Harrison Bailey transfer

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
Duke seems like an idyllic place to coach. $2.7 million a year and I'm sure he's doing his best but if he goes 6-6, they love him. No pressure. Any decent, solid coach could go there and stay 30 years if he wanted. Why would he give that up for the UT pressure-cooker?
I think it's more accurate to say the media loves him. Based on attendance I would say the Duke fan base has gotten pretty bored winning 2 or 3 ACC games per year which is what he's averaged there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more accurate to say the media loves him. Based on attendance I would say the Duke fan base has gotten pretty bored winning 2 or 3 ACC games per year which is what he's averaged there.
Love and apathy are pretty much the same at $2.7 million a year. Most Dukies are happy enough to win 2 or 3 ACC games a year. If you look back on the records of the last few coaches' who preceded him, they weren't hard acts to follow. Carl Franks went 7-45, then Ted Roof went 6-45. Cutcliffe is 71-74.

Last edited:

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Love and apathy are pretty much the same at $2.7 million a year. Most Dukies are happy enough to win 2 or 3 ACC games a year. If you look back on the records of the last few coaches' who preceded him, they weren't hard acts to follow. Carl Franks went 7-45, then Ted Roof went 6-45. Cutcliffe is 71-74.

I had a buddy tell me "please let us get back Ted Roof as our DC! He could cause havoc throughout the game until those 4 or 5 long passes that would go for TDs and kill us." I was like, yeah man, sounds good.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not sure on this one. He was recruited by the previous regime and the new regime brought in two upperclassmen QBs from the portal even though they already had two quality young guys who have now both transferred. He started the last three games in 2020 and played fairly well. Goes 12-15 for 260 yards and two TD in the spring game and then is third on the depth chart. If anyone ever needed to transfer it was him.
Time will tell i guess. He DOES sound like the type of guy who would go to Duke and excel under Cutcliff‘s tutelage....

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I had a buddy tell me "please let us get back Ted Roof as our DC! He could cause havoc throughout the game until those 4 or 5 long passes that would go for TDs and kill us." I was like, yeah man, sounds good.
I never want Roof back as DC but i think it would be great if he could come back as LB coach or something like that, he is a really good recruiter

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Actually, Ted was a bend-but-not-break kind of DC. Maybe your buddy is thinking of Jon Tenuta.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

From the outsider perspective, seems to me the interesting point re DC Roof is that his last tenure coincided with the narrative across this board that quality D talent would not consider us because of the offense they would face daily in practice.

So, if that variable has been replaced and a higher level talent is coming in, what in a DC Roof scheme would not be successful with talent recruited to implement it?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
From the outsider perspective, seems to me the interesting point re DC Roof is that his last tenure coincided with the narrative across this board that quality D talent would not consider us because of the offense they would face daily in practice.

So, if that variable has been replaced and a higher level talent is coming in, what in a DC Roof scheme would not be successful with talent recruited to implement it?

Problem with that logic is Roof hasn't really had good defenses anywhere, maybe outside of a year or two.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

What happened at Auburn? They pretty much won a NC despite Roof's defense.