Has the ACC fallen to the bottom of the Power 5?

Is the ACC the worst Power 5 Conference as of right now?

• Yes

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • We are 4th out of 5

Votes: 42 29.8%

• Total voters

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
ACC is 2nd to 4th any given year. P12 has all but given up on football. Looks like we were probably 4th this year.

That being said it’s also absurd to draw conclusions from a 6 game sample size with opt outs. One of those losses was an opt out depleted ACC #3 giving a near full strength SEC #2 all they could handle.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's like 99.9% of them. When his team is getting their @$$ kicked on the LOS and the other team's athletes are better than his, he becomes an average to bad coach. Who was it that said "physical superiority cancels out all theories"?
He is still a superior coach. He became lousy because OSU was so much bigger? Please don't get in the fox hole with me. My lord we have hit the panic button with one loss. What he and Swinney are concerned about and working to fix are both the offensive and defensive lines. They need more size and that is the lesson to be taken from LSU and OSU.

Deleted member 2897

He is still a superior coach. He became lousy because OSU was so much bigger? Please don't get in the fox hole with me. My lord we have hit the panic button with one loss. What he and Swinney are concerned about and working to fix are both the offensive and defensive lines. They need more size and that is the lesson to be taken from LSU and OSU.

I mean their 2018/2019/2020 classes had 4 guys on the DL who were 5-stars and 6 more who were 4-stars. This is just making excuses.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
relax, my comment was a bit TIC. My point is all of them (coaches) can look bad when their players are going up against bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are getting equivalent or better coaching. I am sure he is a fine coach and has the NC ring to prove it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And yet we had more ranked teams than any other conference, more 6+ win teams than any other conference, and 2 of the 4 CFP teams. 🤷‍♂️
Ranked teams is such a terrible metric to use. Especially in a year when a lot of teams didn’t play full schedules. I’m sure your response to that will be, “well if they didn’t play a full schedule they don’t deserve to be ranked.” But that’s irrelevant because it has nothing to do with how good the teams are. Ranked NC State got beat by 4-6 Kentucky. Wake Forest got blown out by 3 win Wisconsin. Syracuse and Virginia Tech lost to Liberty, and NC State only beat them by 1 point. Ranked teams is generally the only data point you bring to the table in these arguments, and it’s probably the most irrelevant. If you actually look at the numbers, the ACC is much closer to the AAC than the SEC.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
ACC is a basketball conference. I root for Georgia Tech and care less about what a conference does. Just participate in whichever organization guarantees you the most money. That's why we need to get back in the SEC.

Go Jackets!

There have been so many mistakes made by GT AD's since Homer retired it's difficult to count them all, but the biggest may have been not getting in the B1G when we had a chance. I'm no fan of those schools, but we could have used the money, and we would have helped them with recruiting in the South. It was a win-win. Now we are stuck in the NC conference that doesn't seem to give a damn about us.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC is a basketball conference. I root for Georgia Tech and care less about what a conference does. Just participate in whichever organization guarantees you the most money. That's why we need to get back in the SEC.

Go Jackets!
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. That ship sailed in the late70's.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There have been so many mistakes made by GT AD's since Homer retired it's difficult to count them all, but the biggest may have been not getting in the B1G when we had a chance. I'm no fan of those schools, but we could have used the money, and we would have helped them with recruiting in the South. It was a win-win. Now we are stuck in the NC conference that doesn't seem to give a damn about us.
Any conference... will/would "care more" when we begin to win more. It's on Ga Tech to be great. ...not on the ACC to lift us up.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Help me understand (or am I reading into some of this?)... why is there any allegiance to the "conference" ...any conference. I could not care less how good the ACC is compared to other conferences. ...and yes, I have friends who do a decent job of trolling me on this and reeling me into these debates... mainly because it irritates me they are "SEC fans" :)

I care that the conference (ACC) be 'healthy' enough to reap benefits of any collective finances that may come to Ga Tech; but that does not manifest itself into my "pulling for the ACC" ... as a fan. There is only ONE ACC team I pull to win every week. There are many I want to lose all the time (VT, UNC, Miami... to name a few). There are quite a few other teams across conferences I want to win most weeks... Tennessee (Dodd's alma mater), Vanderbilt (Nashville is cool), A&M (the Corps and Gig em), PSU (married to a Nittany Lion), any team Mike Leach coaches (he makes me laugh) and others for equally bizarre reasons/rationale. That's how I "fan"... I like it that way.
Bizarre reasons for sure.

Deleted member 2897

Ranked teams is such a terrible metric to use. Especially in a year when a lot of teams didn’t play full schedules. I’m sure your response to that will be, “well if they didn’t play a full schedule they don’t deserve to be ranked.” But that’s irrelevant because it has nothing to do with how good the teams are. Ranked NC State got beat by 4-6 Kentucky. Wake Forest got blown out by 3 win Wisconsin. Syracuse and Virginia Tech lost to Liberty, and NC State only beat them by 1 point. Ranked teams is generally the only data point you bring to the table in these arguments, and it’s probably the most irrelevant. If you actually look at the numbers, the ACC is much closer to the AAC than the SEC.

No it’s the inverse - people are saying teams that aren’t playing are better than ones who are. It’s an interesting argument.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC is not a great football conference. Our record against other power 5 conferences is just not good. The teams people expected to help carry the conference have not lived up to their expectations (I'm talking about you Miami, FSU, VT)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
How would the bowl record have changed if we hadn't put two teams in the playoff? Clemson or ND would have beat A&M, and each game now has a stronger ACC team in it, probably resulting in a significantly different record. Kind of silly with everything from this year to even care, with Covid, and players and teams opting out left and right its not like anybody will remember this bowl season as being even as significant as any other.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Will finish 0-6 this Bowl Season.
Our 2 best teams both blown out.
Well, let’s see. The ACC had 2 of the final 4 teams. The ACC lost 6 bowl games, two to the top 2 teams in the nation and 4 very competitive, but meaningless in the Covid year, other games. The ACC has won, what, 2 of the 5 last NCs.

Hmm, maybe you should join that religion where you go around flogging yourself on your back.