Harrison Bailey

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Prediction: If Bailey comes to GT, he will quickly be our starting QB.

That's not a knock on Sims, but given CGC's and Long's careers are on the line next season, they won't have time to let QBs make mistakes and develop while learning Longs system. Bailey has knowledge of Longs offense when Long was helping UT as an offensive analyst. Bailey will have a headstart on everyone in the QB room.

However, I think Sims has an equalizer in his ability to run. Long does let his QBs run, and Sims is a lethal runner. The question is whether he'll be able to cut down on bad throws and turnovers that have hurt him.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

That's not a knock on Sims, but given CGC's and Long's careers are on the line next season, they won't have time to let QBs make mistakes and develop while learning Longs system. Bailey has knowledge of Longs offense when Long was helping UT as an offensive analyst. Bailey will have a headstart on everyone in the QB room.

However, I think Sims has an equalizer in his ability to run. Long does let his QBs run, and Sims is a lethal runner. The question is whether he'll be able to cut down on bad throws and turnovers that have hurt him.
I'm not disputing your prediction. I just want to point out one thing. When Long was at UT, they weren't running his offense. I think both QBs would be starting from the same place - at least so far as learning the new offense goes...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Well thought out.

If it plays out like u suggest, I wonder if Long will train up Sims on some set plays and sprinkle him in for a series as appropriate ( say 1 back 2 tight ends split , back goes in motion and qb has green light to run. )

I like Sims and think he will mature.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One possible issue with Bailey becoming our starter is our OL issues, from what i’ve read he is not very mobile. It’s Likely that we will need both QB’s to survive our porous OL

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
One possible issue with Bailey becoming our starter is our OL issues, from what i’ve read he is not very mobile. It’s Likely that we will need both QB’s to survive our porous OL
I doubt an immobile QB would want to come into this situation.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping that our OL problems involved blocking assignments. Seems like it was communication or schemes were too complicated. Even low level talent doesn’t whiff.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I figure he goes to UGA if they offer. Even Bennett has been decent there. Fromm was not the greatest but they both "manage" the position without many mistakes. He doesn't need to be mobile there. I hope he doesn't go there .
Not sure if Daniels is done or not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not disputing your prediction. I just want to point out one thing. When Long was at UT, they weren't running his offense. I think both QBs would be starting from the same place - at least so far as learning the new offense goes...

You are correct, UT did not run Long's offense, but Long was brought in to help "spruce up" UT's offense with some of his concepts. There was a thought that Long would eventually become the OC, but Pruitt was fired at the end of that season. Bailey no doubt is familiar with Long's offensive concepts and schemes from their year together at UT...and it's one reason why GT may just be in the driver's seat for Bailey.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I dint understand why we arent happier about this transfer in. He was highly rated out of HS and has a pretty darn good arm. And everyone says he is a pocket passer, which he is more of, but he showed in HS he is capable mobile as well. Definitely not sims level speed but capable.

it is pretty well known that Long is more apt to throw the ball than Coach P. So if we get in a QB with great passing ability and decent mobility, its a win win. Why so negative? What am I missing, besides the fact that this is the GT fanbase??

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I dint understand why we arent happier about this transfer in. He was highly rated out of HS and has a pretty darn good arm. And everyone says he is a pocket passer, which he is more of, but he showed in HS he is capable mobile as well. Definitely not sims level speed but capable.

it is pretty well known that Long is more apt to throw the ball than Coach P. So if we get in a QB with great passing ability and decent mobility, its a win win. Why so negative? What am I missing, besides the fact that this is the GT fanbase??

I think it's huge if it happens. I don't think it's a sure thing yet.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

Idk. Long uses a lot of RPO’s now that can be adjusted and he has done so but Sims fits well in the RPO. I don’t have an issue with Bailey transferring in although I feel it’s a Long shot..