Has the hype been humbled?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The OL wasn’t the issue.

When you start a running QB who practiced with the defense and call RPO plays for 3 straight quarters and he keeps 20 times, it reflects a coaching decision prior to the game.

I think CGC decided to use this game as a scrimmage. I dont think he ever planned to go full spread, I think he wanted to keep the offense under wraps for upcoming games.

Maybe IBEEBALLIN can help me on this. I think CGC was playing for the next 5 weeks, USF , Cit, Temple, NC and Duke still haven’t seen our playbook.

I think this was a chance to put our guys in live fire against the best team in the country in a hostile environment and see who would do what.

I think LJ is our QB for the foreseeable future and I still see a 70% chance we are 5-1 after six.

This team has talent, Mason had 72 yards and a TD in this game and Howard had 15 rushing and 57 receiving out of the backfield.
Doubt it regarding the playbook. They have access to Temple game "film".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Came to post this. Ita completely ignorant to say CGC is not an X & Os guy. It might it worse to say he’s not here to develop. His DB track record speaks for itself and what he did Rock Ya- Sin is amazing.

Your personal feeling is your prerogative bc we don’t need groupthink, but let’s stay from the nonsense like this

So we don’t need groupthink just group talk. Got it! (y)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I saw it last night that stitt is the OC at Texas State, so I'll be keeping an eye on them as well.
Are we sure that cgc, who has solid coach reputation on defense, will not go to more air raid when he gets a qb with an accurate canon arm? Our defense looks like its headed towards being aggressive.

In 93 our hs successfully ran power I and dabbled w air raid. Next year w big ol , d1 rb, and qb gone , they went full air raid . While The qb was a baseball pitcher w cannon for arm he could not read defenses. They did well and he went to texas tech where he set ncaa passing records. Later he played in NFL

I hope we are Air Raid (super wide gaps, people spread all over field , 2 go long routes) with a nasty get them off the field defense.

Imo, that's our only chance to be competitive w clemson and uga. So far we seem to be headed there so i will endure the lame rpo till then.

I miss the option

slugboy

Staff member
I'd like your opinion about why this is nonsense? I feel like the numbers are pretty solidly in my camp.

Here are UF's last 6 seasons of DFEI. Collins seasons are bolded:

2013: 6
2014: 5
2015: 17
2016: 8

2017: 50
2018: 22

Here are MSU's seasons including the seasons before and after Collins, again, his are bolded
2018: 1
2017: 10
2016:91
2015: 31
2014: 16
2013: 18
2012: 44
2011: 17

2010: 16
2009: 42

Here are Temple's last 4 seasons:
2018: 42
2017: 36

2016: 35
2015: 27

I'm not trying to crap on Collins, I'm genuinely not. I'm just not seeing any statistical evidence that his defenses were particularly more or less effective than what you would expect each school to produce.

My understanding with Temple is that he took over after a big graduation. The talent he brought in is in their junior year now.

For MSU, what looks worse to me is the 2015/2016 years after he left. I’m not sure about the cause. He looks above average for the time he was there. Also not sure how well he worked with Dan Mullen.

For Florida, his years look good for not knowing the inputs. The years after don’t look like they were stacked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Are we sure that cgc, who has solid coach reputation on defense, will not go to more air raid when he gets a qb with an accurate canon arm? Our defense looks like its headed towards being aggressive.

In 93 our hs successfully ran power I and dabbled w air raid. Next year w big ol , d1 rb, and qb gone , they went full air raid . While The qb was a baseball pitcher w cannon for arm he could not read defenses. They did well and he went to texas tech where he set ncaa passing records. Later he played in NFL

I hope we are Air Raid (super wide gaps, people spread all over field , 2 go long routes) with a nasty get them off the field defense.

Imo, that's our only chance to be competitive w clemson and uga. So far we seem to be headed there so i will endure the lame rpo till then.

I miss the option

I'd be in. I was just going based upon what he did at Temple and what I saw last night.

I'm open minded :)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
My understanding with Temple is that he took over after a big graduation. The talent he brought in is in their junior year now.

For MSU, what looks worse to me is the 2015/2016 years after he left. I’m not sure about the cause. He looks above average for the time he was there. Also not sure how well he worked with Dan Mullen.

For Florida, his years look good for not knowing the inputs. The years after don’t look like they were stacked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just saying, 3 years after he left MSU, they were top 10 nationally, 4 years they were number 1. AGAIN I"M NOT CRAPPING ON COLLINS, I'm just saying by the numbers, his defenses look like about what you might expect the defenses at those schools to look with [INSERT DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR HERE] running the D.

We shall see at GT.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This thread has been something else.... I agree with the smokey and bleedgoldnwhite. The schism going on regarding the current/previous coaching staff is toxic and unnecessary. We are all jacket fans and should hope for the success of the team regardless of our opinions about the coaches. Bashing Collins is not going to bring CPJ out of retirement. Bashing CPJ is not going to change the past 11 years.

Collins' "nfl offense" discussion can be most definitely viewed in contrast to the triple option talking points. The fact of the matter is every college football offense uses option concepts. This is inescapable. The media doesn't acknowledge it because it does not fit into the narrative regarding the flexbone offense. Heck, the RPO is essentially a triple option with a slant pass route instead of a pitch man. CGC is using it to battle a PR perception of our program. Whether you like it or not (and I kinda don't for the record but an not strongly opinionated on the issue), some type of splash statement like that is needed to get a new-look GT in the minds of recruits. Recruiting is a decent measuring stick for success in college football and we need to recruit better. That is something we all can agree on.

In defense of Collins. He has inherited a program that is in total flux. This is due to numerous reasons: CPJ's control of the identity of the program, a new AD, the extreme changes that have occurred in recruiting due to social media. We were/are in need of an identity change. We have a small fanbase, we were tagged as "not cool", we are likely the fifth most popular program in our own state, and due to the typical behavior of fellow alumni (including myself at times if I am entirely honest) we come across at elitist, snoody, and not too humble. Tech needs more sidewalk fans. We need to be enticing to kids in the state that don't have insane academic aspirations to grow our fanbase. We need to be young, fresh, and different. Old-school football has left the nationally recruiting stage almost 20 years ago.. It is about time we caught up to the current climate.

On the flip side, the anti-CGC crowd (some at least) has been entranced in a weird atmosphere that entered Tech fandom when CPJ was reaching the apex of his success. That is that Paul Johnson became the identity of the program. His offense was our identity and was Tech Football. This is something that was not the case with Gailey and O'Leary (who had similar win %'s). CPJ's demeanor/identity struck a chord with some of our fans. It is actually pretty similar to the anti-Ryan, pro-Vick arguments that happened in Atlanta a decade ago. CPJ is not coming back, the flexbone is not coming back. Georgia Tech as an independent entity has moved on and we should too.

Alright-- Sorry for the essay but it was about time I hopped in on the 9-month-old continuous debate that has been occurring on here.

Let's just all move on like stech81. Have a couple of cold ones in the fridge and look forward to USF

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This thread has been something else.... I agree with the smokey and bleedgoldnwhite. The schism going on regarding the current/previous coaching staff is toxic and unnecessary. We are all jacket fans and should hope for the success of the team regardless of our opinions about the coaches. Bashing Collins is not going to bring CPJ out of retirement. Bashing CPJ is not going to change the past 11 years.

Collins' "nfl offense" discussion can be most definitely viewed in contrast to the triple option talking points. The fact of the matter is every college football offense uses option concepts. This is inescapable. The media doesn't acknowledge it because it does not fit into the narrative regarding the flexbone offense. Heck, the RPO is essentially a triple option with a slant pass route instead of a pitch man. CGC is using it to battle a PR perception of our program. Whether you like it or not (and I kinda don't for the record but an not strongly opinionated on the issue), some type of splash statement like that is needed to get a new-look GT in the minds of recruits. Recruiting is a decent measuring stick for success in college football and we need to recruit better. That is something we all can agree on.

In defense of Collins. He has inherited a program that is in total flux. This is due to numerous reasons: CPJ's control of the identity of the program, a new AD, the extreme changes that have occurred in recruiting due to social media. We were/are in need of an identity change. We have a small fanbase, we were tagged as "not cool", we are likely the fifth most popular program in our own state, and due to the typical behavior of fellow alumni (including myself at times if I am entirely honest) we come across at elitist, snoody, and not too humble. Tech needs more sidewalk fans. We need to be enticing to kids in the state that don't have insane academic aspirations to grow our fanbase. We need to be young, fresh, and different. Old-school football has left the nationally recruiting stage almost 20 years ago.. It is about time we caught up to the current climate.

On the flip side, the anti-CGC crowd (some at least) has been entranced in a weird atmosphere that entered Tech fandom when CPJ was reaching the apex of his success. That is that Paul Johnson became the identity of the program. His offense was our identity and was Tech Football. This is something that was not the case with Gailey and O'Leary (who had similar win %'s). CPJ's demeanor/identity struck a chord with some of our fans. It is actually pretty similar to the anti-Ryan, pro-Vick arguments that happened in Atlanta a decade ago. CPJ is not coming back, the flexbone is not coming back. Georgia Tech as an independent entity has moved on and we should too.

Alright-- Sorry for the essay but it was about time I hopped in on the 9-month-old continuous debate that has been occurring on here.

Let's just all move on like stech81. Have a couple of cold ones in the fridge and look forward to USF
Post of the month.
Dont be a stranger!!

I have in my past been a littke haughty about being a TECH MAN, but have figured out it leads to no where. The best thing cgc has done is make gt a welcoming place for all.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mods should not engage in partisan arguments, delete their own posts, and threaten other members with sanctions by other mods. This is completely unacceptable and what could have been handled in pm only was not.

Smh. And yes I have now used the report function for the first time ever. If you can’t stay above the fray in the sports forums you shouldn’t be a mod.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No opinions allowed just facts. Got it! (y)

This is a huge departure for this forum...maybe for the best. :whistle:

You want a hug? I mean what exactly are digging for?

@ilovetheoption stated he doesn’t like CGC. That’s fine.

But you start pulling data and charts to prove a point (ultimately nuking his own points) that is necessarily not true or doesn’t corroborate a point you’re trying to make, then “group talk” will occur

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You know what's finna be humbled?

All ya'll foo's that choose not to get on the wagon now.

Future's bright and when we start winnin', some-a y'all are gonna have tight faces. Knowin' you wanted us to fail ..

andy_freaking_out.gif