#GTvsCUSE Postgame

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
OK here is my take on things so far. Basically it is on the players. They are the ones making the mistakes, turnovers and lack of execution. When you look across our roster we have guys with good size and athletic ability. I don't sense that we are our outmanned by our opponents to date. In fact I sense the opposite so far. Now down the road as we play Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame we will be outmanned.

At some point, these guys have to look in the mirror and commit to fixing the problems. It appears to me that there is a lack of internal leadership on this team and I think it has been that way at Tech for a while. We really just don't have those alpha males that take over when the chips are down and demand the best of everybody on the team. In our two losses, we actually beat ourselves and good teams don't do that. It is hard enough to win when you play your best.

I hope our guys will find a way to pull themselves together and fix the problems. If they do we have a chance to be competitive with Louisville, BC, Pittsburgh, Duke and NC State. I really don't think we can hang with Clemson, Miami or ND even if we play well to be honest. It would take something screwy for us to take one of those games. It looks like screwy is only working against us lately, but that comes with a losing attitude and that's another thing we seem to be developing and we need to eliminate.

Our coaching is unproven and to my way of thinking this staff is too much into how our players feel than they are into demanding results. I could be wrong about that but that is my general impression. Collins has a vision and a goal of molding Tech into an elite program. I know he understands that he has to produce at some point in time or his dreams will go up in smoke. Despite the 7 year deal, if things don't begin to turn in a positive direction he knows he will not reach his destination. I'm pulling for all these coaches. I think they all are good people, and truly love what they are doing. The challenge is they have to produce results or they won't get the opportunity to continue what they love. They have to demand more out of our players.

I just feel like we could have won these last 2 games with a better effort. We are not good enough to expect to beat anybody but we are good enough to be competitive with most everyone left on our schedule but we have to eliminate to a large extent the mistakes we have been making so far.

Go Jackets!

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Three games in, we're sitting at 1-2, and it seems like some of you are ready to give up on CGC, Sims, and/or team.

Let these players play and let the coaches coach and let's see how the season goes.

This is CGC's 2nd season helming our program and he and the staff decided to start a true freshman QB. Let's not get too carried away with how we react/vent to a frustrating couple of games.

It also feels like the FSU W kind of gave us an unnecessary bump in expectations for this season? I think for me that was because I saw slivers of potential with Sims-led offense and got excited about some of the risks we took on defense that ended up paying off in that game but clearly that was an extremely small sample-set.

Call me crazy but I'm still optimistic about this program's future but certainly understand the frustration/venting today.

I’m embarrassed by the comments. Coach has an extremely young inexperienced team. They have to learn and grow. I will say, I need to see more disciplined football against Louisville.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I called this one. We were not even awake at the beginning of this game. Coaches did not have the team ready to play and Sims made some....dare I say...decisions that remind me alot of what Reggie Ball ended up doing. I know, this is only his third game but man did that bring back some interesting memories.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After the FSU game this board had an excess of irrational exuberance (this is an example of my econ career). There were posts complaining that we were not ranked or properly respected by the media. Now I see posts casting doubt about the future of the program. Patience is a virtue. Be virtuous.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
After the FSU game this board had an excess of irrational exuberance (this is an example of my econ career). There were posts complaining that we we not ranked or properly respected by the media. Now I see posts casting doubt about the future of the program. Patience is a virtue. Be virtuous.
If you even insinuated that FSU was possibly weaker than thought after we beat them you were attacked on here. Patience is not a virtue among GT fans. I think we now know FSU is clearly a dumpster fire.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Not going to make excuses, but then drops in several excuses.

If you can’t see what people are talking about, then I don’t know what to say.

These coaches and players said in the off season that we are night and day improved in all these different aspects, and then we come out and play like we’ve played.

Are they full of crap, or was it false hope based on playing against ourselves, which turns out we’re just not very good?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Not going to make excuses, but then drops in several excuses.

If you can’t see what people are talking about, then I don’t know what to say.

These coaches and players said in the off season that we are night and day improved in all these different aspects, and then we come out and play like we’ve played.

Are they full of crap, or was it false hope based on playing against ourselves, which turns out we’re just not very good?

Did we read the same article?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we stop beating ourselves.

I think there is enough talent there to win a few games if we simply stop letting GT beat us...
The problem with doing this is that you don’t play in a vacuum. The other team is doing their best to make you beat yourself. If you’re making stupid mistakes that you don’t make in practice, maybe the opposition in the game has a little to do with it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you even insinuated that FSU was possibly weaker than thought after we beat them you were attacked on here. Patience is not a virtue among GT fans. I think we now know FSU is clearly a dumpster fire.
Calling FSU a dumpster fire is like the kettle calling the pot black. I guess they might be a bigger dumpster fire.

Two points from some comments.
You all need to read that book, Over the Top. It is the story of the 1990 National championship. It really began in 1989. After 3 losses, none of them bad the players got together and team leaders emerged. The second revelation was CRF and Ross decided that they needed to change their vision of the offense and rely on one player. Jerry Mays. Mays was fully recovered from an ACL back in 1987. They said they were going to win or lose on Mays' running. Well, they won 7 out of 8 games and beat UGA.

Point being, recognize what you have and change your game to that. Mays was a probably a 2 star. What this staff needs to do is go back and figure out how to re-align the offense to the pieces. Coach P is trying to execute what he wants and not doing this.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
After the FSU game this board had an excess of irrational exuberance (this is an example of my econ career). There were posts complaining that we were not ranked or properly respected by the media. Now I see posts casting doubt about the future of the program. Patience is a virtue. Be virtuous.

I did get blasted a bit for calling FSU a dumpster fire after our win over them and expressing concern over the play calling, head coach not seeming ready and the undisciplined play across the board.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our BAD loss to cfu shook up our baby QB to where he has not recovered--that is on our AD
Today the rest was on GC for not preparing the team.--- 15!!!! penalties and a bunch were dumb, a record-# of FGs blocked (hi school teams do bettter), 6-18 on 3rd down, etc
remember 1981?

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
Two points from some comments.
You all need to read that book, Over the Top. It is the story of the 1990 National championship. It really began in 1989. After 3 losses, none of them bad the players got together and team leaders emerged. The second revelation was CRF and Ross decided that they needed to change their vision of the offense and rely on one player. Jerry Mays. Mays was fully recovered from an ACL back in 1987. They said they were going to win or lose on Mays' running. Well, they won 7 out of 8 games and beat UGA.

Point being, recognize what you have and change your game to that. Mays was a probably a 2 star. What this staff needs to do is go back and figure out how to re-align the offense to the pieces. Coach P is trying to execute what he wants and not doing this.
The book is called "Focused on the Top: Georgia Tech's Championship Story" by Jack Wilkinson. Great read for any GT fan. I remember the Citrus Bowl vs. Nebraska like it was yesterday.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
What was with all the whistles before and during the game. Has my hearing gone funny, or did anyone else hear them?

I thought the purpose of any scheme was to get a numbers advantage in a specific area, not to play 11 on 11. CPJ was good at that and I have seen read option teams that were good at it. Maybe our guys can't move well enough to do that. I am not a coach, so I don't really know what is going on.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
What was with all the whistles before and during the game. Has my hearing gone funny, or did anyone else hear them?
Syracuse was pumping whistle noises into the stadium while we were on offense. My stepdad heard it and was like, "What the hell is that? How are they allowed to pump in whistle noises to make it sound like refs are blowing their whistles?"

Which honestly I am wondering the same thing. How was that allowed?