#GTvsCUSE Postgame

LibertyTurns

Banned
Calling FSU a dumpster fire is like the kettle calling the pot black. I guess they might be a bigger dumpster fire.
If you’ve averaged Top 10 recruiting classes and you find yourself getting beaten like a rented mule, yeah you’re a dumpster fire. FSU is 28-27 in the last 4 years, well that probably puts them ranked #45. If you’re averaging Top 40 recruiting classes and you find yourself #75, well that’s pretty sorry too but not as bad as squandering all that top talent. GT’s 24-25 the last 4 years and that’s with last’s year’s rebuild if you will. Not sure if that’s as big a dumpster fire when you add it all up. Just my opinion.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A lot of crazy football games yesterday. It’s not just us. The Mississippi State QB threw for 625 yards. They were unranked, first year in a new offensive system, and not expected to do much. Conversely. All kinds of top 10 teams lost.

To me, the kicking unit should skip the weight lifting, and all other parts of practice and do nothing but kick over a 10 foot wall all week long. It is not difficult, High school kids do it every week.

Penalties, guys just have to settle down and play. It’s about poise and control and focus. Turnovers is a split second push - Sims made some great throws under pressure that turned into points. He just has to do a better job of reading the risk - the TD to Gibbs was a difficult, unlikely throw. But Gibbs only had a trailing LB on him with no safety help, so what’s the worst that could happen? On the other side, forcing a throw into a WR double covered with also a LB underneath is too much risk...pull the ball down and turn it up field, living for another day. Run more plays that help him in that regard.

Syracuse scores 17 points off our turnovers. We effectively had about 8 possessions to their 16. Very similar to UCF - hard to win against much of anybody when you do that to yourself.

Louisville’s only win this year was a squeaker over Western Kentucky. We can beat them if we clean our game up. Plus, it’s another Atlantic team. We’re something like 13-2 against our non-permanent crossover in the last 10-12 years.

I remember playing Miami in 2015 and having 9 fumbles. We’ve been here before. We can get out of it if we focus on it. We have the ability to win games this year.

Got the ability? Maybe. But we just lost to what should have been the weakest team on our remaining schedule. So I doubt we will be favored for the rest of the season.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, I had no idea this existed. Here is the advanced box score from our game.

Some of the things that stand out:
  • Our offensive line was solid with 3.1 average line yards per rush (we only broke 3 twice last year against VT and Citadel)
  • Our dbs need some work
  • 4th quarters strongly hurt us for the second week in a row
There's a lot in there, and I'm glad to know there is an easy way to get game data like this.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Replay scores against us last year , 52.10.27.24 38,41,21,20,33,45,26,and 52 for an avg of 32.4 not much write home about. other we did have so many 3 and outs last year
That’s true. But Syracuse offense was supposed to be inept.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

• Our offensive line was solid with 3.1 average line yards per rush (we only broke 3 twice last year against VT and Citadel)
  • Our dbs need some work
There's a lot in there, and I'm glad to know there is an easy way to get game data like this.
This is an awesome find. 👐🏼👏🏼👐🏼👏🏼👐🏼Thanks for sharing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

• Our dbs need some work
Wow excellent find!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Does anybody know where I can find the post game pc?
I've seen it as it was shared with media. Not sure why it hasn't been edited to be public, though there is a different Zoom set-up for away games.

Happy to answer any questions that you or others have. I didn't really take much away from it, good or bad, aside from what has already been tweeted that CGC took responsibility for the lack of performance.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I've seen it as it was shared with media. Not sure why it hasn't been edited to be public, though there is a different Zoom set-up for away games.

Happy to answer any questions that you or others have. I didn't really take much away from it, good or bad, aside from what has already been tweeted that CGC took responsibility for the lack of performance.
Thanks I just wanted to watch it, I didn’t have any questions

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest takeaway is the FSU game gave us a false sense on security. FSU is bad and Miami showed it. Obviously this game was not the game anyone was hoping for. I still don’t believe Syracuse’s offense is good, which is why we needed to avoid turnovers and make them drive the entire field. Instead we gave them short fields to work with because of turnovers plus we gave up a few big plays. Our D isn’t good enough to makeup for turnovers. The penalties were atrocious, but I don’t recall that being a problem last year so I expect to clean that up. Our kicking game is embarrassing and there is no sugar coating it.

Unfortunately on offense I don’t think we have a QB who is truly ready to be a starter. Sims has plenty of talent but he’s having to learn on the job so mistakes will be higher than any of us would like. The Oline probably had their worst game this year but I still see improvement over last year. Turnovers took away a good chance at a W. The bye week couldn’t have come soon enough. Here is hoping Ryans, Swilling, Owens, and the two Dylan’s play in Two weeks.