GTSwarm Remaining Season Outlook

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Good post. I wish we could stop the over the top posts that create the need for posts like this. Everyone gets upset after losses, and I've had my share of frustration this year, but it is just a game, and we should be supporting our school and the student athletes win or lose. Hopefully we won't need anymore of these and we can get back to supporting and discussing the team.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like this board best. I previously posted at stingtalk but I am done with that board. Very immature and the same crappy posters cluttering the board with their same crap day after day. It was a fun board some time ago. I doubt I ever even log back in over there.

Anyways, gotta keep pressing on I guess. At the very least boomer and longestday get to do some compelling yet unfortunate analysis this season focusing on what happens when the offense breaks down!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just FM(my)I, is it possible that someone else can use your login? You had some posts that I lumped in with your "yahoos."
I respect your opinion -
Also - how appropriate - calling me a yahoo in a thread about unity for the season --
Classic

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I like this thread, especially the first post. We get so little of college football over the year. Even though things are not going the way we hoped and expected, I still plan to keep going to home games, watching away games on TV, reading this board, and going to the CPJ radio show live. It will be over before we know it. Just try to enjoy the little things - I think we have some fight left in us and there will be some high points to come, and moments to remember.

Go Jackets! THWg!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we have some fight left in us and there will be some high points to come, and moments to remember.

My favorite GT football moment of the past few years was being in attendance with my dad at the 2011 Clemson game. Hot start, followed by disappointing losing streak and fall from rankings, then inexplicable upset of top 5 team. Now, the rest of the year was a roller coaster and ended in disappointment, but that moment was incredible, and I won't let that season's overall result taint it.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not much into online forums as a whole. I just don't have the time to invest, but I love my Jackets and have bounced here and there around other sites only to be run off by the constant complaining. I found this site last year, and I must admit I check it almost daily. I don't post often (though I do believe I've posted more than the number shown by my screen name). I don't feel I need to as I really don't have any inside scoop or great untapped wisdom. When I post it is usually to remind the gripers that we should be proud to be fans in good times and bad.

I have lived away from Atlanta for almost 25 years and hope to be moving back in the coming year. The FIRST thing of importance I want to do when I return is get season tickets. I would give anything to cheer this team on - during this frustrating season - because anyone will cheer when things are going great. And it is threads like this one that keep me wandering this forum, quietly and discreetly reading over everyone's shoulders. GO TECH!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not much into online forums as a whole. I just don't have the time to invest, but I love my Jackets and have bounced here and there around other sites only to be run off by the constant complaining. I found this site last year, and I must admit I check it almost daily. I don't post often (though I do believe I've posted more than the number shown by my screen name). I don't feel I need to as I really don't have any inside scoop or great untapped wisdom. When I post it is usually to remind the gripers that we should be proud to be fans in good times and bad.

I have lived away from Atlanta for almost 25 years and hope to be moving back in the coming year. The FIRST thing of importance I want to do when I return is get season tickets. I would give anything to cheer this team on - during this frustrating season - because anyone will cheer when things are going great. And it is threads like this one that keep me wandering this forum, quietly and discreetly reading over everyone's shoulders. GO TECH!
I moved back last year and did the same thing. You won't regret it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Look. Let's be real. Paul has had 2 11 win seasons at GT in 6 years. Who has even come close to that in modern era. Sure maybe GOL would have. Or maybe Ross would have. But the fact remains what he does on a general does and can work.

The consistency part is on the school more than Paul. Consistency is what we all want but no coach at tech has done it. It's just for whatever reason part of the total school. We can get in good enough athletes to be consistent. It's just for whatever reason those same kids choose other programs and we get good kids we have to grow. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

Now. Am I for continual improvement and tweaks to his program when there are obvious deficiencies. Absolutely. The D remains an issue. And I also don't think we have had the right dc here yet. Are there still tweaks on O that can help our personnel? I think so. My opinion is yes. But Paul likes what he likes and it can work. But we have upgraded our recruiting team. I still think we need to add 1-2 more to that staff. Our facilities are about as nice as they can get for a city school. Our school and location is a strong selling point. The reality is we were bound for a bad year after 18 ok or good years. Fsu had one. Uga had one. Florida. Tennessee. Texas. Every blue blood program has em.

And how did those coaching changes work? Disasters. Well fsu is ok. But u get my point.

I am all for Paul. I am all for small tweaks. I am also real in the sense tech will struggle to win 9-10 a year like a uga. For whatever reasons. Not excuses. Reasons.

If tech football rebounds in 2016. Then we have a healthy program with a blip. If it doesn't then we don't. Blips happen. But the next year has to respond.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look. Let's be real. Paul has had 2 11 win seasons at GT in 6 years. Who has even come close to that in modern era. Sure maybe GOL would have. Or maybe Ross would have. But the fact remains what he does on a general does and can work.

The consistency part is on the school more than Paul. Consistency is what we all want but no coach at tech has done it. It's just for whatever reason part of the total school. We can get in good enough athletes to be consistent. It's just for whatever reason those same kids choose other programs and we get good kids we have to grow. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

Now. Am I for continual improvement and tweaks to his program when there are obvious deficiencies. Absolutely. The D remains an issue. And I also don't think we have had the right dc here yet. Are there still tweaks on O that can help our personnel? I think so. My opinion is yes. But Paul likes what he likes and it can work. But we have upgraded our recruiting team. I still think we need to add 1-2 more to that staff. Our facilities are about as nice as they can get for a city school. Our school and location is a strong selling point. The reality is we were bound for a bad year after 18 ok or good years. Fsu had one. Uga had one. Florida. Tennessee. Texas. Every blue blood program has em.

And how did those coaching changes work? Disasters. Well fsu is ok. But u get my point.

I am all for Paul. I am all for small tweaks. I am also real in the sense tech will struggle to win 9-10 a year like a uga. For whatever reasons. Not excuses. Reasons.

If tech football rebounds in 2016. Then we have a healthy program with a blip. If it doesn't then we don't. Blips happen. But the next year has to respond.
This is a good post. I would like to add that I am looking for a rebound THIS season, not next. PITT would be a good start. We have had multiple years in a row of good defense here, all within recent memory, so it CAN happen. Gailey's teams with Tenuta as DC had enough stopping power to render the 2014 version of offense a national champ. It is not that far fetched. Roof and Pelton are doing some good things. We just need to get the right kids in here and grow them up some. A disruptive DL would make them look like geniuses. Don't just look at Jabari either. Our DEs haven't gotten a lot done on the edge either.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
The consistency part is on the school more than Paul. Consistency is what we all want but no coach at tech has done it. It's just for whatever reason part of the total school. ...

Chan Gailey was a marvel of consistency. His teams won 7 games every year except for the one year they won 9.

CPJ has definitely added some volatility to the win-loss schedule. Happily, that has included win totals not seen since 1990. Unhappily, we are in danger of seeing a loss total not seen since 1994.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey was a marvel of consistency. His teams won 7 games every year except for the one year they won 9.

CPJ has definitely added some volatility to the win-loss schedule. Happily, that has included win totals not seen since 1990. Unhappily, we are in danger of seeing a loss total not seen since 1994.

I have always said i would trade one bad for one great year vs the chan factor

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Recruiting matters. We will never bring in a class like Bama. What we need are a series of classes like last year. We also need to balance class sizes to minimize ups and downs year to year. I think most agree we need to be able to put a solid core of 4th n 5th year seniors on the field year to year. Big Schools may get the Clowneys of the world. We can compete by developing the Morgans and Attouchos. But it's hard to throw out a 230 lb 18 yoa DE and expect him to succeed vs a 21 yoa 315 lb OT.

Continuity, the lack of, has been a problem at Tech my whole life. For various reasons. Curry bolted to Bama. Ross bolted to the NFL....we bolted from BL, O'leary bolted for ND (then we bolted from bringing him back), then we gave Chan the can. I think programs are way to quick to pull the trigger. If Tennessee had kept Fulmer they would have won at least one SEC champ in the time since and maybe several. I think continuity plays a big part in success with recruiting. I was actually in favor of keeping Chan another year but I wasn't adamant about it (and he lost me when he played Reuben Houston).

I think continuity is starting to pay off. Last year was a monster year bringing in solid recruits. That class will leave an impact when all is said and done. If we can continue to recruit at the same level for the next few years life will be good. It's gonna be hard to do this year IMO. The class size will be small, which may help. But I worry that the time needed for the many fixes for our team may hurt our coaches persuit and contact with current recruits. Just a guess and hope like hell Im wrong. I don't envy the many tasks our coaches have to manage.

Continuity with our program will help us. This year and moving forward. Recruits are far more likely to consider us if they believe our current staff is likely be with them long term.

Edit:
I think Va Tech is the best example of this. They don't have our curriculum problems but do have their own disadvantages. A stadium about the size of ours...located in the backwater of Va. But the continuity of their program has been a big reason for the success they have had IMO.

Last edited: