year, except maybe Alabama. It would have been an overwhelming shocked if you guys had done anything besides get hate f***** by Clemson. In 20 years, people are going to remember this conversation. It'll be roughly akin to someone today going remember when we got poleaxed by Joe Montana's Notre Dame team and everyone freaked out?

2) You don't have crappy players, but they're not good fits for what the staff wants to do. This isn't excuses, this is the truth. steam rollers are really good at steamrolling. if you ask them to run a drift course though, they're going to look pretty bad. That doesn't mean it's not a quality vehicle, it just means it's not doing what it's built to do.

3) Collins is a salesman, first and foremost. He's not at Georgia tech to out X's and O's people. He's not at Georgia tech to be some crazy development guy. He's at Georgia tech to recruit really really well and be a salesman. He has in place exactly zero recruiting classes. You have to let a guy succeed at what a guy does, not expect him to be something he's not. Collins is going to succeed or fail at Georgia tech based on recruiting. Recruiting takes YEARS to show its merits. You should have zero expectations for 2 years.

If you enjoy his lame-*** bog-standard NCAA offense that passes 50% of the time and runs read-option and you could switch jerseys with any other NCAA team and not be able to tell the difference, that's a bonus.

Yes, the above is my bitterness speaking because there are no interesting teams left in college football.

So chill TF out, root for Georgia tech, JO about passing the ball and those embarrassing "$ down" signs, and remember that this is supposed to be entertainment.

One major point of disagreement. Geoff Collins is an X and Os guy. He is an elite defensive coordinator. If he had different ambitions he could be a Venables/Bud Foster.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tolerance and even tacit support of former players trashing current ones is a true narrative and one even Laskey appears embarrassed enough to have deleted.
you can't stop continuing to support the former O scheme over the school itself, which is sad.

^false narrative

Even after a former player trashes the players (which Laskey absolutely does here), the Scheme fans rush to his defense.

^ Nothing new here deny it as much as you want. Former players have been critical of new regimes for a long time. And were with CPJ. It’s mind boggling you refute that.

You care more about a former player in a former, thankfully-gone scheme than the current student-athletes out there busting their asses for us.

^this is you projecting your bias into me

#Sad

Sad. #Sad I had to parse this out so much for you to actually comprehend it....I hope.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And Zach has deleted his tweet. Where's your post correcting those continuing the anti-Zach stuff?

I appreciate you, and I know moderating is tough, but please strive to be fair. When you only stick-up for people you know, justice isn't blind.
Actually I don't know ibeeballin. Wish I did, and wish I knew you, but I don't.

I deleted the anti-Zach post that sadly was brought to light in this thread rather than the Report function.

Since I know you are familiar with the Report function, what is keeping you from using it? As I've stated directly to you and publicly many times in the past, many of which I'm sure you've seen, it should be known by now that mods don't catch every post. We frankly don't have the time.

It really is unfortunate you've chosen to air this out publicly with false accusations, but I'll respond publicly again so others understand the option as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nah, I'm allowed to defend others. And I'm allowed to have an opinion, which in this case was hardly subjective. Believe me when I say there are about 100 things I'd rather say in response to your post, and those of others this AM, but I am a mod and generally stay above the fray, as you well know.

You were the one that brought the tweet to attention here to begin with. Moderate yourself
more please or stop modding and join the fray.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see Zach took down his tweet. I am a fan of his and that was disappointing. Ya'll, this division over the offense is pointless and not a good look for anybody. It was never reasonable to expect we would automatically rush out and hire Monken when CPJ hung up the whistle. This transition was always a "when", not an "if"and it was never gonna be pretty.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

You seem to have many of the same thoughts that I do. At my age ( 69+) , I miss the way CFB used to be. Johnson was old school, and good at COACHING a team. That used to be more important than it is now, IMO. Now it's more about image , and hype , and salesmanship. The rich history of classic uniforms- Ala, PSU, Mich , etc , only seem to work with a few schools. Now it's bling and stylin'......
Honestly , I don't LOVE CFB the way I used to. All the recruiting drama with budgeting through the roof, the NCAA joke, players wanting to get paid - what's a 4 year ride at Tech worth- nothing ?? - it has taken a lot of the pure JOY out of it for me. But I still watch , and I still LOVE everything TECH, and I want them to be competitive and successful in the main college sport of the South , if not the nation.
Can Collins do that ? I am hopeful. Johnson had reminded me of the end of Paterno's tenure- stubborn to a fault , never wanting to change what had worked for him in the past.
BTW, I think we will rebound in a big way in our next game. But I am ALWAYS an optimist.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't understand your point. I posted Laskey's tweet which was public. What are you saying I should have done differently?

You are a smart guy. You obviously knew it would stir the pot. I’m okay with that. But after the pot got stirred you jumped in further on one side of the partisan discussion. Becoming partisan yourself. Mods shouldn’t do this imo. If you want to be partisan do so....but not as a mod. And don’t join the brick throwing “No you are being petty” stuff at posters if you are acting as a mod here. You should at least keep that in pm.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
You are a smart guy. You obviously knew it would stir the pot. I’m okay with that. But after the pot got stirred you jumped in further on one side of the partisan discussion. Becoming partisan yourself. Mods shouldn’t do this imo. If you want to be partisan do so....but not as a mod. And don’t join the brick throwing “No you are being petty” stuff at posters if you are acting as a mod here. You should at least keep that in pm.

This is pretty entertaining stuff. If you don't like how the forum is run, why don't you find somewhere else to rant and rave? We'd all be better off.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Also. Start graham here out. By end of year we will look so much better. His talent and skill is there the other guys dont have. And i am not basing this on results from last night. You can just see it the way he plays. Even coach pat says he knows the playbook best too. Lets decide and go with him. Oliver can be wildcat. Lj clipboard notes guy.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering your so quick to believe "unintentional" likes of posts, perhaps you should use your time staying above the fray to adjust the site's layout and functionality.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
One major point of disagreement. Geoff Collins is an X and Os guy. He is an elite defensive coordinator. If he had different ambitions he could be a Venables/Bud Foster.

Maybe. We'll find out in the next 3 or 4 years :)

To wit, here are the FEI ratings for the defenses he has coached (either as DC or HC)
2018, Temple: 42
2017, Temple: 36
2016, Florida: 8
2015, Florida: 17
2014, MSU: 16
2013, MSU: 18
2012, MSU: 44
2011, MSU: 17
2010: MSU: 63

I see: Always solid, generally good, occasionally elite, with the caveat that his best defenses have had SEC talent.

As I said, we can have this discussion in 2021, while you guys gripe about President Biden

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I promise you have no idea what my opinion is of Zach's tweets, despite the fragment of my opinion you see here. That'll be a fun convo whenever we have a beer together. I respect Zach's right to an opinion, which is one reason why I shared it.

In thinking about whether or not to post the tweet at all, I promise the deciding factor was that it was going to make its way here regardless based on how much traction it got on Twitter with responses, likes, back and forth, etc. As a mod I understand the consequences, which I would have had to deal with regardless of who posted it.

Re: the use of petty, I see your point. Also thought about the consequences, some of which you point out. At the end of the day, the poster was belaboring a point that was already clarified in black and white i.e., the post was not supposed to be 'liked'. While I don't know ibeeballin's motives, and so I give him the benefit of the doubt, I find his explanation believable since from experience I make that mistake time to time as well.

One could argue I'm being petty now too keeping this senseless banter going, so I'll bow out now and would be happy to discuss via PM.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This exactly. Say what you want even clemson OC basically said collins out schemed em and lawrence was largely held in check.

Clemson is pretty classy. As long as you don’t define classy as trying to prevent your backups from scoring. They are usually complimentary of their competition after wins and losses.

I agree about the D. It’s hard not to get excited about the future of our D. The results last night were far from perfect but I really like the changes and I feel confident about our future on that side with CGC.

No warm and fuzzies about the O scheme yet. It’s way to early to indict there tbough. And @steebu seems to see some potential I don’t. But in steebu I trust.