#GTvsCUSE Postgame

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I still don’t believe Syracuse’s offense is good, which is why we needed to avoid turnovers and make them drive the entire field.
I believe the problem is a lot of Tech fans haven’t contextualized how different the game is when we are averaging close to 14 drives a game vs the 10-11 in previous years. Syracuse had the ball 16 times and scored 30 offensive points with those drives. That is not good at all. Our offense just decided to also not be very good.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The defensive backfield play this year cannot be compared to last year. Does the loss of Tre Swilling make that much of a difference, and why?

I contend that it does. Although I cannot explain why. Perhaps not having a lock down corner affects the rest of the backfield. It is hard for me to see what the coverages are on TV, so I am not going to try to give a reason. My contention is the the defensive backfield has regressed from last year. The only other phase of the game that is similar is special teams.

UCF receivers were easily open on any man coverages, and the 'cuse receivers were getting separation. FSU was an outlier, but they appear to be a real dumpster fire.

Need to get Swilling back. One of my sources says it is a turf toe, but whatever it is I hope he returns soon.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
After taking some time to sit with this and focus on other things (long walk with my pup through the forest, playing with our two year old daughter and eating pretend oatmeal - don't knock it till you try it) I am glad we have this bye week. We need Clayton to practice his way back into shape. Need to get Swilling and Mason back and maybe one more of the DE and TE group and all of a sudden we will look like a better team.

Lets heal up and be better. Go Tech

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
After taking some time to sit with this and focus on other things (long walk with my pup through the forest, playing with our two year old daughter and eating pretend oatmeal - don't knock it till you try it) I am glad we have this bye week. We need Clayton to practice his way back into shape. Need to get Swilling and Mason back and maybe one more of the DE and TE group and all of a sudden we will look like a better team.

I have found that a long walk with a puppy dog is a great way to get your mind rite as the kids used to say. Relaxing and refreshing so it is.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think he deserves at least 4 years into his contract. If after 4 years he has righted the ship, I think he earns the rest of his contract. If not, I think serious consideration must be made to bite the bullet.

Both Miami and FSU yanked coaches early into their contracts. Willie only got about a year and a half before FSU sent him packing albeit with a big buyout no doubt. I believe it causes more problems than it solves to do this. Give the man time to do things his way. He thinks Tech is sitting on a recruiting gold mine that he can get much more from the 404 than has been the case with Tech in recent years. He may be right or he may be wrong. Let's wait and see how it shakes out.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Both Miami and FSU yanked coaches early into their contracts. Willie only got about a year and a half before FSU sent him packing albeit with a big buyout no doubt. I believe it causes more problems than it solves to do this. Give the man time to do things his way. He thinks Tech is sitting on a recruiting gold mine that he can get much more from the 404 than has been the case with Tech in recent years. He may be right or he may be wrong. Let's wait and see how it shakes out.

As much as he has shown so far that he is not a complete head football coach and may never be. I completely agree with this. We have no choice but to give him time to see if he could grow into the position. I do think if he could learn how to be a head coach that his ceiling is higher than CPJ. But as of now things are trending toward never being as good as CPJ

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
And we don't have the money to make a change now. Reality is we were losing money before Covid 19. And we are still suffering correctly from previous dismissal with large buyouts. To his credit, Paul Johnson did not saddle the program with that.

Collins strength is recruiting. I think we need a couple of recruiting classes to get the players he said he needs. After that, there are no excuses for results. But today's results are still concerning. Pre-snap penalties in basically empty stadiums is a mess, the special teams disaster on FG and XP is inexcusable, and our defensive backs getting beat so consistently deep all point to lack of coaching. So the coaches need to correct things which are obvious flaws and we will realize inexperience will still cause issues. The other thing in recruiting is we seem to be struggling bringing in Defensive Tackles and Linebackers. You will never have a consistent defense without those positions having the right personnel.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that the things limiting our success offensively are all things which can be fixed. Given the youth and limitations in normal procedure with COVID, I don't expect the problems to completely disappear. I never played football, but I have competed at a high level (pool player, local tournaments and have competed against some pros). While it's not nearly the same thing, I recognize how much hinges upon the mental aspects of the game. The team has not established themselves and learned how to win and manage expectations. We have significant positive signals of mental grit, but putting things together consistently and making execution on the field an unconscious expectation are not yet established. Sadly there's no substitute for experience here. You take your lumps and you continue an intentional approach that makes execution of good decisions more likely and eventually you find yourself doing what you're supposed to automatically and no longer remembering why it was so much of a struggle to get there.

The hazard is indulging doubts. Abandoning good ideas that haven't connected yet. Trying to wing it. Yes you have to look at what happened and learn from it, but if the issue is you made an execution mistake on an otherwise good decision that is reasonable to expect you to execute in the future, you keep at it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Add getting Ryans back. He is the only guy who has shown an ability to get to the QB. Maybe he was the one more DE, but based on both their first games, I’d say getting Ryans back is more important than Clayton.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@ibeattetris called attention to the Syracuse drive chart in a different thread. It is definitely interesting.

GT
1601342746604.png

Syracuse

1601342579292.png

Observations:
  • Syracuse had two (2) drives greater than 50 yards for the entire game
  • The 4th quarter might go down as the worst offensive performance of the year, in any game
    • Of the drives that began in the 4th quarter, the teams combined for 33 yards of offense
    • GT gained 11 yards total
    • Syracuse gained 22 yards total... and they extended their lead via pick 6

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The hazard is indulging doubts. Abandoning good ideas that haven't connected yet. Trying to wing it. Yes you have to look at what happened and learn from it, but if the issue is you made an execution mistake on an otherwise good decision that is reasonable to expect you to execute in the future, you keep at it.
I especially agree with this part of your post. I will never forget a life lesson my dad taught me playing Gin Rummy, you don’t switch horses mid stream. There is a point where you can switch strategies and recover after a poor start, but beyond that you have to ride what you’ve got till a break comes.

It’s true in cards, it’s true in sports and it is definitely true in life.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
@ibeattetris called attention to the Syracuse drive chart in a different thread. It is definitely interesting.

GT
View attachment 9118

Syracuse

View attachment 9117

Observations:
  • Syracuse had two (2) drives greater than 50 yards for the entire game
  • The 4th quarter might go down as the worst offensive performance of the year, in any game
    • Of the drives that began in the 4th quarter, the teams combined for 33 yards of offense
    • GT gained 11 yards total
    • Syracuse gained 22 yards total... and they extended their lead via pick 6
This is exactly why I'm still confused why we keep harping on the D.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I listened to his press conference and 1 other interview after the FSU game and he mentioned having to be more disciplined in practice due to Rona. I think he already thinks he’s managing discipline effectively. We just gotta hope CGC takes the bye week and does a gut check with the team and we come out better. Tough slate to do that with unfortunately. We’re probably going to get absolutely pounded 5 of the next 6 games. That’s what made this game so important. We could end up 2-7 going into Dook and NcSt. We’re not going to get any recruiting lift looking like a complete dumpster fire.
Could happen, but it’s probably not as bad as it seems. I’m furious about the TO’s and penalties, but if the staff truly knows what they’re doing this stuff can be corrected and we could look pretty good. I have my concerns a out CDP’s play calling for sure. I’ve seen posts that point out he’s exploiting weaknesses, but when you watch it there’s little flow to it. We don’t seem to use play A to setup play B. Then again, maybe that’s just not an attribute of this style of offense.

Ramble aside, the offense has moved the ball pretty well at times. Just gotta stop unforced errors and TO’s (and make a damn kick, for God’s sake) and we will be ok.