Guys played hard, but were coached poorly again this week.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not going to say the play calling was great. But if you offensive line can't block to pick up one yard on 2 plays then we have a problem .

Agree 100% that if you can't make a yard you probably don't deserve to win. 7 points is a lot more than 3 and the other team gets the ball in lousy field position if you don't make it from inside the 5. I like this phase of CPJ's game and the odds are with you. But the specific plays called........

CPJ needs to play to the teams strengths...up the middle is not our strength this year. We were burning them on the edges and he runs JT up the gut twice to try to get the put away TD...just does not make much sense.

This has been our MO and it has worked. Remember the Tevin? I think we are seeing how great Shaq was for us last year.

What bothered me about the O coaching yesterday was getting away from what worked on our first three drives; but maybe it was UNC adjustments. @Boomergump will say what he saw.

On the D side it was not calling time outs when the other team's O gets on a hurry up roll. The same thing happened in the Duke game where they kept pounding it rapidly up the middle and it changed the game. In basketball it is typical to call time outs to break the flow of the other team. Why not in football, especially in the first half (Duke and UNC) when you take those time outs to the locker room?

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this is extremely frustrating and this is not what I expected to this point, but I still truly believe 2016 is the year we do it!!!!

I get what you're saying but seriously, "wait untill next year" after game 5? Good grief.

In my 27 years around GT football, I learned to temper my expectations every year up until this year. I really thought the return of the OL & JT and an improved defense on paper would be the ticket. I made a lot of noise about GT in the offseason and now I feel humiliated.

I'm now instantly back to the "we'll see" attitude of the zen master.

Will GT be ranked in the preseason? We'll see.
How many games will GT win this year? We'll see.
What will the final score be on Saturday? We'll see.
Will this 2015 GT team get sick of losing and stick it to the overconfident and emotionally spent Tiggers this Saturday? We'll see.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
When you lose everyone needs to take some credit including our fans, especially those, I told you so types that take more joy in being right than in Tech winning. That is pathetic and it seems we have a bunch of those in our small fan base. Hopefully they will find something else to do with their brilliance and stay the hell off of our message boards.

Go Tech!
Not recognizing and addressing a problem head on by sugar coating and blindly endorseing a disturbing obvious negative trend is just as disturbing and in my mind disingenuous and not constructive and fair to the team....

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
While players have to make plays, coaches have to call the plays. For the last 3 games we have tried to go up the middle and failed. We have one of the fastest QB's in the conference and don't take advantage of his speed and go outside. At least four times Brad Stewart lines up in the slot, UNC leaves him uncovered and we don't throw to him. Like I have said before, we have talent, it just has to be used the right way.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not recognizing and addressing a problem head on by sugar coating and blindly endorseing a disturbing obvious negative trend is just as disturbing and in my mind disingenuous and not constructive and fair to the team....

Apparently, we have returned to our accustomed place of debating who is/isn't a "good fan". Next step in the process will be when someone mentions either the words "academics', "limited majors" or "calculus" in a post when discussing the team's performance.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
CPJ and Roof did a s****y job yesterday. Going on fourth vs FG decisions were schizophrenic. I've been an advocate for Roof, but he doesn't know how to defend UNC for some reason.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
While players have to make plays, coaches have to call the plays. For the last 3 games we have tried to go up the middle and failed. We have one of the fastest QB's in the conference and don't take advantage of his speed and go outside. At least four times Brad Stewart lines up in the slot, UNC leaves him uncovered and we don't throw to him. Like I have said before, we have talent, it just has to be used the right way.

Read earlier posts...often in that formation, Stewart was not eligible receiver.

Declinometer

Banned
https://gtswarm.com/threads/unc-postgame.8163/page-4#post-182392

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
We are just a mediocre-bad team this year. I've accepted it now, it's painful but it's true. We're not terrible, but we're not good either. The combination of players lost last year, injuries and having to play a ton of young guys that just aren't ready or skilled enough to pick up the slack.

I think mostly everyone is upset because we saw such great success down the stretch last year and expected the same this year. And this year's team just isn't the same.

Still seeing a lot of the same things from the last few years, poor blocking inside and perimeter, bad tackling on D, no push or surge on pass rush. Once again we can't run a spy to stop a QB run/scramble.

It's going to be a real struggle to get bowl eligible this season. So weird to say from top 10 team in the country to maybe not bowl eligible in 1 year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's playing like he's the best athlete on the field and can juke anyone. Sad news is that he can't. He needs to learn to throw it away or give his guys a chance.

the problem is he has to juke everyone damn near every play not because he wants to. He has lost all confidence in his line. I don't blame him. Its a tough enough position to play anyway.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
The fans definitely contributed. Many didn't show and there were seats all around us, we couldn't ever get a YELLOW JACKETS. Cheer going, and at one point after we got a first down, it was so silent you would think it was pregame.
All of us need to take some accountability for this too.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
The fans definitely contributed. Many didn't show and there were seats all around us, we couldn't ever get a YELLOW JACKETS. Cheer going, and at one point after we got a first down, it was so silent you would think it was pregame.

The stadium was 90% filled. Everyone was quiet because we knew what was coming. Hoarding timeouts and passing with 2 mins left.

Seeing Justin leave a great pocket to rollout to where the de could pressure a throw. Never a timeout when NC was rolling. DBs with terrible coverage. No QB spys.

Of course the wind was out of us in the 2nd half.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When you lose everyone needs to take some credit including our fans, especially those, I told you so types that take more joy in being right than in Tech winning. That is pathetic and it seems we have a bunch of those in our small fan base. Hopefully they will find something else to do with their brilliance and stay the hell off of our message boards.

Go
Agree 100% that if you can't make a yard you probably don't deserve to win. 7 points is a lot more than 3 and the other team gets the ball in lousy field position if you don't make it from inside the 5. I like this phase of CPJ's game and the odds are with you. But the specific plays called........

This has been our MO and it has worked. Remember the Tevin? I think we are seeing how great Shaq was for us last year.

What bothered me about the O coaching yesterday was getting away from what worked on our first three drives; but maybe it was UNC adjustments. @Boomergump will say what he saw.

On the D side it was not calling time outs when the other team's O gets on a hurry up roll. The same thing happened in the Duke game where they kept pounding it rapidly up the middle and it changed the game. In basketball it is typical to call time outs to break the flow of the other team. Why not in football, especially in the first half (Duke and UNC) when you take those time outs to the locker room?

Trying to keep threads from whoa is me, don't critize coach ===
Good point on time outs by D in first half. Here is the "butter up "
Since I know you are good at the measuring and tracking of game stats --would love to get you grade - each game on efficient use of time outs.

Also --On this game did you notice that unc seemed to have a number of injuries after gt got big gain. One was clearly serious but others appeared to be minor (ginger walk off) . I saw that we had nobles and another guy injured but don't remember them holding up play. Defensive "Injuries" occurring verses "injury time out " and "downs or time until return to field" seems like another relevant info that indicate a difference in coaching philosophy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......would love to get you grade - each game on efficient use of time outs.

Also --On this game did you notice that unc seemed to have a number of injuries after gt got big gain. One was clearly serious but others appeared to be minor (ginger walk off) . I saw that we had nobles and another guy injured but don't remember them holding up play. Defensive "Injuries" occurring verses "injury time out " and "downs or time until return to field" seems like another relevant info that indicate a difference in coaching philosophy.

No way to easily track time out or lack of time out stats. Also, the use or lack of use of a time out results in an unprovable situation since you don't know what would have happened otherwise.

That being said, the disruption of the other team's tempo should be a strategic consideration. Anything you do to make the other team think more and be less comfortable is good.

The best example of fake injuries to change the tempo is in soccer ...... time outs in basketball ..... and yes we should do it more as it is part of the game (IMHO) and thought to be efffective.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not going to say the play calling was great. But if you offensive line can't block to pick up one yard on 2 plays then we have a problem .

This. Especially with a 370 pound right guard leading the way. <sad but true>

The oline played better but I tend to observe there is not a "mean streak" to them. They make initial blocks but don't seem to have the killer instinct to reach the next level. Play calls sometimes are baffling to say the least. As far as defense sometimes a d coordinator relies to much on scheme and doesn't allow the athletes to do what they do best. Hopefully in reviewing the game film they will see some adjustments that they as coaches need to make.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This. Especially with a 370 pound right guard leading the way. <sad but true>

Devine hasn't been the issue IMO. I watched and replayed this a ton. Burden is on his belly. 78 when trying to block cross misses...and even Joe hasn't been great. 71 seems like he is doing his job. You need 3-4 to do that job.

but the biggest issue is this...the Bgap is wide open...yet we continue to go over C butt. Go watch UGA and Miss St tapes...how we destroyed them over B under the same type of circumstances. I am not sure if that is up to the BB to do, or the playcall...but we aren't doing it.

its time to give MM a chance even if he is rumored to fumble; and these are rumors not fact. We are losing anyway and he has a ceiling to hit the edges and have vision better than skov

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Devine hasn't been the issue IMO. I watched and replayed this a ton. Burden is on his belly. 78 when trying to block cross misses...and even Joe hasn't been great. 71 seems like he is doing his job. You need 3-4 to do that job.

but the biggest issue is this...the Bgap is wide open...yet we continue to go over C butt. Go watch UGA and Miss St tapes...how we destroyed them over B under the same type of circumstances. I am not sure if that is up to the BB to do, or the playcall...but we aren't doing it.

its time to give MM a chance even if he is rumored to fumble; and these are rumors not fact. We are losing anyway and he has a ceiling to hit the edges and have vision better than skov
Also if we do not give Marshall and/or Allen some carries, we will be back to the same issue next year with no experience at BB.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Fans need to take accountability ?? That's laughable, seems that we the fans actually have to pay to attend the games, we don't have scholarships. Get serious!