Has the hype been humbled?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I hurt your feelings. I was ready for a change & it was time to move on probably largely because we had such a divisive fanbase which can’t seem to go away by reactions like above. I like a lot of what the new staff is doing but I’m a GT fan not a “in love with my coach until death do us part”. When he shows me the results, I’ll change my mind until then I’m solidly in the wait & see camp. Not all hypey like a schoolgirl, not hope he fails like many wished for in the past because I have an agenda or he pissed in my Wheaties, just straight down the middle wait & see. Just like Johnson, just like Gailey, just like O’Leary, just like...., just like Ross, just like Curry, ..............

At the moment we don’t recruit a barrel full of 4*’s so every single one GT recruits has to be a hit unlike other schools above us. That makes for some long odds. Currently, that model has not been broken and I’ll rightfully acknowledge it may take time to develop, but now coaching needs to overcome recruiting. Is that what you saw last night?
Nothing I said has anything to do with hype I gave you the facts and you were dead wrong so you back track to the classic “he’s gotta show me.”

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No screen cap, which is probably a good thing. Zach stated in a series of tweets stte of "Lot of twitter hype, not much substance, hope there's more than gimmicks". Imo, it was petty, specifically drawing rash conclusions after game 1 vs. #1.

He has since taken those down. This first tweet was up while the previous tweets were still available. The 2nd is obviously from this AM.

And my wife saw this and loved it.
See noted last guy off field got and gave a very big hug. 90 was last man off field. Chris M has tranformed his body and last night he left nothing in the tank when he left the field.

Bloodied but not bowed.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This site still has a post up that says Laskey being injured was the best thing to happen to the 2014 team, which your featured member liked. Do you also consider that petty?
That featured member said in a direct reply to you:
Oops, well that wasn’t intentional.

Facts, remain. Laskey sounds like a women scorned. Not only does this make him look lame, it’s also super divisive. So you want to express your displeasure after game 1 vs. the #1 team in the country who has won 10 of their last 11 games by 20pts
And he has since 'unliked' the post.

So, my conclusion is you're being petty.

GT_EE78

Banned
If what we have is the "REAL" imitation cheese on our nachos, then we just have to wash it down with a bud for a year or two or three(not 5)
Our talent depleted roster isn't going to look as bad when not playing the NC. Sure , the hype is a little annoying but we gotta give him a chance.
3 winnable warmup games upcoming to get ready for the meat of the (weak) coastal division. Clemson isn't the best choice to gauge oneself agin, we're not the only ones who'd come up short. Way to early to be down on the season. I'm gonna try to enjoy that bud and wait and see.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nothing I said has anything to do with hype I gave you the facts and you were dead wrong so you back track to the classic “he’s gotta show me.”
Sorry again that I made you sad. I’ll nominate him for one of the “everybody gets a trophy” awards that are now fashionable.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
No screen cap, which is probably a good thing. Zach stated in a series of tweets stte of "Lot of twitter hype, not much substance, hope there's more than gimmicks". Imo, it was petty, specifically drawing rash conclusions after game 1 vs. #1.

He has since taken those down. This first tweet was up while the previous tweets were still available. The 2nd is obviously from this AM.

Should be ashamed about his previous tweet tho. It was classless

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it was discussed plenty in the offseason and during the coach search of what the risk was... It is a tough transition. The example that was used by me quite a bit was Nebraska. When they fired Frank Solich they went dark for a very long time. Solich was 58-19 at the time they fired him because he ran the option.. They've been totally irrelevant ever since. It's not an easy transition to change your culture, your scheme, etc. There are so many established offenses out there and coaches who can run it, so it is likely easier in 2019 than it was back when Nebraska fired Solich, but you still run the risk..

You fire a hall of famer caliber coach and bring in someone relatively unproven, and you are running a risk. There is no way around it. No, Tech didn't fire Paul Johnson but it was likely headed in that direction because of the option.

I am not saying Tech is guaranteed to go dark for a few decades like Nebraska.. I am just saying it is a risk that doesn't always pan out when you try to be the flavor of the month and get away from something that worked for you.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Guys, I'm literally the biggest Paul Johnson fan here. Of all of you. I'm the single biggest CPJ apologist.

ALSO, Collins rubs me the wrong way, personally. I wouldn't be a big fan no matter who he followed, or at which school he coached. I'm largely disinterested in UVA because our coach has some of the same qualities.

EVEN I think some of you guys are being unfair to Collins.

1) Clemson is going to do this to every team they play this year, except maybe Alabama. It would have been an overwhelming shocked if you guys had done anything besides get hate f***** by Clemson. In 20 years, people are going to remember this conversation. It'll be roughly akin to someone today going remember when we got poleaxed by Joe Montana's Notre Dame team and everyone freaked out?

2) You don't have crappy players, but they're not good fits for what the staff wants to do. This isn't excuses, this is the truth. steam rollers are really good at steamrolling. if you ask them to run a drift course though, they're going to look pretty bad. That doesn't mean it's not a quality vehicle, it just means it's not doing what it's built to do.

3) Collins is a salesman, first and foremost. He's not at Georgia tech to out X's and O's people. He's not at Georgia tech to be some crazy development guy. He's at Georgia tech to recruit really really well and be a salesman. He has in place exactly zero recruiting classes. You have to let a guy succeed at what a guy does, not expect him to be something he's not. Collins is going to succeed or fail at Georgia tech based on recruiting. Recruiting takes YEARS to show its merits. You should have zero expectations for 2 years.

If you enjoy his lame-*** bog-standard NCAA offense that passes 50% of the time and runs read-option and you could switch jerseys with any other NCAA team and not be able to tell the difference, that's a bonus.

Yes, the above is my bitterness speaking because there are no interesting teams left in college football.

So chill TF out, root for Georgia tech, JO about passing the ball and those embarrassing "$ down" signs, and remember that this is supposed to be entertainment.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel the exact same way ilovetheoption.... The only interesting teams left are Washington State, Georgia Southern, Army, Navy, and Air Force. I think USC will become interesting again, because they are going to run the Mike Leach Air Raid... Everyone else is basically doing the exact same thing.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I feel the exact same way ilovetheoption.... The only interesting teams left are Washington State, Georgia Southern, Army, Navy, and Air Force. I think USC will become interesting again, because they are going to run the Mike Leach Air Raid... Everyone else is basically doing the exact same thing.
I saw it last night that stitt is the OC at Texas State, so I'll be keeping an eye on them as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As far as 'rushing the ball better", we had 145 yards against this team last year and 157 last night running a new scheme in our very first game. I am not sure we have enough data to conclude were better rushing the ball although a picker of nits might say clemson's DL last year was better. I don't think any conclusions can be made from last night's game but I do think our D is going to better overall this year, Either way, the coaching comparisons are wearisome and do nothing to benefit the program.

Good take. But there is no doubt...Clemson had a better DL last year.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Kennesaw State is also interesting and i listen to all their games:cigar:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
you can't stop continuing to support the former O scheme over the school itself, which is sad. Even after a former player trashes the players (which Laskey absolutely does here), the Scheme fans rush to his defense. You care more about a former player in a former, thankfully-gone scheme than the current student-athletes out there busting their asses for us.

#Sad
False narrative....again. Sad. Stop projecting.