Has the ACC fallen to the bottom of the Power 5?

Is the ACC the worst Power 5 Conference as of right now?

• Yes

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • We are 4th out of 5

Votes: 42 29.8%

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
ACC is a basketball conference. I root for Georgia Tech and care less about what a conference does. Just participate in whichever organization guarantees you the most money. That's why we need to get back in the SEC.

Go Jackets!
Well they're not going to ask, and we sure as hell aren't going to get on our hands and knees and beg them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
ACC is a basketball conference. I root for Georgia Tech and care less about what a conference does. Just participate in whichever organization guarantees you the most money. That's why we need to get back in the SEC.

Go Jackets!
You do know that Tech tried to get back in and the SEC said no. I think the guy that the stadium is named after tried that and the Bear was a no show.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

As I said, we're "down". I didn't say we're out.

I'm pretty sure what most of us would be saying if the SEC was 0-6.

Yea all this depends on how you define it. Over the last several years, we're one of the better conferences, all things considered.

In 2018 and 2019 we were pretty damned poor. We finished with only a few teams ranked. This year we returned to a more normal metric for us with 5 ranked teams and 7 teams with 6+ wins...both of those are higher than any other conference. But we had a very poor bowl game performance.

The SEC can yell "We won a ton of bowl games!" but they finished with only 4 ranked teams, and only 5 teams with 6+ wins (including bowl games). The SEC had 9 teams who didn't finish with a winning record.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The SEC had 9 teams who didn't finish with a winning record.

Thee ACC was much better in this department with only 8 losing teams. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, though, I think the real issue that is emerging is soon to plague all conferences, and that is the delta between the elite top 2-4 teams in each conference and all the rest. In the SEC it's Bama, uga, UF, LSU, and occasionally Auburn/AM. Everyone else is a CLEAR step below. In the ACC it's CU, ND, with UNC and Miami (possible FSU) in the same talent zip code. B10 it's tOSU, PSU and Michigan, sometimes Wisconsin. B12 OK and Texas. Pac-12, USC and Oregon are pretty much it, though USC has struggled with coaching lately. This lines up firmly with the team talent composite rankings in another thread. Unless we see more parity brought back to college football, (and I have no clue how to do that), we are going to continue to see more separation between the alpha programs and the rest of us.

Deleted member 2897

Thee ACC was much better in this department with only 8 losing teams. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, though, I think the real issue that is emerging is soon to plague all conferences, and that is the delta between the elite top 2-4 teams in each conference and all the rest. In the SEC it's Bama, uga, UF, LSU, and occasionally Auburn/AM. Everyone else is a CLEAR step below. In the ACC it's CU, ND, with UNC and Miami (possible FSU) in the same talent zip code. B10 it's tOSU, PSU and Michigan, sometimes Wisconsin. B12 OK and Texas. Pac-12, USC and Oregon are pretty much it, though USC has struggled with coaching lately. This lines up firmly with the team talent composite rankings in another thread. Unless we see more parity brought back to college football, (and I have no clue how to do that), we are going to continue to see more separation between the alpha programs and the rest of us.

Yes, the ACC is better. Doesn’t have to be much better to still be better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, the ACC is better. Doesn’t have to be much better to still be better.

Better than the SEC? I don't believe for a minute that the ACC is behind either the Big-12 or the Pac-12, and I think we are comparable to the B1G, but we've still got a ways to go, as a conference, to catch up to the $EC.

BTW, I didn't initially catch your verbiage of "non-winning teams." Both the $EC and the ACC had 6 losing teams. The ACCs overall record was 83-80 for .509 while the $EC was 75-71 for .514 on the season so far. We're not last, but we're not better than the $EC right now either...

Deleted member 2897

Better than the SEC? I don't believe for a minute that the ACC is behind either the Big-12 or the Pac-12, and I think we are comparable to the B1G, but we've still got a ways to go, as a conference, to catch up to the $EC.

BTW, I didn't initially catch your verbiage of "non-winning teams." Both the $EC and the ACC had 6 losing teams. The ACCs overall record was 83-80 for .509 while the $EC was 75-71 for .514 on the season so far. We're not last, but we're not better than the $EC right now either...

Depends on what you use. Total record, bowl record, number of ranked teams, FEI, teams with 6+ wins, OOC record, etc.

All I'm saying is we're not the worst. You can't have the most ranked teams and the most teams with 6+ wins, half of the CFP, 8 of the top 45 teams in the FEI rankings (and stats like that) and say at the same time your conference is the worst.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Depends on what you use. Total record, bowl record, number of ranked teams, FEI, teams with 6+ wins, OOC record, etc.

All I'm saying is we're not the worst. You can't have the most ranked teams and the most teams with 6+ wins, half of the CFP, 8 of the top 45 teams in the FEI rankings (and stats like that) and say at the same time your conference is the worst.
You can if you want to be miserable and poor mouth your team and your team's conference. It's easier to criticize on first blush than to actually evaluate the data.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Over the last decade, among current P5 conferences the ACC has
  • The worst bowl W%
  • The worst OOC W% by a significant margin
  • The worst OOC P5 W% by a significant margin
  • The 3rd best record in NY6 games
FE956630-7209-479F-A724-DEAF3A312584.jpeg

As I said before, the ACC is closer to the AAC than it is the SEC

Also, when you take out the top team from each conference every year, the ACC is by far the worst, and actually has a lower total W% than the AAC

And for those that want to blame the terrible OOC record on the traditional SEC rivalry games, the record against just the B1G, Big 12, and PAC-12 are just as bad

34-54 is good for a 0.386 W%, which is basically identical to the W% when SEC games are included.

I don’t really care about conference strength as a whole. I care about Georgia Tech, and winning the ACC will likely be enough to get into the CFP in any given year. But to say the ACC is just as good as the SEC, or no worse than 2nd or 3rd overall is asinine.