#GTvsMIA Postgame. Tech falls short 33-30

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I read your posts the same way I listen to Collins' press conferences. You are basically the exact same thing as Collins, but from the opposite perspective. Whereas he is hyper positive to a fault, you are hyper negative to a fault. I'm not sure what your objective is, but you would probably have more of an effect/impact if you dialed it down a little.
Hyper positive = used car salesman ?

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Good GENERAL assessment. Here are some specifics:
Punter made a great saving play as a result of poor blocking. Overall punting is still somewhat below expectations.
Short yardage run D was very good. Overall run D still bad. Tackling spotty.
Only one sack. Too many wide open receivers. Two busted coverages. One for a TD. Other a long gain. No excuse. Time for some new faces including coaches.
Play calling on first down is killing us as we punted at least 5 times with 3rd and 10+-. Look at our miserable first down yardage (hint: it is not there) Our run game needs more 2 backs and more imagination.
Sims missed too many easy throws, especially in situations to keep the chains moving. Some more bad decisions including the turnover. Why throw the ball away on purpose backward and lose the down and the yardage? Snap was low so you have to 1. step to it and not reach for it 2. fall on it 3. pick it up without putting your knee down. 4. maybe another snap catcher?
Great kickoffs still our only consistent play (except maybe on side kicks)
Not enough D Smith. TE's not helping us much. And worth repeating: Need more imagination on run plays and more two backs
Lots of effort on D but very poor results overall. We need some sort of change on D. Seeing O effort from Sanders and Gibbs/Mason
The really good plays from Sims are offset or sometimes more than offset by missed easy throws, bad decisions, and turnovers and I just do not see the improvement
Weather is cooler. We need more minutes on the field out of our best players
I agree 100%. Many of these problems will be solved with recruiting and experience. Most of the problem solving will involve coaching. It appears that our coaching lineup needs an adjustment. That is the responsibility of CGC. He has handled recruiting very well. The coaching is suspect at best and in my opinion, how well CGC handles it, will determine the future of the program.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
This is all true but the Miami board has a somewhat different take. Basically, they are saying that it was the worst game the Canes have played all year and that Tech is terrible. IIWII
While Miami fans probably still believe they should beat everyone like they did in the 90's, I think they have even less respect for GT than some other teams. They can't see how an academic school could possibly complete. Seems like I remember one of their ex players complaining that they shouldn't ever lose to little sisters of the poor a number of years ago when we beat them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
While Miami fans probably still believe they should beat everyone like they did in the 90's, I think they have even less respect for GT than some other teams. They can't see how an academic school could possibly complete. Seems like I remember one of their ex players complaining that they shouldn't ever lose to little sisters of the poor a number of years ago when we beat them.
It is who they are. Right now, 3 game win streak notwithstanding, their ideal scenario would be to win out, win the ACC championship game, win their bowl game and fire Manny and the AD under the goal posts.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
We are wasting D Smith and Mason the way we earlier wasted Cottrell.
Can you explain this? Especially the last part.

I know you've asked for more 2-back sets in previous posts so maybe that's where you're heading. I hope you're not suggesting taking carries away from Gibbs. He is the best player on the team and one of the best all around backs in the country IMO.

How did we waste Cottrell? He was a guy without a position in this offense. He's also playing in the NFL now or at least with a team. Seems like he was set up for more success than I or anyone else thought he would have. In fact many laughed when Collins said Cottrell was an NFL player and said it was part of his positive schtick.

I think Cottrell could've been used well in the previous offense, just not this one. Again, IMO.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Can you explain this? Especially the last part.

I know you've asked for more 2-back sets in previous posts so maybe that's where you're heading. I hope you're not suggesting taking carries away from Gibbs. He is the best player on the team and one of the best all around backs in the country IMO.

How did we waste Cottrell? He was a guy without a position in this offense. He's also playing in the NFL now or at least with a team. Seems like he was set up for more success than I or anyone else thought he would have. In fact many laughed when Collins said Cottrell was an NFL player and said it was part of his positive schtick.

I think Cottrell could've been used well in the previous offense, just not this one. Again, IMO.
I have strong feelings about Cottrell. He was amazing in high school, lightning fast, agile, and could dunk a basketball with ease. I was super excited when we recruited him and felt like Tennessee let one slip through their fingers.

He looked amazing in practice when he got here and then he broke his leg. He never looked the same after that. He lost lateral speed and seemed to compensate by bulking up since he could no longer skate around tacklers and had to rely on breaking the tackle.

I’m sure he’s fine but I still mourn what could have been. Snoddy was another one, though his break was much worse and ended his career. Both these guys were track stars that would have excelled in the NFL as slot receivers.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry if it's been covered but I just rewatched the game... Does anyone else think it was a bad idea to wear white helmets vs Miami given they wear white helmets too. I'm not trying to be funny but just saw couple plays where Simms held the ball too long and I was wondering if it took extra processing time for him to identify who our guys were... Sorry if this seems stupid but didn't really understand why we would wear white helmets vs team that wears white helmets.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if it's been covered but I just rewatched the game... Does anyone else think it was a bad idea to wear white helmets vs Miami given they wear white helmets too. I'm not trying to be funny but just saw couple plays where Simms held the ball too long and I was wondering if it took extra processing time for him to identify who our guys were... Sorry if this seems stupid but didn't really understand why we would wear white helmets vs team that wears white helmets.
Nah he just hasn’t progressed much

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I have strong feelings about Cottrell. He was amazing in high school, lightning fast, agile, and could dunk a basketball with ease. I was super excited when we recruited him and felt like Tennessee let one slip through their fingers.

He looked amazing in practice when he got here and then he broke his leg. He never looked the same after that. He lost lateral speed and seemed to compensate by bulking up since he could no longer skate around tacklers and had to rely on breaking the tackle.

I’m sure he’s fine but I still mourn what could have been. Snoddy was another one, though his break was much worse and ended his career. Both these guys were track stars that would have excelled in the NFL as slot receivers.
Agree Cottrell and Snoddy were similar players. Both also had injuries that severely changed the trajectory of their careers.

I too was excited about Cottrell coming out of HS. He was made to play aback in CPJ’s offense. Very athletic and great top end speed.

I think where he and Snoddy both struggled was short area quickness and change of direction. That’s why I think both would’ve struggled in the slot. Top end speed in nice for that spot, but being to get in if and out of breaks is more important. I think both of those but we’re more one cut and go guys.

Snoddy particularly that one season was making great plays before he got hurt. Running strong too.